Halloween Forum banner
181 - 200 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 4 plants are doing well, if a little pale. There's probably still some transplant shock going on, but I also guess they need some nitrogen. There's 10-10-10 in there with them, but I may need to supplement a bit until they can get to what's mixed into the soil. Don't want to give them too much or I'm afraid I'll end up with all leaves and no pumpkins!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I used bloom booster last time I grew pukkins when I had like 4-7 male flowers but no females so that may help. I just put the booster in a squirt bottle and used it like thinking everyday maybe?
I am thinking that you had must have bigger issues with so few flowers. I would fertilize with whatever granular fertilizer that you have at a local source (HD/Lowes) that has at least as much phosphorous as it does nitrogen like 13-13-13. It should only set you back about $18. I would spread it throughout the entire patch and the stump site. Bloom Booster is like a can of red bull, it is a short term boost but cannot be your main diet. While I am a believer in foliar sprays, I think it works better for micronutrients.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,646 Posts
OK, I'll backread all 10 pages later, just popping in to say I've got 4 turban gourd seedlings ready to go & be planted in the garden, but I think after last years decorative gourd debacle (waaaaay too many vines that took over too quickly & kinds ruined other things), I will probably only plant ONE in the garden, the rest will go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Great advise like usual! I may start calling you Pumpkin Yoda or something that gets the point across
Hardly, lol. Every regular here has had better success the last three years than me. But, I play an all or nothing game. And of course with my soil disease, I am basically just banging my head against the wall.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,785 Posts
My plants...if I end up with any...will be sooo behind, this year. Between the weather (going from too hot to too cold, rinse and repeat), the animals digging up seeds, digging holes and disturbing roots, pulling them out, entirely, and eating the leaves, plus, my seed germination being entirely worse than usual with seeds, that actually germinated, just dying without sprouting (indoors or outdoors)...this is craziness! I have no idea what is going on, this year, for me. I don't know...maybe I just have too much to deal with, right now, but I feel like I'm still giving enough attention to all my seeds/plants/gardens...

I lost a bunch of my Giant and Mammoth Sunflower seedlings, too...ripped right out of the ground and broken. I've just put more fencing around the remainder of them in the hopes that whatever is wanting them, so badly, will finally leave the rest alone. (Not to mention, more digging in and tearing up my herb planters, flower planters and daily, complete destruction of my large fairy garden planter...I finally called it quits, on that, today. I took out all the flowers in there and planted them in smaller pots, took down and put away most of my fairy garden pieces, besides a few smaller ones that I tucked into the smaller pots, and moved and emptied out the big planter. Very depressing...I've had that fairy garden set up for years. The animals dig it up worse and worse, each year, just like all my other plants, pumpkins and veggies. This year was the last straw. I'm just not up to fighting so much with redoing things, replanting things...I have to pick my battles, now. My luck, they will just dig up the small pots, now, lol...sigh.)

I will say, I am thoroughly let down by those expensive new hybrid Kandy Korn Bush Style mini pumpkin seeds I ordered. I mean, you only get ten seeds in a packet and, so far, I haven't been having very good germination with them. It's seeming like mostly dud seeds. I have tried starting them in baggies, direct sow and in my greenhouse...no good all around. I FINALLY got one to germinate and seems to have a good root on it, so I planted it in a pot and put it in my greenhouse to keep it safe from animals and cool weather until it can sprout and get stronger...I'm not risking it, outside, yet!!!! I need to get a second one, at least, that way I can have one and my mother in law can, too. Ug. What a waste of money. If we do get any to grow and bear fruit, I hope they give us a fair amount to make up for the rest of the lost seeds...and I'll definitely have to save some seeds from one!

I suppose the one good thing about a late start...maybe the evil bugs that take over my pumpkin/gourd/squash plants will think I didn't plant, this year, and move on elsewhere! A witch can dream...

I do have a gourd seedling and two JBL seedlings up, outside, in their spots...so that's something. No true leaves, yet, though. I'm hoping they will do well, and the ones coming up in my little indoor greenhouse will fully sprout, survive the transplant, outdoors, with them, too, and they will all do well. I've got a couple good JBL seedlings and a good Pie pumpkin seedling going, with their first true leaves coming in, for my mother in law...just need to get her a couple Gourd seedlings and a Kandy Korn going.

Lol, at this stage, you almost laugh, then cry, because you know that, even if you can get some seedlings going strong and starting to vine...you will just move to the next stage of the fight: insects, weather and powdery mildew. (Insert hysterical crazy person laughter, here.)🎃
:crazy: <---I just saw these new HF pumpkin smileys...umm...kinda weird, lol. Can someone find the original ones?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Stay in the fight, the lot of you! I've got 7 seeds growing right now in less than ideal situations (maybe 3/4 sun through the sunny days). My property is 1700sq ft with like 5 fully mature trees...I mean this literally...if you Google map a birds-eye view of my yard and house, its sorta like looking down through a forest BUT I have been making mental notes of what areas get most sun. The show must go on!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,785 Posts
Lol, oh, I'll keep fighting to grow pumpkins/gourds for as long as I can!

I shake my head when I think back to earlier years' Pumpkin Growers' threads, how many members participated, and how well many of us did...then it suddenly just went downhill (Though, some still do very well!).
Some of us are still here, fighting the good fight, though!
All I can keep saying, each year, is I hope we all have a better year, this year! It still applies! I have good years, and I have bad years. We will see what this year, eventually brings. I'm hoping to see some awesome pumpkin and gourd pics at the end of this growing season!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
This year's goal is to plant all of the old seeds:
2020 JBL & Various Gourds
2021 Fairytale, Cinderella, White Boer, etc
Some of the JBLs are from 2018 - so I planted the whole packet. It would be great if they grow but it's OK if they don't. Honestly, it's great to have space in the Seed Stash again. The goal isn't just pumpkins, it's for all my older seeds: Zinnias, Sunflowers, Veggies.... I'm not buying new seeds until everything else is gone.

It sounds like everyone is off to a good start. I'm sorry about those Kandy Korn seeds @WitchyKitty. Hopefully you get them to grow

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Found this little guy growing in my front lawn of all places.
:unsure:
It kills me how much pampering and the hundreds of hours that I spend on one plant, then a random seed dropped in a random place pops up looking beautiful. What a frustrating hobby. lol

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
I just got through re-reading this entire thread. It amazes me that my first post on Feb. 5th mentioned that it was time to get started because February would be over in "a blink of the eye." I intrinsically know that time flies fast, but it is still hard to imagine that June is almost here. June......just amazing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Iowa just had two solid days/nights of decent rain (not light and not heavy but steady), which all my 7 plants got to drink. Sorry Col. Fryght, I didn't follow your advise and just plant 1 or 2 seeds...have you noticed the trend im very ambitious and seem to bite off more than I can chew? Now for the waiting game which I will always suck at...

·
Registered
57 Posts
We've had several days of scattered showers and cooler temps (well, 80 IS cooler than the 90s we had last week!). I think it's just what everything in my garden needed to jumpstart past the transplant shock. Pumpkins are starting to green up a bit from being worryingly pale. I usually give the tomatoes and peppers a little calcium nitrate to head off blossom end rot, so I gave the pumpkins a dose too. Seems to have helped.

Now I'm just sitting here waiting for them to explode and vine everywhere. It's coming, I know it!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,785 Posts
A little good news...I finally have a few Kandy Korn pumpkin seedlings!!! Yays!!! I'm trying not to get too excited, because I still need to keep them protected and alive long enough to see what they produce. One popped up, outside, in it's spot, unexpectedly...I direct sowed a couple awhile ago and nothing happened with them, until now. Just one, tiny one.
I have two in pots, indoors...I'll be terrified to put them outside with all the animal carnage going on, out there...
(Speaking of animal carnage...I lost more of my giant/mammoth sunflower seedlings...ripped out of the ground or bitten off at the stem. Sigh. I have three left that I tried to salvage and I direct sowed a few more seeds and put up more barricades...we shall see what happens!)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 · (Edited)
This just in from Pumpkin Plant Decision Desk 2022: The pumpkin plant on the left is the winner and the one on the right will be culled this weekend.

Plant Groundcover Leaf vegetable Flowering plant Grass

Well, the winning plant is certainly getting enough nitrogen. I have not watered the stump with any nutrients so it is pulling the nitrogen out of the soil. A new student for for Cobra Kai. I enjoyed that Netflix series more than I care to admit.

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass

Why do I always feel obligated to take a hand photo? lol Not sure what it proves other than I think I must have most of the nutrients rights.

Plant Green Leaf Gesture Terrestrial plant

And finally, I have a new friend to go along with my tree frog. She has been hanging out with another female turkey and one male turkey. It is my understanding that they can remember a 1,000 acre range. It will interesting to see how long they stay. She is about 20 feet away from my fence.

Plant Reptile Beak Grass Bird

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,785 Posts
This just in from Pumpkin Plant Decision Desk 2022: The pumpkin on the left is the winner and the one on the right will be culled this weekend.

View attachment 760928

Well, the winning plant is certainly getting enough nitrogen. I have not watered the stump with any nutrients so it is pulling the nitrogen out of the soil. A new student for for Cobra Kai. I enjoyed that Netflix series more than I care to admit.

View attachment 760929

Why do I always feel obligated to a hand photo? lol Not sure what it proves other than I think I must have most of the nutrients rights.

View attachment 760930

And finally, I have a new friend to go with my tree frog. She has been hanging out with another female turkey and one male turkey. It is my understanding that they can remember a 1,000 acre range. It will interesting to see how long they stay. She is about 20 feet away from my fence.

View attachment 760932
Your plants look great...and I love turkeys!!!

181 - 200 of 282 Posts