Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeah, I did plant like 20 haha...I remember that. But, in my defense, they all died due to the farmer neglecting my crops. We had an agreement of my using their land in exchange for free labor (me helping out). The haunted hayride idea and the entire thread I created in here "Did I just go pro?" obviously fell through because, again, the farmer backed out of our verbal agreement. Like I originally said, ill prolly just plant maybe 3-4 seeds this year and roll the dice.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It is a Beautiful day here in Central Iowa (Ames)! About 56° and sunny will maybe 5mph wind here and there. Almost couldn't ask for a better day, so....I've started an experimental run of pumpkin planting. "They" say to start them indoors 3 weeks before the predicted last frost, according to the farmers almanac thats May 2nd. Im starting 2 seedlings now and then waiting maybe another week. And....im impatient! I mean, I Did just plant maybe 5 minutes ago and still nothing 😂😂. Anyways, I even read the directions on the bags you see. The food says 2-3 cups per 100sq ft, so in a planter I measured that down to a pinch (is that right?). Happy Halloween!!!
Pumpkin Plant Cucurbita Calabaza Natural foods

Material property Recipe Ingredient Drink Packaging and labeling

Ingredient Cuisine Rectangle Automotive tire Serveware

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I've seen Amazon selling grow lights that include an artificial moon light, its a dark blue'ish purple. I decided to Google what affects moonlight has on plants and pukkins specifically. 1 source says "no scientific evidence to show anything from moon light", other sources said stuff along the lines of "moon cycles". What is Your opinion(s)?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Its been below 50° for the past 3 days here in IA, winter is sure bracing the death grip on Spring. My two seedlings haven't gotten the suns UV and won't for maybe another week due to temp so I'm hoping the food and daily water inside keep them going. Then we shoot back to the 60s and almost 70s in almost a week from now. Since then I've been youtubing the crap out of pumpkin plants 101, 102, 103 etc... sorta excited to try some new things this go-around. Ill be doing mounds and also a mixture of fertilizers. There is a guy on youtube "hapayu gardening" I've been watching. Maybe check him out if you have questions! Happy Halloween!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm jealous, all of you with plants already...im hoping my ghetto setup is enough! Medical heating pad underneath and grow light w/o heat over the top, good soil mixture though! I should have Something by end of this week. If not, maybe a do-over for me

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
So, my gf black cat Amadeus has been eating my pukkin plants through the night. Lil brat has killed 2 of them and snapped one of the stems of another...so....ive replanted the 2 and moved all of them to my enclosed front porch. The temp isn't suppose to drop below 46° at night. Ill continue to use the heating pad on the new seedlings and hope for the best.

(You suck Thackary Binks!!)

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Grass Wood

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Well its 88° and sunny today here in Central IA and my gf was nice enough to help me "rehome" 4 of my 7 pukkin plants. I feel we did a decent job with the mixing of soils, adding plant food and elevating the mounds for water run off. I ran out of pete moss and whatever else I was using so the remaining 3 will have another week to grow strong on the front porch. Question....does a snapped stem mean the plant is dead even if its green? Anyways, i planted a variety of Howden Biggie and Big Max, I didn't keep track of which was in what pot so here in a few months each flower with Hopefully be a healthy surprise :p. Happy Halloween!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts