Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would get the party started. Not super warm about 45 and sunny, but I got out in the patch and did some weeding. And I mean weeding giant weeds. Once my season was over in July, I let the patch go. Last year's horse manure compost that I brought in came chock full of weed seeds.

I know I can till it under, but I did not want the large stems and branches to rob nitrogen from my soil as it decomposed. I finished about half of the patch today and will do the rest tomorrow. The goal is clear the patch of the big stuff this weekend. Next weekend, I will mow and bag the smaller stuff.

I know it seems early, but February will be over in the blink of eye. I look forward to seeing which of the regulars are growing pumpkins again this year and the new people who are willing to give it a go. :)

Weeds I took out today

Plant community Plant Twig Wood Grass

An idea of what I face tomorrow

Twig Terrestrial plant Wood Grass Plant

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
You inspired me to start a few pumpkin seeds: Fairytale & White Boer. These seeds are a few years old but should still grow. FT & WB seem to take forever to flower & have baby pumpkins. If these sprout ~ I'll start a few more & then gourds.

PS thanks for starting the 2022 Pumpkin Growers thread

Attachments

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
I was waiting to see if someone would start the thread...I was getting ready to. Thanks for starting it!

I can't do anything, outside, as the garden is buried under a whole lot of snow and ice, atm...but I did buy my seeds for this year...though I keep my eyes open for more I might like better, lol.
I'll do my minis, like JBLs and such, as usual, but, this year, I want to give some assorted Small Decorative Gourds a try and I'm trying Small Sugar Pie pumpkins, too, since those are what I prefer to paint to take out to the graves.
With my limited space, most of you know I usually do smaller varieties. We will see how it goes.

I'm trying to decide how I want to set up the pie pumpkins...they will be a little too heavy to grow on my towers like the minis and gourds. I didn't care for the low trellises I made for my Triple Treats to grow across the one year, so I may end up just growing them on the ground around the outside of the raised beds like I did the Jarrahdales. We will see. I've got plenty of time, lol. (Though, I wish I didn't have plenty of time, lol!)🎃

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kedestra you made my day. It is not often that I am accused of being an inspiration. WK, I am glad to see you back and in good spirits. I know that keeping your outdoor garden going is a challenge. I thought there would be crickets when I posted, guess I was wrong.

Every year I seem to focus on a new area to up my game. This year it will be getting my soil ready to to do battle. I have never had my soil tested for disease, but I will this spring. I do not have the luxury of rotating patches and have used the same dirt off and on for a decade. I just have a sneaky suspicion that my July troubles the last couple of years are based on soil diseases that take off in warm weather like fusarium, pythium... etc.

Anyway the game plan now, is to get the soil ready in terms of nutrients, insecticide and fungicide by mid March. Let things settle in a little and test for soil disease and nutrients in mid April. At least I have a plan, not that the garden spirits respect that plan.....lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm planning to join in this year now that I've had a chance to get my garden set up again after moving last year. I have managed to grow one single pumpkin my entire life, but I'm giving it a shot! Planning on Fall Splendor because it claims to have compact vines and PM resistance. PM is what always ends my summer gardening season here. Not in the business of growing enormous pumpkins, I'm just looking for a couple of jack-sized pumpkins the kiddo can help grow.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Kedestra you made my day. It is not often that I am accused of being an inspiration. WK, I am glad to see you back and in good spirits. I know that keeping your outdoor garden going is a challenge. I thought there would be crickets when I posted, guess I was wrong.

Every year I seem to focus on a new area to up my game. This year it will be getting my soil ready to to do battle. I have never had my soil tested for disease, but I will this spring. I do not have the luxury of rotating patches and have used the same dirt off and on for a decade. I just have a sneaky suspicion that my July troubles the last couple of years are based on soil diseases that take off in warm weather like fusarium, pythium... etc.

Anyway the game plan now, is to get the soil ready in terms of nutrients, insecticide and fungicide by mid March. Let things settle in a little and test for soil disease and nutrients in mid April. At least I have a plan, not that the garden spirits respect that plan.....lol
Your plan is well grounded & I have a similar plan but sort've different. I promised my neighbors they can have all the pumpkins that grow on their side of fence as long as their dog "Gus" (most beautiful golden retriever EVER) keeps squirrels off fence & stop them from eating pumpkins. It's an amicable solution.... but
My $$$ is on the squirrels

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
Your plan is well grounded & I have a similar plan but sort've different. I promised my neighbors they can have all the pumpkins that grow on their side of fence as long as their dog "Gus" (most beautiful golden retriever EVER) keeps squirrels off fence & stop them from eating pumpkins. It's an amicable solution.... but
My money is always on the squirrels, around here, lol...sigh. 😕

·
My other ride is a Ninja
12,013 Posts
the squirrels here they do not touch my pumpkins but trash everything else ugh i wish the little critters would go live in someone else yard lol but thats not going to happen

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I'm planning to join in this year now that I've had a chance to get my garden set up again after moving last year. I have managed to grow one single pumpkin my entire life, but I'm giving it a shot! Planning on Fall Splendor because it claims to have compact vines and PM resistance. PM is what always ends my summer gardening season here. Not in the business of growing enormous pumpkins, I'm just looking for a couple of jack-sized pumpkins the kiddo can help grow.
What growing zone are you? I've got lots of different pumpkin and gourd seeds to share if you're interested. Have you considered growing Jack B'Little pumpkins? Little kids love them

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to be out of the game this year as far as pumpkins go.

With the continued drought here, it's become apparent we really need to change how we're gardening. So, last year we started the move to raised bed gardening where I can install permanent buried drip lines, fill with a healthy dose of coconut coir for water retention, and easy sun shades installation as needed when we get continued 100+ waves. Come planting time I'm only going to have one of those ready, so it will be dedicated to the 'salsa garden' (not really salsa, per se, but mostly tomatoes) The second one is built, but not enough compost to fill it yet, I have 4-6 more to go.

I might plant a mini or two in a pot for giggles.

We're also in kind of a limbo space with my job this year as I'm currently working a 6 month extension, and past June is an unknown, so the original plan to go full xeriscaping and finish the garden was tossed right out the window until the follow on contract is awarded.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts

With the continued drought here, it's become apparent we really need to change how we're gardening. So, last year we started the move to raised bed gardening where I can install permanent buried drip lines, fill with a healthy dose of coconut coir for water retention, and easy sun shades installation as needed when we get continued 100+ waves. Come planting time I'm only going to have one of those ready, so it will be dedicated to the 'salsa garden' (not really salsa, per se, but mostly tomatoes) The second one is built, but not enough compost to fill it yet, I have 4-6 more to go.

We're also in kind of a limbo space with my job this year as I'm currently working a 6 month extension, and past June is an unknown, so the original plan to go full xeriscaping and finish the garden was tossed right out the window until the follow on contract is awarded.
Do you have rain barrels? Idk what I'd do w/out them. The temperature was so brutal last summer I had to use old sheets to shade the peppers. Sheets aren't attractive but they worked out great.

Check with your local Buy Nothing groups. People are always giving away garden items on there - I've even seen rain barrels & composters. Best of luck

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts
the squirrels here they do not touch my pumpkins but trash everything else ugh i wish the little critters would go live in someone else yard lol but thats not going to happen
Our squirrels love to get into pretty much everything...chipmunks, raccoons, and bunnies, too. They are all adorable, but they drive me crazy, too!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,752 Posts

I hope your drought lets up at some point, soon.
Even though you may not be in the big pumpkin game, this year, I hope you still post what you are doing with your garden and hope you do decided to grow some minis, just for fun, too, and show us what you get of those!
I hope your job situation ends up better, too, and yo get that contract and continuation past June!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My money is always on the squirrels, around here, lol...sigh. 😕
Our squirrels love to get into pretty much everything...chipmunks, raccoons, and bunnies, too. They are all adorable, but they drive me crazy, too!
Didn't you have a picture of a squirrel chomping on a your front porch pumpkin one year? It was a cute photo.

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
Do you have rain barrels? Idk what I'd do w/out them. The temperature was so brutal last summer I had to use old sheets to shade the peppers. Sheets aren't attractive but they worked out great.

Check with your local Buy Nothing groups. People are always giving away garden items on there - I've even seen rain barrels & composters. Best of luck
We have the limit we can for now (200 gallons) but beyond that is a wait list with some funky laws attached.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts