Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wasn't really happy with the size of the base so I enlarged it with two additional boards. Added a few more details and bolted it all down. Next up will be work on the helmsman.

View attachment 745560
You’re doing amazing work! Can’t wait to see the helmsman come to life. Always love the wind blown pose he’s in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both, I sure do appreciate the compliments. So a small update here. I've got my Harvey skeleton weathered and put back together and ready to be mounted to the base. Here is a mockup with him at the helm so I can get positioning corrected. He'll have more of an angle to one side as I get him put in place.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thank you both, I sure do appreciate the compliments. So a small update here. I've got my Harvey skeleton weathered and put back together and ready to be mounted to the base. Here is a mockup with him at the helm so I can get positioning corrected. He'll have more of an angle to one side as I get him put in place.

View attachment 745627

View attachment 745628

View attachment 745629
Looking fantastic! The weathering looks great- what did you do to get it so well aged-looking?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking fantastic! The weathering looks great- what did you do to get it so well aged-looking?

Thank you again. :)

For this one I first primed it with The Army Painter primer Skeleton Bone. Once cured I applied Aged Oak Gel Stain to each piece then wipe off with a shop towel. You want the stain to dry just a bit as to not wipe it all off. If you leave it on too long and you aren't able to wipe enough off then I go reapply some gel stain to that area then wipe off again. The reapplication softens it up again to where you can remove where you want to. It takes a little practice to get used to it because down here in Louisiana at this time of year the gel stain dries quite fast. Small areas at a time are best.

Also, I have done this without the primer and it comes out just as good. I wanted to see if priming it like I did the skull in my avatar would make a difference in the whole project. With primer I got a deeper weathering color as opposed to not priming.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thank you again. :)

For this one I first primed it with The Army Painter primer Skeleton Bone. Once cured I applied Aged Oak Gel Stain to each piece then wipe off with a shop towel. You want the stain to dry just a bit as to not wipe it all off. If you leave it on too long and you aren't able to wipe enough off then I go reapply some gel stain to that area then wipe off again. The reapplication softens it up again to where you can remove where you want to. It takes a little practice to get used to it because down here in Louisiana at this time of year the gel stain dries quite fast. Small areas at a time are best.

Also, I have done this without the primer and it comes out just as good. I wanted to see if priming it like I did the skull in my avatar would make a difference in the whole project. With primer I got a deeper weathering color as opposed to not priming.
I looks so realistic! Amazing job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts