Halloween Forum banner
161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I was finally able to get out into my patch this week to do some maintenance. Between an animal eating the leaves on my plants, and some kind of weed just deciding to pop up, this year has been a struggle. I fixed the hole in the fence, and I think the weeds may have come from bags of manure I bought and spread throughout the patch. I didn’t have any of these weeds before spreading the manure. I started pulling them by hand, but then decided it was too much and got out the tiller. I’m still hopeful I can have some successful results. Here is the before picture: View attachment 746453

and here’s the after picture:
View attachment 746454
Good call on the tilling. I bet it still took close to four hours but you would be hoeing for weeks. lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have 4 successful fruits now. Here they are from smallest to largest.
The second smallest (top right) is totally more oblong, while the other bigger ones are definitely more sphere. So excited to keep watching them grow. I've decided to recruit my neighbor child to tend to the garden in my 3 week absence. I will request some facetime vids so I can direct her as to stopping new runners and appropriate pruning.
I've been measuring the biggest daily for a few days now - it has gained an inch of circumference each day for the past many days. Yesterday was 23". My big hand for reference.

View attachment 746470
I'm jealous! They look great so far. Here’s to hoping the neighbor can keep them thriving while you’re gone.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well it looks like my biggest pumpkin is fading away at around 100lbs. Something created two pin holes, probably a moth worm. I have cleaned and used fungicide on the holes, but I know how the story will go. On the bright side, I have a backup going which is 42 lbs (113 inches OTT) at 17 days. Not on pace to land me in the 800lb range, but maybe 300lb. I refuse to be a snob. 300lbs is still pretty cool.

On my other remaining plant, I had a foaming stump and dead parts in my vine. I ended up pulling the stump and about 15ft of main to get to a healthy section. Once again on the bright side, the pumpkin is also at 17 days after pollination but is growing faster and has a better shape. It is at 60lbs (133 inches OTT). Once again not on a fantastic pace, but should still put me in the 300lb range with a pumpkin that looks like a carving pumpkin.

7/14 130 and 154
7/15 141 and 159 (20dap)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looking for input once again..
We have embarked on our 3-week trip and I’ve assigned pumpkin care to my hopefully-diligent neighbor.
At one last look this morning, I noticed one with a yellow tinge. Is this a sign of ripening? Or something bad? It is not soft and I didn’t see any signs of being punctured or insects. Looking back at the seed packet, they are only supposed to be “as big as a head”, 10-18 lbs and 10” tall and 10” diameter (So they are likely done with most physical growth). What’s happening here?
New person signing off..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking for input once again..
We have embarked on our 3-week trip and I’ve assigned pumpkin care to my hopefully-diligent neighbor.
At one last look this morning, I noticed one with a yellow tinge. Is this a sign of ripening? Or something bad? It is not soft and I didn’t see any signs of being punctured or insects. Looking back at the seed packet, they are only supposed to be “as big as a head”, 10-18 lbs and 10” tall and 10” diameter (So they are likely done with most physical growth). What’s happening here?
New person signing off..

View attachment 746716
From my past experience, it is done growing and will slowly start turning orange. When did you plant the seeds?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I just started two patches - one pie pumpkins and one jack o lanterns. Flying by the seat of my pants here hahaa. They are shooting up fast in the NC summer. I am afraid the deer are gonna be all over em.
Would you believe that deer ate all of my neighbor's Hot Peppers?!?! Not sure if it will help but maybe you could put wire metal trash cans from the Dollar Store over them to stop deer.

·
Registered
Graveyards
8 Posts
thats a good idea thank you! covering everything in sight seems to be the way in NC so I am not surprised they ate all the peppers!

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Morning walk.

The softball pumpkin is up to near basketball size. None of the others are growing as quick though.

Big Max:

Plant one: Basketball size
Plant two: 2 pumpkins about 1/2 basketball size.
Plant 3: 2 softballs that might be fading off. :/
Plant 4: 2 that might set.

Harvest Moon:

Plant 1: 2 pumpkins about softball size.
Plants2-4: No females yet...???

Drip line in place. Grey water retention in place for drought.

Vacation first week of august will be make or break as the drip line system has to work...if secondary water gets shut off prior due to drought...it might be a bust.

·
Registered
156 Posts
From my past experience, it is done growing and will slowly start turning orange. When did you plant the seeds?
I THINK it has been about 100 days…. But I didn’t note when I did exactly, and even going back thru pics and texts, can’t determine! I started them indoors and when they sprouted, gave them a week or two, and then planted them directly into our raised bed (which they have of course crept out of, and circled around).
so perhaps this timing sounds about right? First timer

·
Registered
Graveyards
8 Posts
What is all of your recommendation for watering? I am in NC - good to keep slightly moist or let mother nature do the work with her thunderstorms..

·
Registered
296 Posts
I THINK it has been about 100 days…. But I didn’t note when I did exactly, and even going back thru pics and texts, can’t determine! I started them indoors and when they sprouted, gave them a week or two, and then planted them directly into our raised bed (which they have of course crept out of, and circled around).
so perhaps this timing sounds about right? First timer
If it’s been 100 days, then I’m sure they are done. Most varieties seem to be 100-110 days until maturity. Leave them on the vine until they are completely orange and hardened.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Day 3 of “the yellowing”
Neighbor does not report that this area seems compromised or soft to the touch. I don’t know what the white spots are, but they are in little indentation areas that I noticed a few days ago. Those areas don’t seem soft or faulty either, but I’m not sure what the white is all about. Neighbor does not report any white on leaves (so that’s good?). Hoping this is all just a normal progression. Also, here’s a photo of the other, rounder pumpkin right above it, which the neighbor thinks is starting to lighten up in color also.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Man, they love hate with pumpkins. Of my two remaining pumpkins I think that both are lost. The big one weighing 168 pounds, had a tiny sap spot on the pumpkin. I have so been done that road. Smething got through. I spray the pumpkin daily with insecticide and and dust the stem area with Sevin dust. And yet something go through. 168 pounds at day 23 is pretty strong. I will post a picture later.

The other pumpkin plant stalled out at in growth and has not grown in three days. Another telltale sign when a pumpkin stops growing at day 20.

I do have one watermelon plant going. It is doing well, and I plan on pollinating a watermelon later this month. I have spent zero energy on it. It loves the heat and the bugs ignore it. Watermelon grows great in Georgia. I just wish pumpkins did. lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
Man, they love hate with pumpkins. Of my two remaining pumpkins I think that both are lost. The big one weighing 168 pounds, had a tiny sap spot on the pumpkin. I have so been done that road. Smething got through. I spray the pumpkin daily with insecticide and and dust the stem area with Sevin dust. And yet something go through. 168 pounds at day 23 is pretty strong. I will post a picture later.

The other pumpkin plant stalled out at in growth and has not grown in three days. Another telltale sign when a pumpkin stops growing at day 20.

I do have one watermelon plant going. It is doing well, and I plan on pollinating a watermelon later this month. I have spent zero energy on it. It loves the heat and the bugs ignore it. Watermelon grows great in Georgia. I just wish pumpkins did. lol
Pumpkin growing is so frustrating. You put all this time into something, and then a small bug can destroy it. Sorry to hear about your pumpkins.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Morning Walk:

One of the Harvest Moon variety is shifting from green to yellow...not sure what that means as they are supposed to go grey.

Basketball is now beachball.

the twins on the other vine are are about basketball. No new ones noticed, but TONS of vining from the other Harvest moons, and I think one of the Big Max vines is giving up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've now got not one but SIX bee-pollinated pumpkins on the secondary/tertiary vines on top of my PVC shade cloth support (including one the size of a soccer ball) and zero inside. Going to have to beef up that un-bonded PVC frame before it collapses None of the ones inside the shade structure made it to flowering. It's been mid-to-upper 90s for weeks, but I'm beginning to wonder if sun is having an impact. The female I put inside of a styrofoam cooler made it and was successfully pollinated, so maybe not. And powdery mildew is back...

161 - 180 of 200 Posts