Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well, plants are a popping. I have three plants up springing leaves and others still trying to push their seed coats through the soil. My largest plant has some really large baby leaves, and is starting to grow its first true leaf. The picture below does not give much of a perspective, but the plants are in two gallon pots.

The root system of these plants really grows fast. Last year they started to become root bound within three weeks when I grew them in one gallon pots. I have decided to grow my plants indoors until the third true leaf. I know most growers put them out after the first true leaf is fully developed. It just makes me feel better putting out a bigger plant. Plus, it gives the outdoors temps more time to heat up.

As far as manual labor this past week I tilled my garden and put out 10 yards (dump truck load) of composted horse manure. It ended up being 84 wheel barrow loads of compost. I came so close this year to hiring a day laborer to help assist me in putting it out. My garden is about 100 feet one way from the manure dumpsite. The idea of help gets to seem more reasonable every year, lol.

Mayor, great to see you posting. If you want any giant seeds from me just let me know. WitchyKitty, I might need you to point me in the right direction for mini pumpkins especially if there is a good bush variety to choose from. I don't want to put too much on my plate, but I am thinking about it. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Oh look at you. I was just doing the math and figuring I needed to start my Big Max in the next 2 weeks.

we've had 2 extreme wind events (90+ MPH) the last week, and my initial plan for the garden literally blew away. I had prepared sheet composting last fall with leaves and lawn clippings spread out, covered in cardboard, and weighted down with the straw...but it's all gone.

So, we're advancing to some 2022 plans with starting to build raised beds. I was going to slow roll those, but I should have the first done next weekend, and it'll serve as a compost pit this year so I have a good solid foundation next.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,175 Posts
Col., your seedlings look great!!
I have only grown a semi-bush type mini pumpkin (Wee be Littles), I can't find any bush types, and I had super poor results with the semi-bush I tried. I tried a few times, my mother in law did, too...may have been the brand, though. I couldn't find them in a good name brand. The few Wee be Littles I got to grow were very nice shaped, though, so if you can find some in a reputable brand, you may do better with them. The semi-bush type vines out just a little bit, but stays mostly bushy...definitely takes up less room than a vining type.
I know the most about the regular vining types of minis.

UnOrthodOx, I'm sorry about all your garden bed layering blowing away. I hope your raised bed set up works out.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,175 Posts
I normally grow Jack be Littles, Baby Boos and hope to get some of the striped colored types growing, this year (I have multi packs of the minis, so never know what color I'll get...my mother in law got the striped kind from my seedlings, though, and they were awesome, too.)

If you want something similar to the Wee be Little style but in a vining form instead of semi-bush, I got these, Little October Pumpkins, from Botanical Interests (I think ooojen found them for me a couple years back, online...I ordered them and I love them. High yield and easy to grow, like JBLs.) Little October Pumpkin Seeds

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,175 Posts
Lil Pumpkemon were a surprisingly bush variety of minis if you can find them. Lil' Pumpkemon Pumpkin Seeds

I know it says vining, but none of my vines got over 3'.

We had another unpredicted 70 MPH wind yesterday. I'm getting so sick of it.
Those lil Pumpkemons may be the mini stripey type in my mini mix, actually, that my mother in law got from the seedlings I started and gave her a couple of. I think hers got a bit longer than 3 feet, but not as long as my JBLs from the mix pack. That could be the plant, itself, or different soil/care/light too. Hard to say.

We keep getting wind, too...it seems like its year round, now...I know we are all tired of it...beyond tired.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I am just glad that I waited this year. I was in the ground last year by March 15th. It really wore my battery down screwing around with soil cables, ceramic heaters, fans and giant hoop houses as the plants started to vine. We have had three mornings this week under 36 degrees. However, it looks like by May 1st, we are going to be 75/55 at a minimum. When we change, we change fast. I plan to be in the ground between May 2nd- 6th.

I have just learned who I am. I only have so much energy for this hobby which is not infinite. :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'll pop in now and then to see how people are doing, but I don't think I'll be putting in a pumpkin patch this year. The SVBs were just too thick and too damaging last year. We didn't have any a few years ago, but once they settled in, they really took hold. My vines were all riddled with them. I still got a good crop of some of the more gourd-like varieties (SVB's last choice to attack) but for the effort and the space I invested in pumpkins overall, the payoff wasn't worth it.
In theory, they only have one generation here in the north, but I saw adults flyin from mid June until freezing, and still had all sizes of borers in Oct. when I tore the dying vines out.
I'll plant something else and maybe if this year's adults don't find anything to lay eggs on, they'll move along or die without procreating. I can hope.
Maybe I'll give it another try next year.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'll pop in now and then to see how people are doing, but I don't think I'll be putting in a pumpkin patch this year.
I understand the frustration with SVBs and skipping a year might really help a lot. There is just no good way to fight them without truly going "Apocalypse Now" with chemical treatments. Corn might be fun to grow. Since I have not gotten a pumpkin to the finish line in two years, I sometimes wonder if I should just take every other year off to ward of SVBs and give the soil a rest.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,175 Posts
We have extreme temp changes, too. Last couple of nights have had lows in the 20s and hard freeze warnings, with many other nights still only in the 30s. One of the days, I'm not even sure it hit 40 for a high...and we got snow and graupel...but in just days, here, we will be jumping to 80...then bouncing up and down after that.

Aww, ooojen, it'll be sad to not see you do pumpkins. I understand, though. I am still slightly on the fence, due to my insane squash bug infestations that get worse each year, the sudden, new emergence of a couple SVBs, and the sudden, new severe infestation all over my veggie garden of cucumber beetles destroying everything.
I just don't have the energy to fight all of this, anymore, and I have a lot to deal with, lately, too...I really should scrap the whole garden for a year...but I love to grow things, and giving it up due to insects and my health is even hard, lol. We will see...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just don't have the energy to fight all of this, anymore, and I have a lot to deal with, lately, too...I really should scrap the whole garden for a year...but I love to grow things, and giving it up due to insects and my health is even hard, lol. We will see...
I was wondering how you were doing this year physically. I hope things at least level out awhile for you. It does stink when gardening because nothing short of an insect war. I understand how you and ooojen feel. I hoping that my first foray into watermelons will be a piece of cake compared to pumpkins. But pumpkins are just so much cooler. 😎

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,175 Posts
Thank you...I'm trying to hang in there...been kinda rough, atm. This time of year always tends to really flare up my MS...too many weather changes, barometric pressure changes, ect.
...you can always carve the watermelons after you scoop out the yummy insides...get a nice summer treat AND bring a little spooky Halloween spirit to your cookouts, lol. 😉🎃🍉

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi - new in this thread - but I've tried to grow pumpkins for maybe 5 years now with various issues. My main one in the past 2 years has been pickle worms. Anyone else? (I did a search, didn't find any results on the forums). Main advice I find when googling is: "cover plants at night". :rolleyes: Is that even possible when the vines become 15' long? It says it is a nocturnal moth that lays eggs on mostly squash-type fruits, whose larvae borrow into, eventually destroying the fruits. I have 3-4 nice pumpkins growing two years ago, but all were ravished with pickle worm evidence.

I'm in Atlanta GA. Weather is mostly hot and humid 🧐

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have 3-4 nice pumpkins growing two years ago, but all were ravished with pickle worm evidence.
Pickle worms took me down last year, also. When they talk about covering the plant, I believe that the main concern is the pumpkin itself. That is where I ran into trouble last year. I am not familiar with pickle worms taking out the main vine. If your grubs are white then you have squash vine borers. I just plan to really spray my pumpkins well with Merit insecticide.

You are a real trooper for growing in Atlanta. I am just a little bit OTP in Georgia and I generally get a pumpkin to the finish line once every other year. Right now, I am on a two year losing streak.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,175 Posts
Well, it's May. I'm going to start getting the garden area set up, soon, for the mini pumpkins. We have to get our tower/trellises up, secured and the ropes tied across them. Then, in about mid May, I start germinating, using the baggie method, then plant the ones that germinate in my little greenhouse, downstairs. Once they get their first true leaves, if it's warm enough, they will get planted outside. I wonder which variety in the Mini Harvest Mix I will get, this year...??? I may plant a Little October Pumpkin plant, too, just for variety, like last year.

Our weather has been soooo wonky with the temps going up and down, lots of wind, ect...I have no idea how this season will go. I don't want to plant too early, as I'm hoping these random really warm days have been waking up the garden bug pests early and they fly elsewhere since there is nothing for them to devour, yet. Here's to hoping!!! I'm keeping my garden a bit smaller, this year, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Turns out one did not germinate and I'm not sure another is going to end up making it as there's hardly any root.

So, 10-11 Big Max pumpkins transplanted to pots this weekend and into the grow boxes.

Finished our first raised bed/compost pit for the year, salvaged what carboard and weed block we could and did most our cleanup. Weather was 80 on saturday, and 60 on sunday...kinda crazy swings for us, really weird weather year. Driest winter on record.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pickle worms took me down last year, also. When they talk about covering the plant, I believe that the main concern is the pumpkin itself. That is where I ran into trouble last year. I am not familiar with pickle worms taking out the main vine. If your grubs are white then you have squash vine borers. I just plan to really spray my pumpkins well with Merit insecticide.

You are a real trooper for growing in Atlanta. I am just a little bit OTP in Georgia and I generally get a pumpkin to the finish line once every other year. Right now, I am on a two year losing streak.
Sorry about your worms too. They were definitely pests that infected the fruits only - didn't see any evidence of harm to the vine. A few of our cucumbers also had some of them, but not as bad as my pumpkins.
They're such happy, easy-to-start seeds that I keep trying year after year even with no fruits of my labor (literally....... ha..). My 6 year old is entertained by how big the leaves get and how fast and long the vines grow once they start going. And honestly, it makes me happy too! Just wish I could feel the pride of growing ONE pumpkin! I'm in the Norcross area, btw.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts