Halloween Forum banner
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got a little progress on my mini container pumpkins! Finally got my first bloom today!! I'm so excited!! I've had some trouble with some sort of pests eating the leaves this past month so I've been treating em with Sevin spray, I just hope it's working! Now that I got my first flower I hope they'll continue to thrive! I've never been able to keep anything alive so even getting them to this point has me giddy!
20210720_170315.jpg 20210720_184551.jpg 20210720_184611.jpg

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,196 Posts
I finally have the first female of the season bloomed and pollinated...both by me and a bee. (...between running a little late getting my seeds germinated and our crazy weather, my females are behind, now, too. My plants would, normally, be much further ahead.) I see more females popping up, though.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My biggest pumpkin is still growing. It added 39 inches of growth over the last week and now weighs an estimated 200lbs. But it still has sap droplets coming out. As veteran growers know, they seem to hurry up and ripen when damaged. Maybe, I can get seeds for next year?

These plants always amaze me. The pumpkin has added 140lbs in eight days even though it is going down. Simply amazing. And considering that I took out 15ft of main and the stump about two weeks ago. I did learn not to be afraid to get ahead of stump/main vine problems by amputation.

The watermelon vines are growing but I am not seeing any baby watermelons. I will add some fertilizer tonight. Not sure that I will get one this year, but I have learned a lot about the plant.

Everybody keep up the good work. I always enjoy seeing pictures of everyone's progress.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I think mine are starting to stall, likely because I'm not pruning extras as it looks like more are setting. Till overall thrilled with the Big Max varieties tolerance of the heat.

In fact I was wrong about the Harvest Moon going yellow, just one of the Big Max vines has run that long and set one in the middle of that plant. A second Harvest Moon plant has confirmed set some pumpkins as we dipped into the 90s this week. I think I'm up to 6 Big Max and 3 Harvest Moon pumpkins now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
These plants always amaze me. The pumpkin has added 140lbs in eight days even though it is going down. Simply amazing. And considering that I took out 15ft of main and the stump about two weeks ago. I did learn not to be afraid to get ahead of stump/main vine problems by amputation.
That's awesome! I would never have thought to cut off the stump and rely solely on the roots along the vine.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
THE GROUNDHOG HAS INVADED!!

Found one of Silent Bob's babies (that's what I call the big groundhog who had 2 babies this year) in the fenced garden & the poor dummy couldn't find his/her way out so we had to each go to a corner & herd him/her out.

We didn't have a gate on our fence because we haven't needed one in a few years now so there's a makeshift gate that is an old office chairmat we were getting rid of.

I don't mind bunnies but a groundhog will devastate any garden in a day if given full access. I tossed it some seedy cukes to keep it busy for a while.

FTR I call the big one Silent Bob because of this. At top speed they're just like a bowl full of goo that even I could outrun & can't outrun a 5 year old kid!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Sorry but I couldn't stop laughing about your groundhog story @RCIAG

Everything is growing great. We finally got a break from the high temps for a few days.
( high 90 degrees is brutal) There's a precariously perched Big Moon pumpkin growing on the garden fence behind the corn. I need to figure out how to support it before it's to late.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
We now have a gate on our garden.

Honestly the groundhog could've been in the garden for a while & we wouldn't have found it because right now the garden is so overrun with all sorts of vines I don't even know what's what right now. The exception are the watermelon vines because their leaves are different & a couple of the squashes but they've gotten outta hand too.

Right now it's just too hot to spend too much time out there straightening stuff out but we're getting a break this weekend so hopefully I'll figure out what's what.

I do the same thing every year too, I say I'm gonna keep the vines in check & it never happens. It's just chaos out there. I'm just trying to keep my peppers upright & make sure I find all the melons before they rot.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
Trekked in tonite & found a couple of small baby pumpkins of some sort. I can't recall what I bought now. I think the things that have taken over are various gourds. They have to be pruned with EXTREME prejudice. I just hacked a couple off tonite but they need to have more done.

I pulled out one of my cayenne plants & moved it to my herb garden that's right next to our back door.

I also realized that I could've let Silent Bob have a plant or 3 & would still have too many freaking cucumbers. One can only eat so many & eventually your neighbors don't even want 'em. I also can only can so many pickles since I still have jars left from last year.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,196 Posts
Well, even through the stretch of crazy heat we just had, my vines were still doing really good. Thankfully, temps just went back down to more comfortable, non melting levels. I even had multiple females pollinated and set through it. Here, you can see two pictures I took at the beginning of the week with my vines beginning to cross over the ropes over to the other trellis towers. As of today, some vines have met and crossed almost all the way over.

Today, I took a picture of my largest of my set mini pumpkins...however, sadly, it may not make it to maturity. In less than a day, the plant that this pumpkin, and a few others, are on, just very suddenly began to wilt. The whole dang plant!!! It was fine, yesterday!!! I do have squash bugs, but I've been keeping up on them as best as I can and there aren't many, yet...not enough to do this kind of damage. I don't have any powdery mildew on this plant, I can't find any SVB holes anywhere...I keep going out and investigating, but I just don't see any...that's not to say there aren't any, but I can't find any. The other vines are fine, so far...it's just one of them. I simply cannot find any reason for this to be happening. I'm so upset, as I finally got a mini striped pumpkin vine growing and it's dying.

I should point out that something got two of my zucchini plants and killed them, as well, and I fear the third will be gone, soon, as I do see some holes near the base of the plant...as I did one of the others that died...but I can't find evidence of SVB...just teeny, near microscopic ants of some sort. (I don't see these on my pumpkin vines, either)

Everything has been cared for, fed and watered well, as I do every year...I just don't know what is wilting my pumpkin vine so quickly. We did have some harsh wind, but I don't see any broken vines...some bent leaves, but no broken vines. Any thoughts?

Here are my pics of my vines (two on each tower, four total). I put the good pics from earlier in the week, first, for each view, then today's wilted vine for each view, for comparison (different lighting, but you can get the idea)...then, my biggest pumpkin pic, which, as I said is on the wilting vine.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well, even through the stretch of crazy heat we just had, my vines were still doing really good. Thankfully, temps just went back down to more comfortable, non melting levels. I even had multiple females pollinated and set through it. Here, you can see two pictures I took at the beginning of the week with my vines beginning to cross over the ropes over to the other trellis towers. As of today, some vines have met and crossed almost all the way over.

Today, I took a picture of my largest of my set mini pumpkins...however, sadly, it may not make it to maturity. In less than a day, the plant that this pumpkin, and a few others, are on, just very suddenly began to wilt. The whole dang plant!!! It was fine, yesterday!!! I do have squash bugs, but I've been keeping up on them as best as I can and there aren't many, yet...not enough to do this kind of damage. I don't have any powdery mildew on this plant, I can't find any SVB holes anywhere...I keep going out and investigating, but I just don't see any...that's not to say there aren't any, but I can't find any. The other vines are fine, so far...it's just one of them. I simply cannot find any reason for this to be happening. I'm so upset, as I finally got a mini striped pumpkin vine growing and it's dying.

I should point out that something got two of my zucchini plants and killed them, as well, and I fear the third will be gone, soon, as I do see some holes near the base of the plant...as I did one of the others that died...but I can't find evidence of SVB...just teeny, near microscopic ants of some sort. (I don't see these on my pumpkin vines, either)

Everything has been cared for, fed and watered well, as I do every year...I just don't know what is wilting my pumpkin vine so quickly. We did have some harsh wind, but I don't see any broken vines...some bent leaves, but no broken vines. Any thoughts?

Here are my pics of my vines (two on each tower, four total). I put the good pics from earlier in the week, first, for each view, then today's wilted vine for each view, for comparison (different lighting, but you can get the idea)...then, my biggest pumpkin pic, which, as I said is on the wilting vine.

View attachment 747618 View attachment 747622

View attachment 747619 View attachment 747621

View attachment 747620
Any chewed areas or frass? You mentioned wind ... is it possible the
vine was upheaved? Are the roots firmly attached to soil?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,196 Posts
Any chewed areas or frass? You mentioned wind ... is it possible the
vine was upheaved? Are the roots firmly attached to soil?
No, I can't find any chewed areas or that stuff that comes out when SVBs and such dig in. Roots are still firm in the ground, I checked for both. I'm dumbfounded.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,196 Posts
Squirrels?
Nah, they have other things in the yard and garden to eat and destroy, lol. (Now, if it were mature pumpkin destruction...then, yes, in my yard, that would 100% be squirrels!) Besides, like I said, no holes or chew marks to be found.

I don't know...maybe it's an issue right below ground level. I went out and buried parts of some of the secondary vines that stayed on the ground to see if I can get them to root and save parts of the vine...

181 - 200 of 200 Posts