Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks Batley - we have to keep on. Only two things guaranteed in life as they say.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi all, hope the plans for 2020 are coming on and everyone’s staying safe!
Sorry for your loss @DandyBrit and everyone else who’s had sadness during this horrible time!

Late to the party as usual as couldn’t find the thread until I realised there’s a search button! Already got a few things planned and wanting to “animate” a few props using old pedestal fans. Bought another two projectors and more spotlights as well as a load more Atmosfear FX videos! Also looking at some cool stuff on eBay hoping the shops will be good this year.
Stay Safe everyone!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks Spooky. As I've said before it wasn't unexpected because of MIL's dementia but she went downhill rapidly after Christmas/January of this year. We thought that we would possibly lose her this year but it came right in the muddle of the Covid crap so we couldn't go the the hospital and didn't see her for 7 weeks. That was bad for us and her. After she came out the difference was obvious.
As I am growing my hair by necessity at the moment I was thinking of doing a sponsored shave for the Alzheimers Society in the next few months maybe. Covid is getting all the publicity at the moment but dementia never goes away.

After this is sorted I want to do some stuff for myself to relax a bit.
Hope everybody's plans go OK for H day and that ToT'ing does actually take place.

The relaxing of the lockdown seems to have made everyone go a bit mad - they were fighting in lumps in the Broken Bridge pub in Pontefract and it made national headlines!

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your mother in law DB. Its been a hellish time for a lot of families and must be very upsetting when you see people acting like its all normal again just because the lockdown is lifted. Supposedly there won't be another general lockdown, just area by area if needed.

But hey folks! Now there's bubonic plague in Inner Mongolia! Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get worse. Actually, its not a bad thing. People tend to think Black Death and all that, but the plague has never disappeared, its just well-controlled and treatable now and there are I think fewer than 5000 cases worldwide annually. But it does make for a creepy headline, doesn't it.

I have no idea how things are going to look by October. I will decorate and have some stuff for TOTs, if we get any. This is my second year in this house and neighbourhood and I think I only got two or three visitors last year. I feel like I'm holding the fort solo here since Halloween isn't really celebrated much in England, or isn't where I am. After nearly two decades on this side of the Atlantic, I'm going back home to Canada next Summer, so it will be amazing to be able to properly celebrate the greatest holiday on the calendar again.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks Buggula. A lot of people have lost loved ones now and they still have to soldier on - I hope that the lifting of the lockdown does not mean a resurgence and that people are sensible. We will have to see.

I hope that you will not forget the UK when you go back to Canada. There are some good things here (like Pontefract cakes) that you won't get over there. Is the return for a job or family reasons can I ask?

·
Registered
74 Posts
So who else has been trawling eBay looking for bargains then 😂
Not seen anything extra exciting yet but got a few cheap hanging reapers/skeletons etc in my basket as well as a few more spotlights.
Can’t wait till stuff starts to appear in the shops

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've joined a few FB groups which monitor shop stock arrivals so I get an idea of when stuff starts coming in.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
^ I think those are the ones I've joined as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A few videos on YouTube featuring a Costco leaflet, a wolf and dragon prop coming. Hopefully it's for UK. Edit, leaflet says .au (Australia) and we got the same props as them last year.

Dragon looks like a recoloured version of this:

I did say I am staying away form animated but... if the price is good, lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think the dragon smokes as it isn't mentioned, its $299.99 AU, so I would hope less than £199.

The holes in the wings remind me slightly of paw prints.

I do like the warewolf ($199.99 AU)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi all,

does anyone have any idea where I could pick up an orange onesie with feet? Going to make a Sam from Trick r Treat prop but all the costumes look really low quality for really high price so thinking of making my own ☺

·
Registered
82 Posts
My TK Maxx snowglobe fell out the window and smashed yesterday, thanks to a gust of wind. I was hoping to be able to pick the remaining glass out and just use it as a statue but it seems to be jammed in there so I might have to cut my losses and bin the whole thing. I might be able to rip everything out and then glue it back together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My TK Maxx snowglobe fell out the window and smashed yesterday, thanks to a gust of wind. I was hoping to be able to pick the remaining glass out and just use it as a statue but it seems to be jammed in there so I might have to cut my losses and bin the whole thing. I might be able to rip everything out and then glue it back together.

OH NO!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Banjo skeletons are in stock costco online, I'm sure they're cheaper than last year at 89.99

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've joined a few FB groups which monitor shop stock arrivals so I get an idea of when stuff starts coming in.
I don't do FB. Would you mind posting here when you get notified about stock arrivals from your FB groups?

I was in my local Asda yesterday and saw that they were selling 650g round tubs of "Sweet Treats" (i.e. Parma Violets, Drumsticks, Love Hearts, Refreshers, and Fizzers) for £3.00 per tub. I picked up a box of 6 tubs for £18 which is 3.9kg of sweets that I can hand out as treats to ToTs. This year the tubs are orange in colour and last year they were blue but I'm sure that they are the same sweets although I think that the tubs were £4.00 just before Halloween.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
No problem.
TK Maxx are getting bits and bobs in for ornaments etc at the moment - it varied from shop to shop as to how much. Apparently there are some nice little halloweeny gnomes which may be hidden away in the garden section. HomeSense (part of the TK chain) are getting a bit more.
Haven't checked the sweet situation yet as I bought a lot last year at reduction.
There seems to be more small craft artists popping up in the UK now (Etsy etc) and some more commercial prop sellers that buy in from the US for larger props.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts