Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's good news Batley. It's a worrying time for everyone. The MIL situation is ever evolving and we take it one day at a time. With dementia it's not going to get better unfortunately.
Dementia is such a debilitating disease. I wish you all the best and commend you for taking good care of your MIL.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's good news Batley. It's a worrying time for everyone. The MIL situation is ever evolving and we take it one day at a time. With dementia it's not going to get better unfortunately.
Ah, my comment sounds really ignorant, I didn't re-read your original post and my previous comment was soley on the good news your MIL was recovering well from covid. I do apologise and wish you all well. Sorry again.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Don't worry about it Batley - she was diagnosed with dementia and alzheimers about 4 years ago. It is progressive and there is nothing anyone can do but make sure she is safe. We have just got her a place in respite care as she has had problems since she came out of hospital last week and we felt that she needed 24 hr care and an assessment to see how she was doing. We will wait to see how this develops over the next week. We took cards and a cake to the care home yesterday as it is her 86th birthday today. Hopefully things will improve but we are not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone, I hope we all well considering the global pandemic. Not sure what will happen come Halloween so I've started building few things just in case we can still do a haunted maze. Facade for the entrance nearly done just need to finish the widows by adding some perspex and then some red tint. A big skull or something to go on the front of the roof but not sure yet and also add some lighting. Pillars and gates nearly done just building a sign to go over the two big pillars. Next build is a 20ft long wall for one side of the maze as I build the haunt inside 4 marques which I hate the look of so i'm hiding it behind some walls this year. Walls will be made out of ply, 2x4 and foam so I can sculpt out brick work etc. Any one else building anything yet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
20 meters of external wall done just like this. Thankfully I don't have to do the other side of the haunt as this will be hidden from view. Next is the exit facade.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hope everyone is hanging in there. Difficult times, and I'm sorry to hear about family diagnosis and false test results... that definitely doesn't help the stressful situation!!
I'm still holding out a little hope for Halloween, so far this year has been a write off in terms of normality, but I'm hoping things will settle. I'm moving my ideas from indoors to outdoors as I usually concentrate on my house.. this time it'll be mostly garden.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
When we get the family stuff over and done with then I'll think about the H-Day. Not looking forward to Tuesday's funeral but it is the end of this chapter and we will have to decide what the future will be now.
Everyone looks like they are hanging in despite the blasted pandemic. What does not kill you makes you strong according to Nietzsche - hope he was right.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sadly with our useless government "what doesn't kill you" Doesn't even enter into the equation as this bunch seem determind to keep trying to off as many of us as they can. :(

Not sure about Halloween this year. I could put a display outside as per, but It may attract a few kids after sweets and as It looks like I'm going to have to keep on shielding myself until I bloody die of old age or the virus (whichever comes first) that may not be a good idea sadly. :(

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just got back from the funeral - it was really nice and the wicker coffin was fabulous. Think MIL would have loved the idea - she was quite environmentally aware before the dementia took hold. Not bad for an 86 year old.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Building a giant Laboratory in Sweden, 500sqm.
TONS of cool stuff will be stuffed inside, waterblasters, pneumatic doors, boiling water, elevator etc etc.
Already started, watch the thread i created :)
liking th sound of this!! I will check out the thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got back from the funeral - it was really nice and the wicker coffin was fabulous. Think MIL would have loved the idea - she was quite environmentally aware before the dementia took hold. Not bad for an 86 year old.
Sorry for your loss DandyBrit. Glad the funeral went well as it can.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks Alex - we are getting on with all the associated stuff after someone goes. And laughing at the strange stuff we are finding - like the half set of dentures that were in a cupboard in the kitchen, that she never wore. A jar of pickled onions dated 2015 at the back of the cupboard that was open but surprisingly didn't smell off. Random newspaper cuttings from 25 years ago and we don't know why they were kept. Funny old thing Life, isn't it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to hear that @DandyBrit. Best wishes to you and your family

I was intending of skipping this Halloween before covid made itself known but I'll probably bring the witch hut back, depending on current events at the time, I guess. I hope to resume a larger display in the coming years.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts