Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of people are at home checking things on the internet I thought now would be a good to do some updates and post pics from Halloween 2019. Also I'll post progress pics and build stuff as we get closer to Halloween 2020!

The addition of the green warehouse, also known as "Ace Chemicals"

I wasn't able to get the"Ace Chemicals" sign done but the highlight of 2019 was a kid coming up to me so exited and saying "I know what that is" as he pointed to the green building. He says "that's Ace Chemicals, where The Joker fell in the green stuff!" It made my whole year someone knew what it was even without the sign!

We were very lucky to have had some nights open before Halloween for people to come check out the display. Between those open house nights and the actual Halloween night we had an unfortunate situation. We had crazy high winds that smashed the Arkham Asylum facade.

On one of our open house nights we had the couple who does the Parks and Cons podcast stop by and check out our display. They subsequently did a podcast where they discussed our haunt. You can check that out here!

Parks and Cons also did a nice video walkthrough of the haunt and that's on their YouTube channel here!

We also had VC from Haunts of LA stop by and subsequently do a review of the display that you can check out here!

2019 was such a roller coaster for us at Steamtown Gotham. We had some big new additions with the Ace Chemicals facade and lighting and sound. We had tons of great people in the haunt community come by and say hi. We had lots of people sharing our creation on lots of different social media platforms. We had people say very nice things about what we've made.
Then we had the biggest disappointment. Huge Southern California gusts ripped the asylum facade over before Halloween. After a day of sulking we managed to piece together a decent display for the trick or treaters.

All in all, even with the disappointments, 2019 was by far our best year! We look forward to 2020 and hope the world goes back to normal so we can try and top last year. We at Steamtown Gotham hope all of you are staying safe and we hope to hear from you soon!

Attachments

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also this year was our second year being on the Haunt List! Way before Halloween we put out our columns and made a holder to provide copies of the list for our neighborhood.

Every single flyer was gone by our first open house night!
Many thanks to the Haunt List for all the work they put into making the list a reality!
You can check out their website version of the list here!
Socalhauntlist.com

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing that was absolutely awesome about this Halloween was that on our open house nights there were so many people that asked where our house was! It had always been my goal to make the house disappear and it was cool to finally achieve that!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plans for 2020 are that we're going to put up the display no matter what. If we have to limit people to stay in their car or view it from the street we'll figure out something so that we can do something to cheer people up!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Absolutely awe-inspiring. It really looks professionally done and the folks in your vicinity are fortunate to have you nearby. Have you posted any tutorials on your work?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your places looks great as always and sorry to hear about the wind. Looking forward to seeing what 2020 brings to your display.
Thank you! The winds were definitely a learning experience. I'm absolutely looking forward to the 2020 display. Hopefully it will be a good distraction for what's happening in the world.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely awe-inspiring. It really looks professionally done and the folks in your vicinity are fortunate to have you nearby. Have you posted any tutorials on your work?
Well thank you!

I have not really consolidated any "tutorials" in one specific location. I've posted progress pics on different social media and in threads on here. I don't feel like anything I do doesn't already have plenty of tutorials already out there.
The only thing I wish I did document better was the Bat Signal. This year someone on Instagram went through my old feed and reminded me of that particular build.

We've definitely been lucky with people in our neighborhood enjoying the display but we've also benefited from social media and the Socal Haunt List bringing us visitors from all of the greater Los Angeles area!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put our ceramic pumpkin in our back wall garden so we can see him from the living room. I think it's happy!

Extending Quarantine-O-Ween!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking it would be cool to see some of your Instagram pages!

Ours is the_steamtown

Hopefully you'll check it out and say hi so we can see more pics of your haunts!

·
Hauntless
8,364 Posts
That is insanely awesome! It perfectly demonstrates the power of using art direction and theming to make a fascinating yard haunt. Sorry to hear about the wind. Don't feel bad - it's a lesson all of us haunters learn... once. The year that 45 mph winds shredded my yard haunt it was the one that told me it was time to move it into the garage, lol!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is insanely awesome! It perfectly demonstrates the power of using art direction and theming to make a fascinating yard haunt. Sorry to hear about the wind. Don't feel bad - it's a lesson all of us haunters learn... once. The year that 45 mph winds shredded my yard haunt it was the one that told me it was time to move it into the garage, lol!
Well thank you! I've never had art direction brought up when referencing the haunt! Hadn't thought about it like that, but it's a good way to think about it going forward. Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts