Halloween Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I really gotta remember to collect some pumpkin stems this time around. I'm making some mache pumpkins & the real stems look much better.

If anyone wants to keep theirs for me, let me know. I'll gladly pay ya for them & for the shipping.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
I have a total of 13 seeds planted indoors right now, I'm hoping to see sprouts by the weekend. Oh! Forgot to tell you guys....there is a pumpkin patch here called Black Heritage Farm, I got in contact with the owner just recently. I ended up putting down $175 worth of pumpkins last year at this place so I emailed saying I'd be back again (2020 will b my 3rd time in a row). I even advertised for them during my yard haunt. I told her (the owner) I planted some of my own this year but lack the space plus rodent deterrent. She offered to let me plant on her farm in exchange for a helping hand! Totally stoked! I'm gonna visit the farm this saturday and do a meeting/agreement.
That's really awesome!!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Great opportunity, IowaGuy -- getting to use some pumpkin-patch land in return for work! You might get some good growing tips, too!
I got 16 pumpkin plants (9 varieties) out in the last couple days, and I have just a few yet to go. I was going to cut back this year...I'm not sure what happened to that idea!
I only got a couple gourds started, but I do intend to put in a few more. I'll decide how many when I get all the vegetables I want planted and see how much garden space is left over.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Well, ended up going with Dill's Atlantic Giants largely because the websites selling that world of color were giving me trouble.

My Uncle grew these for years, so I know they handle the weather fine, and they didn't get too terribly massive with his lazy method of growing. I'm going to try them in something of a 3 sisters arrangement.
Starting the corn of the three sisters this weekend. Ideally it will grow well enough to eat, but should make good decor if not.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Starting the corn of the three sisters this weekend. Ideally it will grow well enough to eat, but should make good decor if not.

That is gorgeous UnOrthodOx.

It sound like everyone's weather is starting to even out. It was in mid 80s yesterday & thankfully today is much cooler.

Apparently I didn't kill the JBLs because they started popping up

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Uhhh~Ohhh☠☠☠☠
Bethany Lowe's 2020 Halloween catalog has veggies!!!
Oh, those are adorable! Love them!
Bethany Lowe kinda stings, though... they stole one of my designs, with no credit.
I can probably legitimately share it here, since mine was cucurbit (gourd) based. Theirs:
bethanylowtheivery.jpg

Mine, that I made a couple years before "theirs" was released...and which found its way to Pinterest after I shared a shot on this Forum (gourd art):
maneaterplant.jpg maneaterplant2.jpg

I certainly wasn't the first to make an anthropomorphic Venus Flytrap (there were some decades before "Audrey II"), but there are an awful lot of specific elements of mine they copied-- the raised, buggy eyes with vertical pupils, the fern fronds, the urn-type pot with a narrow stand-base and with a swag decoration on the pot, topped with Spanish moss...
You can't see it from the angle I took my shot, but the "neck" bends at exactly the same angle (back, around and down), the tounge ripples up, then down. There is no doubt in my mind where their "idea" came from.
Bethany Lowe's official mouthpiece likes to say how they encourage individual artists...but they completely ignored me when I mentioned the "appropriation" of my design. It doesn't surprise me, but it did disappoint me. I know I'm FAR FROM the only one this has happened to, but it's especially galling when they make a pretense of supporting individual artists. (Maybe they mean ripoff artists?)

Whoops, did I go on a bit? haha!
I do love the vegetables...and I hope whoever came up with the designs got recognized and paid for their work!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Bethany Lowe kinda stings, though... they stole one of my designs, with no credit.
I can probably legitimately share it here, since mine was cucurbit (gourd) based. Theirs:
View attachment 730249

Mine, that I made a couple years before "theirs" was released...and which found its way to Pinterest after I shared a shot on this Forum (gourd art):
View attachment 730250 View attachment 730251

I certainly wasn't the first to make an anthropomorphic Venus Flytrap (there were some decades before "Audrey II"), but there are an awful lot of specific elements of mine they copied-- the raised, buggy eyes with vertical pupils, the fern fronds, the urn-type pot with a narrow stand-base and with a swag decoration on the pot, topped with Spanish moss...
You can't see it from the angle I took my shot, but the "neck" bends at exactly the same angle (back, around and down), the tounge ripples up, then down. There is no doubt in my mind where their "idea" came from.
Bethany Lowe's official mouthpiece likes to say how they encourage individual artists...but they completely ignored me when I mentioned the "appropriation" of my design. It doesn't surprise me, but it did disappoint me. I know I'm FAR FROM the only one this has happened to, but it's especially galling when they make a pretense of supporting individual artists. (Maybe they mean ripoff artists?)

Whoops, did I go on a bit? haha!
I do love the vegetables...and I hope whoever came up with the designs got recognized and paid for their work!
You definitely have point & I can certainly see the likness. The similarities are astonishing. I'm sorry the company did not respond in a more professional manner.
Do you want me to delete my post? I have no problem- just say the word

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
That's sweet of you to offer, but no, not at all--- I'm not on a campaign against the company. They have loads of cute stuff! I know a lot of companies have ripped off a lot of "Halloween people's" work. It's nothing new. But when you create something it's disappointing to have someone else take credit for the design-- like kidnapping one's little brainchild.

We had a warm day yesterday, but back to cool temps today. A little sunshine would help my plant along, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting much of it over the next week.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I've had 1 seed sprout out of my first batch and it's been Just over 2 weeks, should I pitch the rest and put new seeds in?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
... should I pitch the rest and put new seeds in?
Are those planted outdoors in the garden or inside in pots (or paper towels)? If outdoors, they can take quite a while in cool soil. Indoors on a heat mat, IMO if they haven't germinated in 4 or 5 days, they probably won't.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
The problem with art, and what many do here on the forum is art, is that it's tough to prove the concept is unique. Your creation is remarkable. It's far superior to Bethany Lowe's design, despite its similarity. And therein lies the frustration. By changing something a bit, by painting in the teeth instead of creating a mouth full of them, Bethany Lowe can say, "Oh, my design is totally unique," and she would be right. It's incredibly derivative, but it is also a different design.

Those who mass produce items for sale rarely give credit for where their ideas came from. It opens all sorts of legal complications for them. But those who read Halloween Forum realize how many of the brilliant ideas shown online here have evolved into mass produced, and infinitely inferior, products. We can't fight it. The aspect of what is original art, an homage, a parody, or any other aspect of what we do is too layered to ever find a reasonable recourse for recognition. It's a joy when I see someone take an idea that I have shared and make it for their own haunt. It's another matter when I see it mass produced. The only thing I can do is point to my creation and say, "I was first." It's happened repeatedly with my work over the years. It still ruffles my feathers. But I also know there's little else to do.

And then, there are pumpkins... Yours may look a lot like mine by the end of the season, but I guarantee you mine is unique and individually crafted. At least in this arena of the Halloween Forum, our efforts are never stolen by another. :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have 4 sprouts so far, I needed more warm but yes, ooojen, they were planted indoors. I think one of them committed suicide though cause it looks like the stem snapped right at the flower sad violin music. Luckily I planted literally about 15 of all size variety! Maybe I'll have enough to spell out Happy Halloween in pukkins this year! I def am gonna need more strobes/lights to put in them....AND I swear if I dont get them all carved this year I'm turning in my resignation :-(

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
It's always sad to see people's creations stolen and reproduced by companies and such...I have seen it happen to many people on here. I have seen people's photos of their creations used by others who reposted it on FB or such and said they made it, too, which is just terrible, as well.

IowaGuy, you might want to pop a few more seeds in, just in case...have you tried the paper towel/baggie germination method? You take a paper towel, fold it, lay out your seeds with a little space between each for root growth, fold the paper towel over the top of the seeds, basically so the seeds are between the two layers of pt. Next, dampen it with warm water (I usually use a spray bottle). Put the seeds in the paper towel inside a plastic ziplock baggie, close a little but leave open a bit for air movement, then place in a warm, dark place.
I put my baggie on top of my cable box in the tv stand, lol. The cable box is warm and it's dark in there (don't completely block vents or such on your cable box, though, of course). I usually start to get germination within 24 to 72 hours. Once the roots sprout, you plant the ones that germinated in your pots. This method leaves out the wondering and waiting if your seeds are germinating down in the soil or not!

Most of my seedlings are now planted out in the garden. They had their hardening off time and, now that it's warm, are safe to be outside. I have a couple tender babies still inside in my little greenhouse. While all my pumpkin varieties did great, I ended up having to direct sow some cucumber and sunflower seeds, today, as I was just not getting germination. My seeds for both may be too old...though some were from the year before, so I don't know. I only got one cucumber seed to germinate and one mammoth sunflower...needless to say, those two seedlings are being babied and protected, lol. They may be all I get, this season! I figured it couldn't hurt to give one last shot for more of each by direct sowing some. I may have planted too many pumpkin seedlings, again, lol. I seriously need to force myself to "thin" the weakest, once they start to get big enough. I can't fight the jungle, this year, lol. As I said, before, we did a rearrange of the garden space, too, so I'm hoping this set up will work better.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Welp, I replanted 9 out of 13 pumpkins this morning. 2 out of the 9 just started to grow, I tossed them out. The other 7 showed no signs of life. At least now I know right? Now I wait till next week for the 2nd batch of 8 I planted. I'm gonna have pukkins growing everywhere haha! I also replaced the medium size (15-25lbs) with what I call big medium (35-65lbs)...which was maybe 3 seeds. The rest were big (up too 100lbs). We shall see....Happy Halloween!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
Welp, I replanted 9 out of 13 pumpkins this morning. 2 out of the 9 just started to grow, I tossed them out. The other 7 showed no signs of life. At least now I know right? Now I wait till next week for the 2nd batch of 8 I planted. I'm gonna have pukkins growing everywhere haha! I also replaced the medium size (15-25lbs) with what I call big medium (35-65lbs)...which was maybe 3 seeds. The rest were big (up too 100lbs). We shall see....Happy Halloween!
You said 2 out of the nine started to grow and you tossed them out...do you mean you threw away the 2 that were growing? Lol, I'm not sure what you meant by that. I hope you didn't throw away the ones that were growing!
Good luck on your second batch you started...I hope you get better germination, this time around! 🎃

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
For anyone growing anything: Don't forget that seedlings started indoors generally do better when you harden them off before planting outdoors...which, for anyone who doesn't know, hardening off is letting your seedlings be outside a little each day, for at least a week, and then bringing them back inside at night so they can slowly adjust to being outdoors before being planted out there in the elements that the seedlings aren't used to. You don't have to, necessarily, but they have a better chance of being strong enough to make it outside. Seedlings that haven't been hardened off first can get wind or sun damage, for example...they might recover from it, but it could set your seedlings growth back a bit while it recovers.
Just wanted to give that tip for any who are new to growing! 😉🎃

121 - 140 of 155 Posts