Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Looks perfect for witches' shack atmosphere, Chubstuff! I love being able to grow stuff that "keeps" : Job's Tears, gourds, broom corn, and the like. So far I've only had the warty pumpkins dry nicely, never a smooth one-- until the JBL.

Kdestra-- Good luck through the freeze. I hope there's some way you can cover your trellis plants...or better yet, that the forecast is wrong.
They're talking 20's here. If it does get that cold, I hate to think what that will do to the just-blooming fruit trees, the stuff I have in the garden, and worse -- the crops in the field.

Careful, IowaGuy! You might wind up with such a huge crop that you to leave pumpkins on people's doorsteps anonymously...like zucchini in August. :LOL:

WitchyKitty -- It sounds like you're off to a good start!
I felt like I was using great restraint by not starting my slow-growing stuff (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) until April, and waiting until this month to plant faster-growing seeds. But things already need to go out in the garden soon! I've potted up once, and I don't have enough decent potting mix or enough 4" pots (or spare time!) to repot them all again before they go out. At least the pumpkins have a few days yet before they outgrow their pots (since I just started them).

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So newb questions.....1) Who else uses biodegradable pots? 2) does anyone transition from say a 3" biodegradable pot to a bigger pot before taking them outside?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I use them... along with re-used plastic pots, cut off bottles, and whatever else I can find! I have potted up a size when the plants are really pushing the space they've got. It's a tough call with pumpkins, because they don't like to have their roots disturbed, but at the same time, they can be pretty fast growers and you don't want to restrict the roots.
If it looks like this cold snap will be over in 4 or 5 days, I'd probably leave them alone for now. But if you're going to keep them in any longer, potting up (with the least possible root disturbance) would probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So, I went to Earl May today and found my actual mid size pukkins 50-75lbs. Woohoo right? Issue is I've already pot started 10 various-size seeds and now I'm figuring out how to utilize my backyard. I dont live on a farm, I'm actually right smack dab in the middle of a college town so I have Maybe 300ft by 40ft to work with. Should I go for it? Its gonna be a total jungle back ther haha 🤪

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’m back again for another year, but can’t plant yet. We are having frost warnings in PA tonight, but hope to plant around the end of the month. I received a bunch of seeds from Col. Fryght that I can’t wait to plant. I just need warmer weather and less rain.

We bought a new rototiller and our garden currently has about 95% fewer weeds than last year, so I can’t wait to get them in the ground.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So, I went to Earl May today and found my actual mid size pukkins 50-75lbs. Woohoo right? Issue is I've already pot started 10 various-size seeds and now I'm figuring out how to utilize my backyard. I dont live on a farm, I'm actually right smack dab in the middle of a college town so I have Maybe 300ft by 40ft to work with. Should I go for it? Its gonna be a total jungle back ther haha 🤪
I also have a small area to work with and I'm gonna say go for it! 🎃 What's more fun, mowing grass or growing and harvesting pumpkins? I say the latter 😁

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
We just had our freeze last night. I have most of my seedlings still indoors, thankfully, but had to run around and bring potted flowers into the garage, house, cover the big ones and drag them onto the covered front porch, cover tender plants that are fairly new and just coming up, cover my sages that are already outside, cover the carrot and lettuce seedlings...ug...then I had to run around and uncover and put everything back out. 20's in May?! Come on!

My seeds that I germinated in baggies that I put in pots are all popping up...omgoodness, the Jarrahdales are growing FAST! I wasn't even sure I was going to plant them, lol. My sunflowers are being stubborn...not sure I'll have any this year. Two different kinds and they refuse to germinate. I started more of them to try again.

I use all sorts of pots...anything I have on hand. Biodegradable ones, reused plastic ones that I save from bought plants, paper towel and tp roll cardboard tubes (cut them to a shorter size, make 4 slits in bottom to fold like the bottom of a cardboard box)...whatever I have, lol.

IowaGuy, I say go for the jungle! I do it every year, lol. I have a tiny space, always say I will plant less and then always go overboard!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
Sorry I am new here got a question about growing I have Atlantic dill giant seeds if I plant polar bear seeds close by will they cross pollinate and ruin my white pumpkins
Welcome!!
Your pumpkins, this year, will be what they are supposed to be. Cross pollination doesn't affect the current year's fruit. However, if the bees cross pollinate, the seeds that come from this year's pumpkins, should you try to grow them next year, could end up being hybrids. So, as long as you don't plan on harvesting your seeds from your pumpkins to grow next year, you are fine this year.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
9:30pm and I just found out we are under another freeze tonight...our temps were above freezing in the mid 30s overnight, but winds and systems moving through set our county borderline for the freeze due to windchills, colder winds aloft possibly bringing sleet, flurries, hail, ect...I didn't want to risk it, so I ran out on the dark and moved/covered stuff again. Sigh. Could happen tomorrow night, too.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
We got another solid freeze last night (high 20s), and one more predicted for tonight (30). Enough already!
Tomorrow night it's supposed to bottom out at 40F. That will seem positively tropical!
I'm just not feeling well enough to run back outside and cover/move everything for a third time. They keep saying we will be just above the freeze, but then they suddenly change their minds and say we may get the freeze or frost. I should've just left everything covered from last night...but we were supposed to have sun, today, and I didn't want to block my plants from that. We ended up getting the tiniest amount of sun possible...sigh. I hope my plants don't die, tonight...

On a good note, my pumpkin seeds all seem happy down in the greenhouse. By Thursday, the temps are supposed to be where they belong, so I'll be able to start hardening off what is big enough to do so.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
Yep, another freeze tonite. And per the usual here in MD we're supposed to be going up to 80°+ over the weekend.

We go from winter, 2 weeks of spring then roll right into summer. :mad:

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,634 Posts
I caved and ended up running out to move and cover stuff...again...even though I said I wasn't going to. That was super fun when I didn't feel well.

Same here, now, starting tomorrow, after all these below average colder days and freezes overnights, the temps are going to jump to mid 70's, give or take, with lots of rain and severe storms. So, I went from worrying about my plants freezing to my plants drowning. Sigh...

I started hardening off my pumpkin seedlings (and tomatoes), today...I just set them outside for a couple hours in the warmer part of the day and brought them back in. I'll set them outside a little longer each day until I can find a safe, no severe drowning storm threat time to plant them out in the garden.

I haven't even put any of the trellises, towers or cages out, yet! I haven't decided how I want to grow my pumpkins, this year...It's hard when you don't feel well. Ug. I think this will be another year my garden is a messy jungle, lol.

Non pumpkin note: I may not have cucumbers or sunflowers, this year...my seeds just won't germinate. I have no idea what's going on. I have never had issues with either of them, before. I can't imagine not having cucumbers to eat or make pickles...or have my giant 10 foot tall sunflowers...here's to hoping. Zucchini are fighting me, too, but one just popped up, so I will hopefully have, at least, one zucchini plant! This year is crummy all around...

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I think we're past our last freeze.

I think.

Anyhoo...walked to the garden, looked at it, walked around it, shook my head at it, then walked back into the house. Hopefully we'll get to it next weekend because, well, there's about 80 other things to do to it first & 100 other things to do outside that are just as pressing...so...yeah....soon.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have a total of 13 seeds planted indoors right now, I'm hoping to see sprouts by the weekend. Oh! Forgot to tell you guys....there is a pumpkin patch here called Black Heritage Farm, I got in contact with the owner just recently. I ended up putting down $175 worth of pumpkins last year at this place so I emailed saying I'd be back again (2020 will b my 3rd time in a row). I even advertised for them during my yard haunt. I told her (the owner) I planted some of my own this year but lack the space plus rodent deterrent. She offered to let me plant on her farm in exchange for a helping hand! Totally stoked! I'm gonna visit the farm this saturday and do a meeting/agreement.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts