Halloween Forum banner

801 - 820 of 824 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
What is the secret to growing Casper's? Every single sprout has shriveled up and died! I only have one plant, so maybe that's the problem? Oh well, just have to try again next year.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sept. 15
Current temp is 66. Trimmed pumpkin vines that have krept into walkways & several very young vines that won't produce in time. Also cut down rest of corn & cleaned veggie garden. There are at least 15 pumpkins ready to pick but I'm holding off until October 1st. 4 big Queensland Blues are still growing on healthy vines so I'm not touching those even tho I REALLY want to. The JBL vines have grown into the tomatoes. They don't seem to bother the tomatoes so I'm leaving them for now.

We have 3 more Green Bin (yard waste) pickups before October 1st. So I'm trying to get the gardens ready for Halloween decorations

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
What is the secret to growing Casper's? Every single sprout has shriveled up and died! I only have one plant, so maybe that's the problem? Oh well, just have to try again next year.
I'm sorry they didn't make it. I wish I could help, but I haven't grown them, yet. I almost did, but not yet. I hope someone here has the answer, for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Well, here is what's salvaged from the garden this year.

There were a couple others that got crushed by the neighbor's tree limbs. None of the atlantic giants had ever set anything, and even the raven grass was mangled enough by the wind as to be unusable. We'll be cutting and tilling this weekend as a result, start some sheet composting that I might just do over the next year, still trying to decide how to handle the garden next year.

EASILY the worst year since I started the garden.

·
Registered
704 Posts

There were a couple others that got crushed by the neighbor's tree limbs. None of the atlantic giants had ever set anything, and even the raven grass was mangled enough by the wind as to be unusable. We'll be cutting and tilling this weekend as a result, start some sheet composting that I might just do over the next year, still trying to decide how to handle the garden next year.

Those are beautiful pumpkins! I know this has been a really disappointing year for most of us so I guess we have to live vicariously through the few who were successful.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts

As sad as I am that you lost so much, I am glad you, at least, got a handful of cute minis for your efforts.
Like Ladyfrog said, above, it has just been a rough year, for a lot of us...the worst year, really. We can only hope that it is just the "Curse of 2020", and that next year and the years to come, will be better.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
I have realized that my cucumber beetle infestation is much worse than I thought. This is the first year I have had to deal with these...I may have seen one or two in past years, here and there, but they have just been everywhere, this year. in doing research, I found out that they are more than likely what pretty much decimated my whole veggie garden and pumpkins/gourds. I figured they killed my cucumbers, as they kicked the bucket very quickly, all of the sudden, earlier than usual, too...and saw these beetles on them, figuring they were the cause of the demise...but I wasn't aware they went after pumpkins, squash, melons...and even other veggies after those, too. the damage most of my veggie plants ans fruit had sound nearly exactly like what I saw on everything...even my peppers.

The bad news, is that they cause disease to the plants, which it why they die, and they also are hard to kill, overwinter easily and the diseases overwinter, with them. I have no idea what to do, now...I plan on trying to till after it gets cold so the burrowed one all get pulled up, which is what it said to do, online, but we only have a little manual hand tiller, so it's hard when the ground is hard and it doesn't get very deep, either. It says they can overwinter in debris, too...well, I clean up all plant debris, so that's not an issue...but I have mulch over the walkways around my raised beds and I worry they could try to hide under that, too. We keep it low and not deep, but if they do try to hide there, along with any squash bugs, there is nothing we can do about it. the only fool proof way to get rid of everything is to not plant a single thing in the veggie garden, next year...which I just ca't bring myself to do...or try to wait to plant things out side just a little longer, so they emerge, see no seedlings, and leave. Sigh. My garden is just more and more infested, each year...

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have realized that my cucumber beetle infestation is much worse than I thought. This is the first year I have had to deal with these...I may have seen one or two in past years, here and there, but they have just been everywhere, this year. in doing research, I found out that they are more than likely what pretty much decimated my whole veggie garden and pumpkins/gourds. I figured they killed my cucumbers, as they kicked the bucket very quickly, all of the sudden, earlier than usual, too...and saw these beetles on them, figuring they were the cause of the demise...but I wasn't aware they went after pumpkins, squash, melons...and even other veggies after those, too. the damage most of my veggie plants ans fruit had sound nearly exactly like what I saw on everything...even my peppers.

The bad news, is that they cause disease to the plants, which it why they die, and they also are hard to kill, overwinter easily and the diseases overwinter, with them. I have no idea what to do, now...I plan on trying to till after it gets cold so the burrowed one all get pulled up, which is what it said to do, online, but we only have a little manual hand tiller, so it's hard when the ground is hard and it doesn't get very deep, either. It says they can overwinter in debris, too...well, I clean up all plant debris, so that's not an issue...but I have mulch over the walkways around my raised beds and I worry they could try to hide under that, too. We keep it low and not deep, but if they do try to hide there, along with any squash bugs, there is nothing we can do about it. the only fool proof way to get rid of everything is to not plant a single thing in the veggie garden, next year...which I just ca't bring myself to do...or try to wait to plant things out side just a little longer, so they emerge, see no seedlings, and leave. Sigh. My garden is just more and more infested, each year...
Oh no, that sounds worse than slugs!! And I think slugs are downright evil! Can you plant in pots instead for a year maybe to give things a chance to clear out? That way at least you get to grow some stuff.

Slugs are a lot smarter than I thought, by the way. I have a little food dish on my porch to feed the stray cat who came with our house. I noticed that the slugs were eating the cat food (dry cat food, at that) so I put copper tape around the bottom of the dish. Slugs were still getting in so my husband covered the entire dish in copper tape but they still got in. He happened to look out the window the other night and saw a slug going up the wall next to the dish. He saw it go up just high enough, look where the dish was (with it's sluggy eyes) and push itself off the wall, diving into the dish! We moved the dish away from the wall so hopefully that will stop them. Who knew slugs were that smart??

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
Oh no, that sounds worse than slugs!! And I think slugs are downright evil! Can you plant in pots instead for a year maybe to give things a chance to clear out? That way at least you get to grow some stuff.

Slugs are a lot smarter than I thought, by the way. I have a little food dish on my porch to feed the stray cat who came with our house. I noticed that the slugs were eating the cat food (dry cat food, at that) so I put copper tape around the bottom of the dish. Slugs were still getting in so my husband covered the entire dish in copper tape but they still got in. He happened to look out the window the other night and saw a slug going up the wall next to the dish. He saw it go up just high enough, look where the dish was (with it's sluggy eyes) and push itself off the wall, diving into the dish! We moved the dish away from the wall so hopefully that will stop them. Who knew slugs were that smart??
Omgosh, lol! I don't mean to laugh, the slug problem isn't funny...we get those, too...but the daredevil slug vision in my head cracks me up! That's insane! I will have to share that story with my husband, hahaha!

I could grow a few things in pots, but most of my stuff gets massive. Plus, if I plant outside the garden, even in pots, then I have the bunnies to contend with...we have LOTS of bunnies in our yard. Our little garden is fenced in for that reason. If it isn't one thing eating my garden, it's another...

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
WitchyKitty -- "Like" wasn't the right reaction for your pest post, but it's that or nothing---
I'm in the same situation. Spotted cucumber beetles are the same thing as southern rootworm beetles-- name depends on what crop you grow. I've got southern, northern, and western rootworm-- striped and spotted cucumber beetles, as well as the horrible boom of SVBs. The cucumber/rootworm beetle larvae feed on the roots of all kinds of garden plants, and the adults eat the flowers, leaves, and developing fruit.
It's just... too much! I feel exactly the same way, that it's hard to think of not gardening for a year or two...but it's also heart-wrenching to put in all the work and then watch your plants get destroyed. (I'm sure all the more for you, when your energy is limited.) Ah well, I guess we'll see what next year brings. I might just go with gourds that aren't quite as attractive to pests as pumpkins are.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
WitchyKitty -- "Like" wasn't the right reaction for your pest post, but it's that or nothing---
I'm in the same situation. Spotted cucumber beetles are the same thing as southern rootworm beetles-- name depends on what crop you grow. I've got southern, northern, and western rootworm-- striped and spotted cucumber beetles, as well as the horrible boom of SVBs. The cucumber/rootworm beetle larvae feed on the roots of all kinds of garden plants, and the adults eat the flowers, leaves, and developing fruit.
It's just... too much! I feel exactly the same way, that it's hard to think of not gardening for a year or two...but it's also heart-wrenching to put in all the work and then watch your plants get destroyed. (I'm sure all the more for you, when your energy is limited.) Ah well, I guess we'll see what next year brings. I might just go with gourds that aren't quite as attractive to pests as pumpkins are.
Yeah, I have striped and spotted...I am going with just minis and gourds, too, next year...but, unfortunately, all of the insect infestations I am currently dealing with went after every single type of veggie plant I had...pumpkins, minis/gourds, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers...all of it. Once they killed off one thing, they would just move on to the next. I am at a loss for what to do. I plan on trying to till both in late fall and early spring when it's still cold to try and un-burrow any that may be in there...but I doubt that will help much, especially with only the small, manual tiller tool. Then I have insect issues with my roses, too, which just get destroyed. Then the bunnies eat all my Heuchera and we have an issue with trying to get shrubs to grow on either side of our porch...I'm just exhausted of doing so much gardening and spending so much to have it all eaten or diseased...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
Once they killed off one thing, they would just move on to the next. I am at a loss for what to do... I'm just exhausted of doing so much gardening and spending so much to have it all eaten or diseased.
I think this has been a difficult year for many of us in the garden. I know come spring, we'll be rethinking what direction to go. We've decided we'll have a garden again, because large sections of the garden take care of themselves. It's just some weeding and watering, and that we can do. Squirrels don't eat flowers. They do eat our pumpkins, and sunflowers, and corn.... sigh... and just about anything we want to eat as well. So, we will create a garden that concentrates mainly on the senses of sight and smell next year, and a bit less on taste. Maybe a few years away from the pumpkins and corn will have the squirrels, rats, moles, and insects wandering away to some other locale for their dining pleasures.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
We were out winterizing the garden (because why not, it all got sandblasted/dead) and managed to find one teeny tiny pumpkin hiding under everything, so at least Indy got his annual pumpkin. He was rolling all over it all day yesterday as if it were catnip, an annual tradition when we harvest pumpkins, but he doesn't like the minis in this way for some reason.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
We were out winterizing the garden (because why not, it all got sandblasted/dead) and managed to find one teeny tiny pumpkin hiding under everything, so at least Indy got his annual pumpkin. He was rolling all over it all day yesterday as if it were catnip, an annual tradition when we harvest pumpkins, but he doesn't like the minis in this way for some reason.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you ended up with an actual pumpkin, besides your minis, and your adorable Indy gets a pumpkin!!! That makes my heart happy, lol.

(My Nala loves pumpkins, too...she loves them so much she likes to eat the insides when we are carving them and anything with pumpkin in it.)

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
I haven't been getting alerts for new posts in this thread, for some reason. It says i'm following it, but I have to physically go look for it to see if there are new posts. No idea why this is happening, lately.

801 - 820 of 824 Posts