Halloween Forum banner

781 - 800 of 824 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
It feels like half the country is on fire & the other is under water. Please be careful
I'm extremely grateful we aren't on fire here on the coast. Things are really dry and our humidity was down to 10% - right by the ocean and river! Now because of the air flow, our air quality is in the hazardous range! So to keep this about pumpkins - I think this will likely kill all my plants because I'm not going outside if I can avoid it. No water and hazardous air is probably going to be the end of everything in the garden. My throat hurts sitting inside and 6 inches from a small air purifier. Take care everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
How is everything after round three hit? Still have power? I hope all is okay.

Can you pop the dents out of the garage door...or will it have to be replaced?

I know your patch, corn and grasses were pummeled...but were you able to harvest and salvage anything? Any pumpkins? It looks like you may have been able to harvest those few minis I see on the ground...and maybe cut and dry some of the flattened stalks/grasses??

Hoping for the best, for you, and everyone else who is dealing with storms, wildfires, smoke...

Yeah, we are one of the lucky ones with power still. Most the lines in my neighborhood are actually buried, so it takes trees uprooting the lines to knock us out.

As such, Yesterday/today we kinda become a port the last few days. Most of Talia's friends are still without power, and the school even was out until today.

I'd already come to the conclusion we were cancelling our pumpkin party this year, but we've drug out tables and chairs, spaced them all covid appropriate, and set up about 20 charging stations outside with kids and families wearing masks and coming to charge. Also been acting as a soup kitchen. Just getting ready for tonight's batch of fresh made ramen.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
I'm extremely grateful we aren't on fire here on the coast. Things are really dry and our humidity was down to 10% - right by the ocean and river! Now because of the air flow, our air quality is in the hazardous range! So to keep this about pumpkins - I think this will likely kill all my plants because I'm not going outside if I can avoid it. No water and hazardous air is probably going to be the end of everything in the garden. My throat hurts sitting inside and 6 inches from a small air purifier. Take care everyone!!
Oh no...I'm sorry, darlin'. I can understand not wanting to go outside to water, though. Better to keep your lungs safe!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
Yeah, we are one of the lucky ones with power still. Most the lines in my neighborhood are actually buried, so it takes trees uprooting the lines to knock us out.

As such, Yesterday/today we kinda become a port the last few days. Most of Talia's friends are still without power, and the school even was out until today.

I'd already come to the conclusion we were cancelling our pumpkin party this year, but we've drug out tables and chairs, spaced them all covid appropriate, and set up about 20 charging stations outside with kids and families wearing masks and coming to charge. Also been acting as a soup kitchen. Just getting ready for tonight's batch of fresh made ramen.
That is amazing of you and your family to do. You are so, very kind and thoughtful. We need more helpful people like you in the world!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
One of my only four Little October pumpkins was just found sunk in and moldy on my windowsill (It actually was stuck to it and messed up the paint!). I am heartbroken, especially since I only had three that were large enough to paint for the cemetery, and it was one of them. The fourth is tiny. They are minis, as it is. I need three to four for painting (My Grandpa and Grandma have a dual grave, so some years I make them each one, others they share one...then I have my aunt and my godfather that each need one.). Now, I worry the rest will do the same. I only have that little bit of other JBLs that grew, this year, that I am using in that basket as decor by my fireplace. My choice will be to ruin the display and steal from those to take to paint, or have to spend money I don't really have to buy some from somewhere. I'm worried the JBLs will do that, too, now. There is no way I will miss a year of bringing the painted pumpkins to my loved ones' graves. I have been doing this, every year, no matter what, since I was young...

·
Registered
704 Posts
One of my only four Little October pumpkins was just found sunk in and moldy on my windowsill (It actually was stuck to it and messed up the paint!). I am heartbroken, especially since I only had three that were large enough to paint for the cemetery, and it was one of them. The fourth is tiny. They are minis, as it is. I need three to four for painting (My Grandpa and Grandma have a dual grave, so some years I make them each one, others they share one...then I have my aunt and my godfather that each need one.). Now, I worry the rest will do the same. I only have that little bit of other JBLs that grew, this year, that I am using in that basket as decor by my fireplace. My choice will be to ruin the display and steal from those to take to paint, or have to spend money I don't really have to buy some from somewhere. I'm worried the JBLs will do that, too, now. There is no way I will miss a year of bringing the painted pumpkins to my loved ones' graves. I have been doing this, every year, no matter what, since I was young...
Aww I'm sorry to hear that :( I hope the rest of your pumpkins hold up for you!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Wow, how very...2020 this all is! So sorry for those of you with horrible and dangerous weather or fire conditions.

Impressive stuff from Mayor o H. and Rigormortor, but most of us are just limping along.
We haven't had severe weather here, but it has been unpleasant. We had rain, drizzle, and highs in the 40's for several days, at a time of year when our normal highs are 75-74. My melon plants just died in those few days. Some of my pumpkins and gourds started to rot on the ground. I picked a couple pumpkins that I'd otherwise have left another week or two...but even if the rain stops now (and it's supposed to tomorrow) it will still take a while for the soil to dry a little and warm up. So--I'll head out tomorrow and cut some of the (not rotten) morangas.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Rigomortor - that is very generous of you to share your pumpkins.

WK - that is so sad about your minis. If I could send you some I would.

The JBLs didn't grow very well on the tunnel but I have a bumper crop of minis all over back yard. As the vines die, I add them to the tunnel. People can't tell that they didn't grow there. A neighbor who is a teacher fell in love with the tunnel & asked if she could give her 3rd graders a virtual tour ~ of course I said "Yes". I've still have dozens of minis to decorate with & will keep adding more through October

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Well, today I was pleasantly surprised to discovered 5 more growing pukkins in my backyard. My neck of the woods in Iowa just got 5 straight days of rain. Do the male flowers fall off when they die? I can't tell if a critter is eating them or not, the pukkins seem to be untouched. I also used bloom booster for this 3rd weekend so maybe that is helping! Happy Halloween!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
Well, today I was pleasantly surprised to discovered 5 more growing pukkins in my backyard. My neck of the woods in Iowa just got 5 straight days of rain. Do the male flowers fall off when they die? I can't tell if a critter is eating them or not, the pukkins seem to be untouched. I also used bloom booster for this 3rd weekend so maybe that is helping! Happy Halloween!
Yes, the males open for a day, like the females, then they close up and fall off the next day or so. Congrats on getting 5 more! We had a week of rain, too...just finally stopped.

781 - 800 of 824 Posts