Halloween Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,618 Posts
Yeah, our temps suddenly changed, too...they were supposed to be 50's and above, now, but suddenly we are going back to 40's. Sigh.

I hope you get your seeds, RCIAD!!

Iowa Guy, I have never had a raccoon eat my pumpkin flowers...but that's not to say they wouldn't, I suppose. I've never had any animal eat the flowers...just the pumpkins, themselves. If you try, again, this year, I hope this doesn't happen to you! Did you actually have eaten flower pieces all over or something?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,605 Posts
They were coming from China, yea, great, China. The tracking said that they had left the country but who knows where the heck they are right now? I asked for a refund & got one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Side note on germination: I had mentioned I had some hot peppers started, inside...my Jalapenos are all coming up great, cat grass is great, and even some of my "difficult to grow here" white sage is popping up...but, so far, with two different planting times, I have zero germination of a whole package of Cayenne peppers! Nada! Same good seed starting soil, same containers, same shelf under the same lighting as the other things I've started...but not a single sprout! I tried the first half of the packet, then, when nothing was happening, planted the rest and still nothing. I know my jalapenos are a smaller, earlier variety, so they would germinate a little sooner, but my cayenne should be doing something by now. Grrrrrrr. Burpee organic seeds, too, not some off brand. Good thing they were having a seed sale and I didn't pay too much...I've never in my life had this happen, before. I'll keep giving them more time to see if they are just being super late bloomers...I hope I don't have this issue with any of my pumpkins or gourds, this year, too. I'd cry with zero germination.
Stupid question from the peanut gallery ... are you warming the soil you are using for the cayenne peppers? Most nightshades like WARM soil, like 80F, which means a warming pad.

Second idea ... RapidRooters and similar products are really good at keeping the right moisture level at the seedling, they don't dry out as quick as potting mix does. They are like $15 for 50 of them on A'zon. I learned of them from the hydroponics community, which also seems to have a lot of MJ growers and even if you don't agree with legalization ... those guys are hardcore about optimizing nutrients, chemistry, and lighting for the highest yield per seed. I have some fancy pants tomato seeds ($1/seed) and they go in a rapid rooter. Sprouts go in regular seed starting mix ;)

I saw someone mention that if you take a year off of growing squash you can avoid squash bugs ... is this true? I did not garden last year due to major home renovation so I wonder if I could try pumpkins this year?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,618 Posts
Stupid question from the peanut gallery ... are you warming the soil you are using for the cayenne peppers? Most nightshades like WARM soil, like 80F, which means a warming pad.

Second idea ... RapidRooters and similar products are really good at keeping the right moisture level at the seedling, they don't dry out as quick as potting mix does. They are like $15 for 50 of them on A'zon. I learned of them from the hydroponics community, which also seems to have a lot of MJ growers and even if you don't agree with legalization ... those guys are hardcore about optimizing nutrients, chemistry, and lighting for the highest yield per seed. I have some fancy pants tomato seeds ($1/seed) and they go in a rapid rooter. Sprouts go in regular seed starting mix ;)

I saw someone mention that if you take a year off of growing squash you can avoid squash bugs ... is this true? I did not garden last year due to major home renovation so I wonder if I could try pumpkins this year?
I don't have a warming pad, but I do know they are a warm soil plant and my little mini greenhouse is heated by lights and grow lights...plus they are watered with warm water, too, so I don't chill the soil. I don't use regular potting mix when starting my seeds, I use an actual seed starting mix. (Oh, and the peppers sit both over and under lights, so they get heat from above and a little from below.) I normally don't grow cayenne peppers, I always do jalapenos, then sometimes banana peppers and habaneros. I grabbed some cayennes just for fun, this year.

If you read one of my following posts after the one you replied to, you will see that the very next day, my cayenne peppers popped up, lol...it's like they heard me complaining about where they were.

Thank you, though, for the advice! I will look into the Rapid Rooters, though, just out of curiosity...maybe I'll try them, one day, if I grow something expensive. I don't usually have too many issues getting seedlings going, though. (They might work for an easier early start on my White Sage, though...that is probably my hardest to get going, indoors, as it prefers direct sow out in the warm sun...but since I live in the North, far away from it's normal habitat, we have to wait quite awhile before White Sage can be planted directly outdoors...and it won't overwinter unless I try to bring it indoors. I tend to start some inside, then, later start some outside, and work with what I get from both ~ I make smudge sticks and such with sage and other herbs that I grow. ~).

As for skipping years on squash, it was something I had posted about earlier in considering trying, as I had an alarmingly bad squash bug infestation, last season...plus, with this milder Winter we had, some may have been able to overwinter in the area, which means this year could be even worse! I don't know if skipping a year will work or not....I had read someone talking about how that could work, once, but I can't remember who. I feel like I SHOULD do it...but I don't think I can bring myself to give up growing my pumpkins, gourds and zucchini for a year...it's one of the things I look forward to the most each late Spring through the Summer!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Okay, I concede defeat. I was out planting our seeds in pots yesterday. At least half a dozen of them have pumpkin seeds buried beneath the soil. I said I wasn't going to do it again, especially as it seems our squirrels developed a taste for the pumpkins on our porch this year. But... you know... it's Halloween. We have to have a few real pumpkins mixed in with all the fake ones. So, we'll do our best to grow a few again this year and hope they last long enough to make it through the holiday. The gardening adventure begins anew.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Okay, I concede defeat. I was out planting our seeds in pots yesterday. At least half a dozen of them have pumpkin seeds buried beneath the soil. I said I wasn't going to do it again, especially as it seems our squirrels developed a taste for the pumpkins on our porch this year. But... you know... it's Halloween. We have to have a few real pumpkins mixed in with all the fake ones. So, we'll do our best to grow a few again this year and hope they last long enough to make it through the holiday. The gardening adventure begins anew.
This year we're doubling the JBL & gourd arch. The only problem is that when we went to Tractor Supply on Sunday they didn't have any cattle panels. The closet Tractor Supply is about 45 miles away so I was pretty bummed.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
This year we're doubling the JBL & gourd arch. The only problem is that when we went to Tractor Supply on Sunday they didn't have any cattle panels. The closet Tractor Supply is about 45 miles away so I was pretty bummed.
Perhaps people are hoarding cattle panels. They look like the could come in handy being made into cages to store all their toilet paper.

·
Registered
542 Posts
We had beautiful weather all last week but I didn't get anything garden related accomplished thanks to scrambling to get working from home sorted out and being in a massive flare for some reason (most likely stress). Now it is cold and rainy for the foreseeable future 😭 I guess I will work on getting some seeds started indoors. The ground won't be warm enough outside for another 6 weeks or so anyway.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,618 Posts
First gourd bloom
Jealous!!!!!!! 🧡

Perhaps people are hoarding cattle panels. They look like the could come in handy being made into cages to store all their toilet paper.
Omg, hahahahahaha!!! That's one I haven't heard yet about TP hoarding, lol! 😂

61 - 76 of 76 Posts