Halloween Forum banner

761 - 780 of 824 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
I harvested 105 pumpkins this morning. That makes 130 total I got out of my patch that was 75 by 75 feet. What fun I had this year planting and growing pumpkins. A fun learning experience for sure. I had my son help me with the last 2 heavy ones. There are still 6 more growing out in the patch. So we had a very successful season and will definitely do this all over again next year. :)

View attachment 736605 View attachment 736612 View attachment 736613

View attachment 736614 View attachment 736615 View attachment 736616

The 2 big ones weighing in at 122 and 130 pounds

View attachment 736618

View attachment 736619

View attachment 736620
Nice. What variety are the big ones?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I harvested 105 pumpkins this morning. That makes 130 total I got out of my patch that was 75 by 75 feet. What fun I had this year planting and growing pumpkins. A fun learning experience for sure. I had my son help me with the last 2 heavy ones. There are still 6 more growing out in the patch. So we had a very successful season and will definitely do this all over again next year. :)

View attachment 736605 View attachment 736612 View attachment 736613

View attachment 736614 View attachment 736615 View attachment 736616

The 2 big ones weighing in at 122 and 130 pounds

View attachment 736618

View attachment 736619

View attachment 736620
WOW
Those are amazing!!! Congratulations on such a beautiful harvest

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I’m delurking to ask if anyone can give me any advice on aphids? My vines were in great shape and had a lot of squash developing until this weekend when I saw a lot of curling leaves and damaged blossoms. I checked under the leaves and saw a pretty awful aphid infestation, which I’ve never had.

I removed the worst plant and pruned some damaged leaves. I sprayed Neem oil3 nights ago. Today I sprayed with diluted Castile soap to keep treating the damage, but I’ve lost a bunch of leaves.

Can the vines come back from this kind of damage? I’m in a mild part of So Cal, so I theoretically have weeks of growing time left. Does anyone have advice on Neem oil or aphids?
My artichokes had a massive aphid infestation so I sprayed them with Pyrethrin. Do not spray plants when bees are active

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
100 mph wind gusts. what was left of the corn stalks will be shredded. Raven grass is iffy. Trees maybe. I honestly don't know if the pumpkin arch would survive but it's in a fairly sheltered place. Hoping the gazebo lives. Memories of 2010 when a similar storm wiped out my entire halloween collection when it dismantled the shed.
I'm sorry...i hope you will be able to salvage some things!!
It seems many of us have been having our turns with high, damaging winds...

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts

Lost power at 9AM, we got power back a few minutes ago, though given the state of the power lines, I don't expect it to last.

The garden is lain to ruin. The arch is toast, all pumpkin plants shredded to bits. My trees are shredded, de-leaved, and limbs cracked and dangling.

Neighbor's tree is across the fence.
Lord knows where my recycle bin is.

The shed door is in Oz, and one of my neighbors down the street found a bin labeled Animal Skulls and rightfully assumed it was mine. From out of the shed. I'll imagine the lollipop guild have skull hats now as they're nowhere to be seen. For the life of me I don't know how that one happened.

But, the only real damage thus far is my garage door was blown in. AGAIN. just like 2010.

And round 2 is bearing down on us tonight. We had a brief reprieve around noon, but it's picking back up. Maybe I'll wake up and be in kansas tomorrow.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts

Lost power at 9AM, we got power back a few minutes ago, though given the state of the power lines, I don't expect it to last.

The garden is lain to ruin. The arch is toast, all pumpkin plants shredded to bits. My trees are shredded, de-leaved, and limbs cracked and dangling.

Neighbor's tree is across the fence.
Lord knows where my recycle bin is.

The shed door is in Oz, and one of my neighbors down the street found a bin labeled Animal Skulls and rightfully assumed it was mine. From out of the shed. I'll imagine the lollipop guild have skull hats now as they're nowhere to be seen. For the life of me I don't know how that one happened.

But, the only real damage thus far is my garage door was blown in. AGAIN. just like 2010.

And round 2 is bearing down on us tonight. We had a brief reprieve around noon, but it's picking back up. Maybe I'll wake up and be in kansas tomorrow.
Omgoodness, I'm so sorry!! Jeeze, these winds and storms we have all been having all over the US are just getting out of control! I hope you made it through round two with minimal to no more damage, and that you guys over there are all okay! Be safe! Let us know that you are okay when you can, since I'm sure round two has gone through, by now. I hope you didn't lose power, again!

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts

We’re one of the fortunate ones with power restored at the moment.

round 3 is looking significantly weaker with “only” 60 mph winds. I won’t have leaves to take this fall though.

we got most the damaged limbs out of the trees, and the toppled ones out of several neighbors yards.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
100 mph wind gusts. what was left of the corn stalks will be shredded. Raven grass is iffy. Trees maybe. I honestly don't know if the pumpkin arch would survive but it's in a fairly sheltered place. Hoping the gazebo lives. Memories of 2010 when a similar storm wiped out my entire halloween collection when it dismantled the shed.
Our winds have hit town as well. Ours were only in the 70+ mph range, but the fires are burning out of control because of the fanning, and lots of folks don't have power. Gratefully, all our trees remain upright and only the corn is down. I guess those ears we were hoping to see in a couple of weeks are gone. Sadly, the winds won't be dying down enough to set them upright and hope for the best.

I guess we'll have decorations for Halloween this year. Trying to stay positive, but this year's garden is really working overtime to make that tough.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts

We’re one of the fortunate ones with power restored at the moment.

round 3 is looking significantly weaker with “only” 60 mph winds. I won’t have leaves to take this fall though.

we got most the damaged limbs out of the trees, and the toppled ones out of several neighbors yards.
How is everything after round three hit? Still have power? I hope all is okay.

Can you pop the dents out of the garage door...or will it have to be replaced?

I know your patch, corn and grasses were pummeled...but were you able to harvest and salvage anything? Any pumpkins? It looks like you may have been able to harvest those few minis I see on the ground...and maybe cut and dry some of the flattened stalks/grasses??

Hoping for the best, for you, and everyone else who is dealing with storms, wildfires, smoke...

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
Our winds have hit town as well. Ours were only in the 70+ mph range, but the fires are burning out of control because of the fanning, and lots of folks don't have power. Gratefully, all our trees remain upright and only the corn is down. I guess those ears we were hoping to see in a couple of weeks are gone. Sadly, the winds won't be dying down enough to set them upright and hope for the best.

View attachment 736906

I guess we'll have decorations for Halloween this year. Trying to stay positive, but this year's garden is really working overtime to make that tough.
I see they are flattened down...but are the roots still in the ground? Did they break? Maybe they can hang in there on the ground long enough for the winds to die down and you can stake them back up...
If they aren't broken but the roots are a bit out of the ground, maybe you could pile some dirt over the roots to help keep them protected and alive?

If none of this is possible, I would say you could always cut them, hang them somewhere to dry and use them for Fall decor.

I'm sorry you are having all this damage, too...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
I see they are flattened down...but are the roots still in the ground? Did they break?
The winds have been very high for three days. Tonight they're supposed to die down. Tomorrow we will go out and assess the actual damage. Gardeners always hope for the best. :) We'll let you know how things turn out. Like you, we figure worst case scenario we have some fun props for Halloween. Most of the corn is only five feet high, which is perfect for decorating our small little yard.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
UnOrthoDox and chubstuff - I'm really sorry you're having such a rough time! I hope y'all are ok. It really stinks to lose everything this close to the finish line 😕
It's nice to have somewhere to gripe when things go wrong, but overall, considering the neighborhood, we have very little to complain about. People are without power, some folks are being evacuated from their homes as the forest fires, started by a 15 year old kid with illegal fireworks, creep ever closer to small towns and cities. We have smoke filled skies that remind me there are far worse things than a failed garden crop. The fact I get to post pictures and vent is good enough for me. Tomorrow I water the garden and assess damage. By mid-afternoon, I'll be wearing a respirator to breath past the smoke and work on Halloween props. Life is weird, but it is still good. :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's nice to have somewhere to gripe when things go wrong, but overall, considering the neighborhood, we have very little to complain about. People are without power, some folks are being evacuated from their homes as the forest fires, started by a 15 year old kid with illegal fireworks, creep ever closer to small towns and cities. We have smoke filled skies that remind me there are far worse things than a failed garden crop. The fact I get to post pictures and vent is good enough for me. Tomorrow I water the garden and assess damage. By mid-afternoon, I'll be wearing a respirator to breath past the smoke and work on Halloween props. Life is weird, but it is still good. :)
Oh lordy the smoke is no joke! We're preparing to be locked away inside the house for the next few days as a "super massive" smoke cloud bears down upon us.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,064 Posts
I've been seeing so many pics and videos of all that smoke...be careful, you guys. Try to not breathe that stuff in!! I hope none of you have to evacuate!! My younger brother in law lives in Oregon and he just told me, today, they are readying to evac the city just 30 mins from him. His area is right on the border of the zone 1 evac areas, I guess, or something. I told him to be ready, just in case, he said he already has stuff that he can't easily replace loaded into his car. Told him to let us and his mom know if he has to leave. I worry about everyone I know on the whole west coast with all the fires and smoke!
Be safe!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I hate fireworks. They cause so much damage & scare animals. Be careful while watering

761 - 780 of 824 Posts