Halloween Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
I just moved from Arizona (Phoenix suburb) where I was fighting extreme heat (with minimal success) to Southern Minnesota. I have almost an acre of land here so I just ordered a bunch of seeds from Burpee.com of varieties that I always wanted to try to grow.

Jack Be Little - For a container on the porch

Jarrahdale

Musquee de Provence

Rouge Vif d'Etampes

Big Max

Plus some seeds for corn (I want the stalks!)

Does anyone in the upper midwest have tips for growing things in a place that actually has weather?

His name is Roger Clyne
We're sorta the opposite here in MD right now. It's been in the 50s & 60s, lots of rain though. My chrysanthemums are putting out new growth, my chives are coming up, I didn't lose my rosemary yet, but Sunday there's supposed to be a big cold front coming in.

I want a REAL winter again, if for no other reason than to kill off the bad bugs. We need to freeze those stink bugs, fleas, ticks & skeeters to death!!

The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang just posted about our winter weather here so far:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/02/12/global-warming-is-nudging-washingtons-climate-southward-this-winter-it-most-resembles-atlanta/
Global warming is making Washington鈥檚 climate more

Consider this winter a preview of the region鈥檚 future

Since the winter solstice on Dec. 21, Washington鈥檚 weather has taken an excursion toward a far more southern clime. With an average high temperature of 54 degrees, the weather has best matched the typical winter conditions in Atlanta.

Because of human-induced climate warming, winters like this 鈥 characterized by a lack of extreme cold and spotty snowfall 鈥 may become the norm this century.

Multiple studies have projected that the climate of the Mid-Atlantic region will turn more southern over the coming decades. This means shorter winters with far less bite.

From a practical standpoint, you may find yourself needing heavy coats, scarves and hats far less, and hitting the golf links rather than the ski slopes.

This winter is merely a sneak preview; it is tied strongly to a weather pattern in the Arctic, which is preventing frigid air from escaping the northern latitudes, as well as to long-term climate change.

Of the past 54 days, 45 have been milder than average. On a stretch from December into January, 17 days in a row were milder than normal. Through Wednesday, we have seen a streak of 20 consecutive mild days.

Extreme cold has been notably absent. For only the fourth time so late in the season, we鈥檝e yet to see freezing temperatures for an entire calendar day.

Just like a typical winter in Atlanta
Data analysis from the Southeast Regional Climate Center shows a striking match between this year鈥檚 weather in Washington and typical winter conditions in Atlanta. That city鈥檚 average winter high and low temperatures are 54 and 36 degrees, which is exactly what Washington has seen since the solstice.

Washington鈥檚 0.6 inches of snowfall is also close to Atlanta鈥檚 average snow of just over an inch.
No offense to Atlanta but if I wanted that type of winter, I'd move to Atlanta & I don't wanna move to Atlanta. I need my seasons to be 4 distinct seasons & this just isn't working for me.

I'd like ONE GOOD SNOWSTORM this winter. There's always March......sigh

Kitchen/Green Witch
We just got snowed on last night and this morning...and the temps are dropping quickly. It's currently 16 degrees with a -2 wind chill, and by tomorrow morning it will be 1 degree with a wind chill of around -10. Brrrrr.

I'm itching to start pumpkins and gourds!!! I'm still just making do with starting herbs, cat grass and peppers in my little basement greenhouse. Ahhh, I am soooooo jealous of those of you who can start warmer weather seeds, already!!!!! At least my cats are happy, getting to mow their tiny potted lawns every few days, hahaha...

Registered
I just moved from Arizona (Phoenix suburb) where I was fighting extreme heat (with minimal success) to Southern Minnesota. I have almost an acre of land here so I just ordered a bunch of seeds from Burpee.com of varieties that I always wanted to try to grow.

Jack Be Little - For a container on the porch

Jarrahdale

Musquee de Provence

Rouge Vif d'Etampes

Big Max

Plus some seeds for corn (I want the stalks!)

Does anyone in the upper midwest have tips for growing things in a place that actually has weather?
Best of luck in your new 馃巸馃巸馃巸 garden.
It's been raining here nearly every day.

Registered
We just got snowed on last night and this morning...and the temps are dropping quickly. It's currently 16 degrees with a -2 wind chill, and by tomorrow morning it will be 1 degree with a wind chill of around -10. Brrrrr.

I'm itching to start pumpkins and gourds!!! I'm still just making do with starting herbs, cat grass and peppers in my little basement greenhouse. Ahhh, I am soooooo jealous of those of you who can start warmer weather seeds, already!!!!! At least my cats are happy, getting to mow their tiny potted lawns every few days, hahaha...
Like @RCIAG said: Its non stop rain here. It may be warmer but it sure isn't productive. Honestly it's a bit disheartening

41 - 47 of 47 Posts