Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
Having great success (maybe to much) with my old 2018 seeds.
All of the Crown of Thorns seeds germinated. If you all lived closer I'd love to share some of the sprouts.
Will you be able to plant your sprouts any time soon or do you grow them indoors? I got a small greenhouse that I need to assemble but it's too wet and windy right now. I have enough work to do securing the trash cans in these wind storms 馃槅 I know trying to grow anything indoors is a lost cause due to a particular feline (I'm looking at you Bandit!)

There are so many interesting and unique pumpkins and gourds out there! Do y'all have better luck buying seeds online or finding them locally? I have only seen Jack o'lantern, JBL and Casper varieties around here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Wow. Your temps are in the 70s??? We wont have temps like that for a few weeks. Do you have pictures of your Chihuahuan and Navajo pumpkins?
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... REALLY? We won't see 70 for another three months. Well, maybe for two days in March. It always warms up just before the cold weather returns. It's sort of like a teaser of spring without spring actually showing up. It wreaks havoc with our cherry crops and any other fruit tree that jumps the gun on flowering only to be frozen back.

Big Max pumpkins advertise 100lb+ which would put them in the same ballpark as Big Moose, but they don't seem to keep their shape as well from what I can find.
We grew them for three years and we liked them. Ours never got to 100 pounds though. Our largest was probably about 70 pounds. But they looked very much like what one would consider a regular pumpkin. No strange deformations or weird growth patterns. They did have incredibly thick, stubby stems though. They all made wonderful looking pumpkins out in the graveyard . They had a wonderful orange color often mixed with bright green and white striations. One of the strangest things about them is that more people thought they were fake than some of our fake pumpkins. The colors were just so vibrant and the smooth, glossy skin on them made them look plastic. Last year nothing grew right, and our Max pumpkins were only the size of regular pumpkins, but they did have the bright orange color.

Registered
Will you be able to plant your sprouts any time soon or do you grow them indoors? I got a small greenhouse that I need to assemble but it's too wet and windy right now. I have enough work to do securing the trash cans in these wind storms 馃槅 I know trying to grow anything indoors is a lost cause due to a particular feline (I'm looking at you Bandit!)

There are so many interesting and unique pumpkins and gourds out there! Do y'all have better luck buying seeds online or finding them locally? I have only seen Jack o'lantern, JBL and Casper varieties around here.
Temps will warm up here in early/mid March then I'll start taking the plants to cold frames during day & bring in when I get home from office. They wont be planted until mid April.
Btw - I grow a big pot of cat grass every winter for my kitties. This stops them from munching seedlings. Maybe Bandit would enjoy it too.

The Pumpkin Growers thread has taught me about so many different plants: corn, gourds, millet & pumpkins.. the only places I can buy them from are online. The only problem I have is that each company might only sell one variety of seeds that I want. I cant always justify spending $3 on a packet of seeds but shipping is $5. (Make sense?)

Registered
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... REALLY? We won't see 70 for another three months. Well, maybe for two days in March. It always warms up just before the cold weather returns. It's sort of like a teaser of spring without spring actually showing up. It wreaks havoc with our cherry crops and any other fruit tree that jumps the gun on flowering only to
Idk how you guys can live so far North. I'd die ~ no really I can not live any further north then here. I'd move further South but I'm terrified of alligators

Kitchen/Green Witch
I won't see warm enough temps to plant pumpkins and such until late May...
In two or three months, if the ground thaws enough and winter doesn't hang on, I can start stuff like carrots and such, but that's about it.
I agree, we always get a "teaser Spring", too...it never lasts long and makes our Spring fever even worse! I have had it mess up the in ground plants and shrubs, too, where they think Spring it starting, start to leaf/bud for the year and the freezing cold comes back and damages things. Ug.

Super Moderator
Idk how you guys can live so far North. I'd die ~ no really I can not live any further north then here. I'd move further South but I'm terrified of alligators
Swap South for North, and youd have me. Don't know how people south of here handle the heat. I'll probably move north when I retire. Washington and Montana top the list. (though Flagstaff Arizona was elevated enough to avoid much of the heat and was nice when I was working there)

Super Moderator
We grew them for three years and we liked them. Ours never got to 100 pounds though. Our largest was probably about 70 pounds. But they looked very much like what one would consider a regular pumpkin. No strange deformations or weird growth patterns. They did have incredibly thick, stubby stems though. They all made wonderful looking pumpkins out in the graveyard . They had a wonderful orange color often mixed with bright green and white striations. One of the strangest things about them is that more people thought they were fake than some of our fake pumpkins. The colors were just so vibrant and the smooth, glossy skin on them made them look plastic. Last year nothing grew right, and our Max pumpkins were only the size of regular pumpkins, but they did have the bright orange color.
Good to know. How hot do you get where you are?

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
I think it's just the way we're wired internally. I grew up in Tucson, Arizona and hated every hellish summer I lived there. The life of walking out of the air conditioned house into the air conditioned car; crawling out of the air conditioned car to go the air conditioned school or job, was more than I could handle. I moved up to the Northwest as soon as I could and never regretted it for a moment.

I live on the west side of the Cascade mountain range. It's the Oregon everyone talks about when they say Oregon rains all the time. But I was born to have moss growing between my webbed toes. :) The one thing that most folks don't realize about the area is that it doesn't have the extremes that many locations have. It's not often super hot or exceedingly cold. But it does have a short, mild growing season that can be dicey at best some years. Then again, we don't have SVB killer bugs invading our turf, so I might be totally fine with weather that doesn't invite them to take up residence.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Good to know. How hot do you get where you are?
We don't get very hot at all. It rarely gets into the nineties during the summer months. Usually about two weeks of over 90 weather is considered normal. Where we struggle as pumpkin growers is lack of sunshine. Last year the temperatures were perfect for pumpkin growing, but we didn't see full sun for months. Instead we had week after week of cloudy weather. The entire growing season was a bust for almost everyone. When the weather cooperates, Western Oregon is actually a great place to grow pumpkins. We have growers all over our area.

Registered
@chubstuff - my hubby was born near Phoenix & spent a lot of time in the Superstition Mountains. He told me about the intense heat. I'm very curious about that area & would love to hike there.

We bought cilantro and found this vine mixed in. I'm pretty sure its Bind Weed. It was promptly returned to grocery store. I can't wait until my cilantro seedlings grow.

Not much to report except another JBL died - only 1 left. I think I'm tossing the rest of the old seeds into compost.

Attachments

Super Moderator
And we're supposed to get 14" of snow today...

We don't get very hot at all. It rarely gets into the nineties during the summer months. Usually about two weeks of over 90 weather is considered normal. Where we struggle as pumpkin growers is lack of sunshine. Last year the temperatures were perfect for pumpkin growing, but we didn't see full sun for months. Instead we had week after week of cloudy weather. The entire growing season was a bust for almost everyone. When the weather cooperates, Western Oregon is actually a great place to grow pumpkins. We have growers all over our area.
Hmmm. Wonder how they'd do in the 100+ range we see through July/August. I usually have trouble with varieties setting pumpkins in the heat.

Registered
And I'm just the opposite, grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and now I'm down in Tucson and love the heat compared to the long dreary gray of winter. Our challenge is the heat and plants drying out in an instant if you don't keep on top of their watering schedule.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
I guess we all have to work with the climate we have. Some of us were lucky enough to move to the areas we prefer, but the pumpkins are fickle critters that seem to laugh at our efforts to make an environment where they will grow optimally. But every now and then we find that special year where it all comes together and the pumpkins we put out are ones we're proud to show off come Halloween night. The pumpkins win no matter what. They always win. :)

Super Moderator
Well, ended up going with Dill's Atlantic Giants largely because the websites selling that world of color were giving me trouble.

My Uncle grew these for years, so I know they handle the weather fine, and they didn't get too terribly massive with his lazy method of growing. I'm going to try them in something of a 3 sisters arrangement.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts