Halloween Forum banner

361 - 380 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Pumpkins are on the march across ugly sewer. Hope my cranky neighbors across street don't rat me out to county. Not sure if what I'm doing is legal but I promise I wont cover manhole (fingers crossed behind my back) Gotta admit it looks a lot nicer then that crappy concrete

Attachments

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Found more squash bugs, babies and eggs...removed as many of those as I could find...and found a SVB. I tried to get the SVB and sprayed it a few times, but I just couldn't get it and it flew away. I hope the spray gets it wherever it went. If not, I'll have to be on the lookout for it. I have no idea how to catch and kill those things. (I have no money for traps or such.)
Between those and all the other insect damage, I am about ready to just let them have the garden, this year.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Pumpkins are on the march across ugly sewer. Hope my cranky neighbors across street don't rat me out to county. Not sure if what I'm doing is legal but I promise I wont cover manhole (fingers crossed behind my back) Gotta admit it looks a lot nicer then that crappy concrete
I would check county codes just in case there is some sort of fine for covering up a hole. I'm thinking there might be, because government makes the worst neighbors. I think there's less likely to be any kind of penalty for encroaching on their concrete.

I remember getting a notice from the city telling us we had to cut down our back yard grass, or they would come in, do it, and bill us for the service. We explained to them we had been out of town for three weeks when a visit to the folks turned into a three week hospital stay. I also pointed out the fact that directly behind our property the grass was even taller and that piece of land was theirs. The outcome of all the conversations is that now once a year, the city comes and mows their grass and we do it a few more times than that. :)

I suspect in this day and age, someone might report the wandering vines, you know, because. But I do believe a strong case can be made for it being claimed as a city beautification project.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Found more squash bugs, babies and eggs...removed as many of those as I could find...and found a SVB. I tried to get the SVB and sprayed it a few times, but I just couldn't get it and it flew away. I hope the spray gets it wherever it went. If not, I'll have to be on the lookout for it. I have no idea how to catch and kill those things. (I have no money for traps or such.)
Between those and all the other insect damage, I am about ready to just let them have the garden, this year.
We have larger mammalian pests this year in the form of deer. It might be our last year for planting crops. They seem to leave many of the flowers alone. The roses, they apparently think are candy, because they're getting chewed up. But lilies, iris, zennias, daisies, and most of the other flowers are unmunched. (I know it's not a word, but it should be.) We feel that frustration that comes from loving to garden, but finding the luster gone when it turns out all we're doing is making a buffet for critters.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
We have larger mammalian pests this year in the form of deer. It might be our last year for planting crops. They seem to leave many of the flowers alone. The roses, they apparently think are candy, because they're getting chewed up. But lilies, iris, zennias, daisies, and most of the other flowers are unmunched. (I know it's not a word, but it should be.) We feel that frustration that comes from loving to garden, but finding the luster gone when it turns out all we're doing is making a buffet for critters.
Yeah, we have furry critters nibbling up our gardens, too. It's pretty much all around destruction, this year.
We dealt with deer at our old house...LOTS of them, every day. I had to plant deer resistant plants and flowers, as they ate all the rest. That's the one animal we don't really have wandering around at this house, as we are in town and not on the border of the woods, anymore. The bunnies, squirrels and chipmunks do more than enough garden damage, though. I still love all my pain in the but critters, though, lol.
The insects are doing the worst amount of damage, this year, though.

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
More rain, 60s, not July weather at all.

Garden. Tomatoes and first batch of corn coming along great. We couldn't weed (hoe) the rows of corn as I was waiting for direct sow beans to sprout for the three sisters I'm doing.

Mini pumpkin mix are just getting their second true leaf.

Closer shot of the corn. 1st, 2nd, 3rd all planted 2 weeks apart. 2nd batch had REALLY awful germination and only 2 rows as a result. and it looks like the 3rd is going to catch up to them in growth. You can also see the soaker hose setup. I need to get some stakes to hold it all down the middle of the hills.

The giants.

We're supposed to get back up into the 80s and maybe brush 90 this week, that should get things moving again. (we're usually 90's brushing 100s by now)

·
Registered
713 Posts
I ran soaker hoses once and killed my whole patch. I over watered them to death LOL.
Now I let mother nature do it's course only if it does not rain for 3-4 days then I will water my plants.
Im paranoid about over watering them. That's cool you are planting giants. Mine are growing and im
curious to see how big they get. Anything is great for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yeah it rained every day from Jan through May. I didn't think we would ever have 2 days in a row with no rain so I could till
up my field. It rains like 300 days a year here in KY it is complete BS. I have never lived in a place where it rains 6 days a week,
even in Germany it wasn't as bad but close. I don't really have to water the pumpkins cuz it is still raining 6 days a week.
That's a plus, mother nature will do the job for me. :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah it rained every day from Jan through May. I didn't think we would ever have 2 days in a row with no rain so I could till
up my field. It rains like 300 days a year here in KY it is complete BS. I have never lived in a place where it rains 6 days a week,
even in Germany it wasn't as bad but close. I don't really have to water the pumpkins cuz it is still raining 6 days a week.
That's a plus, mother nature will do the job for me. :D
Wow! Wish it would rain here.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sad day.

I am losing two of my three pumpkins. There was frass on each pumpkin, with my large pumpkin having the most. The frass was from a pickle worm or similar moth worm. I attempted to use a straightened paper clip dipped in insecticide to clean out the holes. It was maybe half a pencil eraser of frass but the holes were couple inches deep. I would like to think that I have a chance of it scarring over, but I know that is wishful thinking.

All in all, taking it in stride. I still have the medium pumpkin growing with no problems. Like RM, it has rained nearly every day for two weeks, and I have not been spraying or drenching like I normally would. Funny how wet weather can affect everything.

I terminated all secondaries last weekend, so I will be hoping to maybe pollinate the mains as they grow out. But since my plants have been in the ground since April 15th, they are no longer spring chickens popping out females every two feet.

But, still happy and content. It is not the end of the world, only the end of the world is the end of the world. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,833 Posts
I don't know if I've mentioned this here before but Thuricide works well on squash bugs as well as cabbage loopers. It works really well too.

It's a bacteria not a poison. You mix it up in the right quantities & spray the leaves & vines all over & under the leaves too. Of course try to work around any rain you'll have & you should probably use it once a week or so depending on the weather. It's the only thing that's saving my brussels sprouts right now.

The other bane of my gardening existence, Japanese beetles, will be taken care of with the good & nasty poison, Sevin since we aren't eating the flowers they're eating.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Col., I'm sorry about your two pumpkins. I had a hole in a Jarrahdale a couple years ago...I filled it in with outdoor caulk. Oddly, it worked to help seal the hole. I don't know if it would work well with a still growing giant pumpkin, but it's worth a shot, maybe?? I hope your third pumpkin does well and that, maybe, you can get another pollinated.

RCIAG, omg...the last two years, those Japanese Beetles (black rainbow shiny beetles of mass destruction that I had never even seen before moving to this house) absolutely destroyed every single pale yellow rose that would bloom! They were everywhere!!! I fought and fought and just couldn't get rid of them. I found out they prefer white and yellow roses to the darker pinks and reds...had I known this would be an issue, I'd have planted all darker roses! My neighbor had her tree sprayed by a company because I guess it was infested with the beetles...probably where they were all coming from. I could not believe how quickly they covered and destroyed any yellow rose in my garden. My rose bushes looked awful!!
I haven't had too many, this year...so far...but since I am having issues with a million other insects destroying my flower and veggie gardens, this year, I guess it wouldn't even matter. My rose leaves are all latticed, flowers dead, my jalapeno plant's leaves are latticed and the young jalapenos just keep falling off the plants before maturity...(we love jalapenos, so this is a particularly upsetting thing to have happen that I have never had happen in all my years of growing them!)...and, of course, I'm still fighting more squash bugs, daily, white flies and that SVB that may have gotten away.

...and a critter...probably a bunny...is mowing down the rest of the lower plants in my front gardens. Not just nibbling, like usual, but down to the ground...and leaving the leaves and branches on the ground, not eating them, which makes no sense. I'd swear a human is coming around and cutting my plants!! We just transplanted our Tickseed flower plants to the front gardens where they'd get more sun...some were just about to bloom and something ate all the blooms off!!

Then, we keep having issues with the spray nozzles on our watering garden hose...he fixed it for the millionth time, then it started to lightly spray at the coupling between the nozzle and hose, again...I dealt with it, just holding my hand over the light spray while I worked, until today. Today, I put my hand over it, turned on the water and the nozzle exploded out of my hand and the hose and I got soaked before I could get to the faucet and turn it back off. Now, I have no hose and it's just too much for me to water everything with the watering can. It's waaaay too hot to go out and try to repair the hose, again...and we can't afford a new one, especially since this was a really nice, expensive 100 ft hose. (we can't even afford a cheap one, atm, due to lay offs.) It's so hit and unusually dry, my plants really need that water...especially my pumpkins!

ARG! I wave the white flag, this year...nature can just take my flower gardens, veggies and pumpkins...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Col., I'm sorry about your two pumpkins. I had a hole in a Jarrahdale a couple years ago...I filled it in with outdoor caulk. Oddly, it worked to help seal the hole. I don't know if it would work well with a still growing giant pumpkin, but it's worth a shot, maybe?? I hope your third pumpkin does well and that, maybe, you can get another pollinated.

RCIAG, omg...the last two years, those Japanese Beetles (black rainbow shiny beetles of mass destruction that I had never even seen before moving to this house) absolutely destroyed every single pale yellow rose that would bloom! They were everywhere!!! I fought and fought and just couldn't get rid of them. I found out they prefer white and yellow roses to the darker pinks and reds...had I known this would be an issue, I'd have planted all darker roses! My neighbor had her tree sprayed by a company because I guess it was infested with the beetles...probably where they were all coming from. I could not believe how quickly they covered and destroyed any yellow rose in my garden. My rose bushes looked awful!!
I haven't had too many, this year...so far...but since I am having issues with a million other insects destroying my flower and veggie gardens, this year, I guess it wouldn't even matter. My rose leaves are all latticed, flowers dead, my jalapeno plant's leaves are latticed and the young jalapenos just keep falling off the plants before maturity...(we love jalapenos, so this is a particularly upsetting thing to have happen that I have never had happen in all my years of growing them!)...and, of course, I'm still fighting more squash bugs, daily, white flies and that SVB that may have gotten away.

...and a critter...probably a bunny...is mowing down the rest of the lower plants in my front gardens. Not just nibbling, like usual, but down to the ground...and leaving the leaves and branches on the ground, not eating them, which makes no sense. I'd swear a human is coming around and cutting my plants!! We just transplanted our Tickseed flower plants to the front gardens where they'd get more sun...some were just about to bloom and something ate all the blooms off!!

Then, we keep having issues with the spray nozzles on our watering garden hose...he fixed it for the millionth time, then it started to lightly spray at the coupling between the nozzle and hose, again...I dealt with it, just holding my hand over the light spray while I worked, until today. Today, I put my hand over it, turned on the water and the nozzle exploded out of my hand and the hose and I got soaked before I could get to the faucet and turn it back off. Now, I have no hose and it's just too much for me to water everything with the watering can. It's waaaay too hot to go out and try to repair the hose, again...and we can't afford a new one, especially since this was a really nice, expensive 100 ft hose. (we can't even afford a cheap one, atm, due to lay offs.) It's so hit and unusually dry, my plants really need that water...especially my pumpkins!

ARG! I wave the white flag, this year...nature can just take my flower gardens, veggies and pumpkins...
WK - do you have a "Buy Nothing Group" in your area? It's a group of people who try to rehome toys, books, clothes, tools, etc. I've gotten a few nice things from there & given tons of stuff back. You should check it. You're allowed to ask if anyone has a hose they want to get rid of. It wont be brand new but it would work.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
WK - do you have a "Buy Nothing Group" in your area? It's a group of people who try to rehome toys, books, clothes, tools, etc. I've gotten a few nice things from there & given tons of stuff back. You should check it. You're allowed to ask if anyone has a hose they want to get rid of. It wont be brand new but it would work.
There is only one city in that list that's remotely close to us, but still a 20 min drive or so...and that city's group barely has any people in it and no recent posts in the past month or more. There are some in places further away that we usually like to drive to, but since we can't buy much, atm, out of town trips are pointless and a waste of gas. Thank you for letting me know about this, though. We live in a small area, so we don't have much around here.

361 - 380 of 387 Posts