Halloween Forum banner

341 - 360 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Another year of struggles for many of us.

WitchyKitty-- First, those fireflies are your friends! They are predators that eat many little garden pests. If there are lots of fireflies on your plants, it's probably because there's an unusual amount of food for them there this year. They'll eat aphid, whiteflies, small squash bug nymphs-- so the more fireflies the better!

A few pests have shown up unusually early here. The SVB was way ahead of schedule, but I haven't seen more since. We have big potato beetles already, lots of cucumber beetles, ridiculous numbers of cabbage butterflies-- but those last are always early.

I had a third female Toad flower today...once again on a day with no C. pepo males. At least the second one does look like it took. Insects are early, vegetables are slow.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hey you guys, I'm freaking out. One of my pumpkins wilted so I examined it & found this foamy mess underneath. I've never seen it before. Is this SVB? Thank you.
For me, it is usually the orange frass and the blow out in the stem that screams "Hello SVB." I am not sure about the foam stuff. Good luck with your bug war. We promise not to kick you off the forum for not going organic like your other forum did. {Insert Smiley Pumpkin Emoji}.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
For me, it is usually the orange frass and the blow out in the stem that screams "Hello SVB." I am not sure about the foam stuff. Good luck with your bug war. We promise not to kick you off the forum for not going organic like your other forum did. {Insert Smiley Pumpkin Emoji}.
Thanks dude! I charged up my zapper too! I'm off to fight

Attachments

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Kdestra, I hope you get your SVB problem resolved, asap!
UnOrthodOx, I'm sorry you are having a lower germination rate. Mine was a bit lower than normal, too, this year, which is an issue I rarely have. I hope you get more to germinate!
Col., it's good seeing you're getting some good numbers, already!
ooojen, I didn't think lightning bugs could be bad, I love them so much...thank you for reassuring me. I am very happy to know that they are predators and are, hopefully, helping me with whatever is chewing on everything and the whiteflies that started showing up! Bring on the lightning bugs (fireflies, lol.)!!! *It is bothersome to know that there may be more of them all over my garden because there are so many bad bugs in there...I hope the lightning bugs get them all!!

Almost all of my pumpkin plants have tiny baby females forming!!!! Yay!!! Let's hope my lightning bug friends can help me keep the bad bug count down so my females can grow up big and strong!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
HAPPY BELATED DAP 20 1927

My 1927 pumpkin turned 20 days old yesterday. My 2 foot by 2 foot board is just about gone in ten days. The numbers are about equal with last years front running pumpkin.

The 1927 has a circumference of 65 inches, side to side of 47.5 inches and front to back of 45 inches. So the overall total is 157.5 inches which equates to an estimated weight of 94.7 pounds.

The pics tell the tale.

1927 10 DAP

1927 DAP 20

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SUNDAY MORNING TALE OF THE TAPE

A little late today. Everything is going pretty well. The 1952 is still the leader and should be for the next 3-4 weeks. The 1952 has put on eighty pounds since last Sunday which averages out to almost 11.5 pounds per day. The plant is still the weakest in every regard compared to the other two.

The 1742A is looking strong, my biggest concern is a stem split in the main vine about three feet in front of it. It seems to have stabilized and healed, but it is certainly not idea. It added 20 inches in circumference in 5 days.

The 1742B is still my runt and I cannot figure out why. It has the best main vine with no problems and the best leaf canopy. But this is the second pumpkin that I have set. I am thinking about setting a third, but it is getting late in the season. We shall see.

Here are the numbers and the increases:

1927 DAP 22
71 in. circ.(+27), 49 in. top/bottom (+16), 51 in. side/side (+16), Total: 171 inches (+59).
Estimated weight: 118.9 lbs. (+80.1), 11.44 pounds a day since last Sunday.

1742A DAP 15
47 inches circ.(+20 since Tuesday), 36 top/bottom, 37.5 side/side. Total: 120.5 inches.
Estimated weight: 46.7 lbs.

1742B DAP 14
37 inches circ. (16 inches since Wed.), 30 top/bottom, 29 side/side. Total: 96 inches.
Estimated weight: 26.6 lbs.

1742A DAP 10

1742A DAP 15

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just amazing, Col. Fryght!
Thank you. This season has not been without turmoil. So the 1927 put on 80 lbs last week which is amazing, but what is really amazing is that the plant has no stump. I had to pull the stump and cut the vine to the first good node. I have had to do that before with regular pumpkin plants, but it will make me wonder about what could have been with a stump.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hey, Col, dumb Q. IS that a foam block with sand you are putting those pumpkins on? Is there a reasoning to the sand?
Just to help slide the pumpkin when it needs adjusting as it grows into the vine. It will probably need to be adjusted a time or two as it grows into the hundreds of pounds.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Was wondering about the sand too. Do you think it also deters slugs & other bugs?

So far I've Killed 2 SVBs & started burying vines. The window box JBLs aren't doing much at all.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Took a few photos while on SVB Patrol
The first 2 are Queensland Blue & White Boer. I'm not saving seeds from these so I'm not worried about cross pollination. The plan is to let the vines run across the ugly concrete sewer. I'll put big brown paper bags underneath & some mulch. Lucky me, my house is the only one with a huge sewer right in the middle of the front yard.

The next 2 photos are the 2018 Crown Of Thorn seeds. Super impressed with them. Love the funky leaves & vigorous vines. Unfortunately something ate the top vine.

Last but not least ~ the first planting of corn is beautiful & pumpkin tunnel is starting to take off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
While cruising around the Net, I stumbled upon this combination of gourd and mini pumpkin that I thought was great. For those of you growing both, maybe there's an idea here for using them beyond the placement inside a cornucopia come Thanksgiving.

Here's where you can find all the details. Gourd Snake Swallowing a Baby Pumpkin

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Lucky me, my house is the only one with a huge sewer right in the middle of the front yard.
While it does seem frustrating, maybe you can celebrate the fact that for one brief moment every year, having a sewer in your front yard isn't as bad, it's a design element.

Alligators, giant rats, or subterranean spiders all seem equally viable options.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Was wondering about the sand too. Do you think it also deters slugs & other bugs?
I think it helps. I spray it with bug spray and will get out the sevin dust and add that to the sand. But the sand primarily to help move the pumpkin without scarring the bottom.

341 - 360 of 387 Posts