Halloween Forum banner

321 - 340 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #321

Wahoooo... I got my rototiller back from the repairman. Sure, it's about a month late, but I have talked to all my plants and told them they will need to really push themselves this year to grow faster. The beds for the pumpkins and corn will be ready in a couple of more days. I want to till it all one more time, and it rained yesterday. So, later this evening I will be out grinding up the clay and grass into what I hope will become lush soil. Although, I realize the ingredients I'm mixing together are the same ones for making bricks. We'll see which way it turns out later this summer. On the plus side, tomorrow is supposed to be in the nineties, so I'm pretty sure the plants will enjoy being under shade a bit longer before being planted. A few days from now it's supposed to be cloudy again with more traditional temperatures in the upper 70's.

But today and tomorrow are supposed to be rain free, so while the garden waits, I will be working on another backyard project.

The mausoleum is getting a dye job, nothing major, just a bit of paint to even things out. Last year was the first year the entire mausoleum went up, and there were some color differences between the pieces. They were all made at different times of the year, with different weather conditions. So, some pieces are darker than others, some are more fluid looking because it was raining when I painted them; you know, normal haunting stuff. So, I have them all out, and they're getting painted to even everything out. It's not exactly pumpkins, but it is Halloween. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Things are looking good for you this year Col. Keep up the tail of the tape on Sunday’s for us. I know I enjoy seeing your progress.

I’m also glad to hear that WK had her first male flowers open! Hopefully the females won’t be far behind.

Ooojen, sorry to hear you had a female open, but no males were open. What are the chances of that?

I‘m right there with the others when it comes to growing more than I need to each year. Then I stress about getting them planted somewhere and end up having more than I can really take care of. My thought is to just plant as many as possible and hope that means I get more results. Maybe if I planted less I could space them out more and it would be easier to take care of.

Kdestra, sorry to hear about your corn. Not sure it would help, but maybe save whatever you grow this year. Then next year place this years ears out and let the chipmunks go to town on that. I had the same problem last year with the squirrels ravaging my corn.

Glad to hear you got your rototiller fixed chubstuff. I just got a new belt on mine today as well and it’s working again. After reading some information, I’m torn on using a tiller in the future. After getting a new tiller this year, and getting my ground to look great, I’ve been inundated with some kind of weed that I haven’t had in the past. I’ve read that tilling may be worse when it comes to weeds because when tilling, you may be spreading weed seeds into the soil, causing more weeds to sprout.

I haven’t had nearly enough time to properly take care of my crops this year. My garden is at my office, and took off work Thursday and Friday to get stuff done at home. I stopped by the office on Sunday and couldn’t believe how the weeds too over so quickly. I decided to spend the entire day weeding and putting down paper grocery bags around my plants in hopes of keeping the weeds down and let the plants get all of the water and fertilizer. I still have a long way to go but it’s a start. Here’s where I was this morning:

If anyone knows what this weed is, and how to stop it, I’d love to know.

After about five hours of pulling weeds by hand, placing the paper bags down, and running the rototiller after I got it fixed, it now looks so much better. I just worry about the weeds coming back. I didn’t have this problem last year.

Ive been thinking about sprinkling Preen in between the rows as well as using cut grass. I worry that the Preen could prevent the pumpkins from properly growing and need to research it some more. Anyone have an opinion on using Preen between the rows?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Kdestra, I'm sorry about your corn, too. I hope you get, at least, what you needed for decor for the year.

chibstuff, glad you got your tiller back!!

Mayor...omg...that is a crazy amount of weeds! I am not sure what it is. I'm glad you got them all cleaned up and I hope they don't come back. I am unsure about Preen with pumpkins...I'm sorry, I am of no help, to you on this, lol.

I will say, weeds have been a bigger issue, for me, too, and I have no idea why they are so bad. I have a new kind of weed/plant/something green growing all over in my veggie/pumpkin garden that I haven't seen before, as well. I can't keep up with it. They just keep sprouting up all over every single day. I should let a few grow just to see what they are. There are so many of the same, unusual weed that I'd wonder if someone was sprinkling seeds in there every night!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
If anyone knows what this weed is, and how to stop it, I’d love to know.

After about five hours of pulling weeds by hand, placing the paper bags down, and running the rototiller after I got it fixed, it now looks so much better. I just worry about the weeds coming back. I didn’t have this problem last year.

Ive been thinking about sprinkling Preen in between the rows as well as using cut grass. I worry that the Preen could prevent the pumpkins from properly growing and need to research it some more. Anyone have an opinion on using Preen between the rows?
This is advice from a pretty lazy gardener who doesn't object to herbicides, mostly because I really haven't found any other way to kill blackberries and they're a huge problem in the Northwest. That said, I hand weed everyone of my raised beds and the entire pumpkin and corn field. I know for a fact that rototilling can create problems with weeds. I have a very specific weed that grows only in the areas I rototill. But I don't actually try to kill it off, I plan on it growing up. It's a broad leaf weed with shallow roots that I can either hoe or pull by hand easily. The thing is, it covers the ground nicely and keeps the water from evaporating when it's younger. As it grows up, it chokes out most of the other weeds I really don't like, such as thistles, which I don't like having to deal with. After it gets about six or seven inches high, I go in and chop and drop it, and it acts like fertilizer as it decomposes.

It's a choice everyone has to make when it comes to using herbicides. Do you want a perfect looking garden or one that has weeds, but perfectly wonderful vegetables despite the weeds? I err on the side that the fewer chemicals I use next to my food crops, the happier I will be. The weeds aren't particularly hard to deal with if I stay on top of weeding them out. (Pun intended) I will never have the Better Homes and Gardens type of garden. I just don't care enough to be that kind of gardener. But every year I eat more than enough of what I grow to be happy. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Things are looking good for you this year Col. Keep up the tail of the tape on Sunday’s for us. I know I enjoy seeing your progress.

I’m also glad to hear that WK had her first male flowers open! Hopefully the females won’t be far behind.

Ooojen, sorry to hear you had a female open, but no males were open. What are the chances of that?

I‘m right there with the others when it comes to growing more than I need to each year. Then I stress about getting them planted somewhere and end up having more than I can really take care of. My thought is to just plant as many as possible and hope that means I get more results. Maybe if I planted less I could space them out more and it would be easier to take care of.

Kdestra, sorry to hear about your corn. Not sure it would help, but maybe save whatever you grow this year. Then next year place this years ears out and let the chipmunks go to town on that. I had the same problem last year with the squirrels ravaging my corn.

Glad to hear you got your rototiller fixed chubstuff. I just got a new belt on mine today as well and it’s working again. After reading some information, I’m torn on using a tiller in the future. After getting a new tiller this year, and getting my ground to look great, I’ve been inundated with some kind of weed that I haven’t had in the past. I’ve read that tilling may be worse when it comes to weeds because when tilling, you may be spreading weed seeds into the soil, causing more weeds to sprout.

I haven’t had nearly enough time to properly take care of my crops this year. My garden is at my office, and took off work Thursday and Friday to get stuff done at home. I stopped by the office on Sunday and couldn’t believe how the weeds too over so quickly. I decided to spend the entire day weeding and putting down paper grocery bags around my plants in hopes of keeping the weeds down and let the plants get all of the water and fertilizer. I still have a long way to go but it’s a start. Here’s where I was this morning:
View attachment 731354
View attachment 731356

If anyone knows what this weed is, and how to stop it, I’d love to
Were soybeans ever planted in that field? It strangly looks like a hybrid type in Virginia. It grows vigorously. It can grow 3ft up to 5ft. I'm probably wrong but I've seen this plant.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Were soybeans ever planted in that field? It strangly looks like a hybrid type in Virginia. It grows vigorously. It can grow 3ft up to 5ft. I'm probably wrong but I've seen this plant.
Kdestra, if soybeans were planted there, it would have been at least 4 years ago.
I guess we can rule out poison oak for obvious reasons. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}.
It damn well better not be poison oak, or I’m in deep trouble!

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Well, 3/12 of the atlantic giant seeds have germinated via the baggy method, which is really low numbers compared to most varieties I've done in the past. Give them another day or two...I'm only planning on 4 plants this year, so really just need one more.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
HAPPY 10 DAP TO 1742A

My second pumpkin this season has reached 10 days after pollination without being culled. It has a circumference of 27 inches at 10 DAP. Ironically, this is the identical measurement that my 1742 pumpkin had last year.

Check out how nice and perpendicular the pumpkin is to the vine. Almost as if someone knew what they where doing when they put the bend in the main vine. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}.

Or they have flattened the learning curve. Every year I feel sorry for the first pumpkin because I forget to do things. But, then it all comes back for the later pumpkins.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do you ever find it strange when some seeds grow when others do not?
(I'm left scratching my head)
The window boxes have the same seeds, same dirt, same light, same watering, same zinnia flowers but only the box on the right has JBLs sprouting. I guess I'll move a few the little JBL sprouts from one window box to the other.
Btw - I bought new seeds because I didn't want a repeat of last year's seed mixup.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Mayor-- Your weed looks to me like some kind of amaranth (pigweed). There are a number of different species. They can produce 3,500 to 140,000 seeds PER PLANT, so it's easy to go from just a couple weeds to a whole garden full in no time.
As to the actually useful part, how to get rid of it, I don't know any easy way.
If there's any good part to it, they have one main taproot and aren't terribly hard to pull, AND they don't generally re-root and re-establish themselves if you till them in or pull them and leave them on the dirt.
The two weeds I seem to battle most are Portulaca and Galinsoga -- both of them succulent enough to root and grow from broken-off pieces. UGH!

I looked up PREEN. It has residual control, but it's a pre-emergent, so it shouldn't matter if your vines creep over into sprayed ground. The active ingredient is Trifluralin, which has low toxicity to mammals, bees, and birds. It's bad for amphibians and aquatic animals, though. If your patch is in an area with no runoff to water sources, it looks to me like it would be one of the better choices among herbicides.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mayor-- Your weed looks to me like some kind of amaranth (pigweed). There are a number of different species. They can produce 3,500 to 140,000 seeds PER PLANT, so it's easy to go from just a couple weeds to a whole garden full in no time.
As to the actually useful part, how to get rid of it, I don't know any easy way.
If there's any good part to it, they have one main taproot and aren't terribly hard to pull, AND they don't generally re-root and re-establish themselves if you till them in or pull them and leave them on the dirt.
The two weeds I seem to battle most are Portulaca and Galinsoga -- both of them succulent enough to root and grow from broken-off pieces. UGH!

I looked up PREEN. It has residual control, but it's a pre-emergent, so it shouldn't matter if your vines creep over into sprayed ground. The active ingredient is Trifluralin, which has low toxicity to mammals, bees, and birds. It's bad for amphibians and aquatic animals, though. If your patch is in an area with no runoff to water sources, it looks to me like it would be one of the better choices among herbicides.
Thanks for the info ooojen! I had no idea about the weed type, but it sounds like it can be controllable.

I did some research on the Preen and found the same information. The pumpkins should still grow just fine as long as I add the Preen after the plants have emerged from the seed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for the info ooojen! I had no idea about the weed type, but it sounds like it can be controllable.

I did some research on the Preen and found the same information. The pumpkins should still grow just fine as long as I add the Preen after the plants have emerged from the seed.
A lot of times when I want to wipe out a massive vine/weed mess I chop everything. Then I get a bunch of news paper or brown paper bags lay those on top of the area & cover with at least 3inches of mulch (I use free county mulch) I'll never use the weed fabrick again because weeds grew right through.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Kdestra, I got the same Harvest mini pumpkin mix of orange, white and striped. I'm waiting to see what I get out of the mix of my 6 plants. I'm hoping I get some of each!!

I don't know the names of my weeds...especially these new ones I have all over, this year...but I know most of them regrow if i don't pull up every single spec of the root with the weed. They tend to break instead of come up, fully, so they just keep coming back. It's exhausting. I'm just waiting for all my veggies and pumpkins to get bigger and drown out some of the weeds.

I am having a MASSIVE bug issue throughout my entire veggie garden and all my plants, flowers and shrubs in the whole yard! I don't know what's going on, but all the leaves and some of the flowers, even, are getting eaten. I have never had this happen so terribly and widespread. Plants that I've never had a single nibble on are being chowed down on, this year. I am not sure what's doing it. My poor Roses, Butterfly Bush, Sages (my poor white sage is almost gone) and, oddly, Jalapeno leaves are getting hit the worst! I've tried spraying my roses, but it doesn't seem to help, this year. I have noticed some tiny whiteflies, too, and...here's an odd one...Lighting Bugs are all over my veggie garden and flower garden during the day! Do they eat leaves and flowers? Has anyone else witnessed this? I'm used to seeing tons of them flying around in the evening, being all pretty and magical...but I have never, ever seen them all over my plants and flowers during the day. Just simply everywhere! We redid our front porch and I had to keep picking them up and moving them off the porch so they wouldn't get squished or glued to something. It was nuts! A plague of Lightning Bugs???? 2020 is just nuts...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
HAPPY 10 DAP TO 1742B

Today was my last set pumpkin to cross the 10 day after pollination threshold. It is the smallest at 21 inches in circumference which is 6 inches less than the 1742A. But it is bigger than the culled pumpkin from this plant which was like 19 inches after 15 days.

Who knows? This little guy might end up being my biggest, the most round, or my only orange pumpkin. Either way it is time to move on with what I have set. I will mention that it did add two inches to 23 inches from the official morning measurement of 21 inches.

JUNE 24TH 1742B 10 DAP

BONUS NUGGET

I could not help measuring my 1927 this evening which is at 17 DAP. It currently has a 58 inch circumference which is +14 inches from Sunday morning. The side to side was 44 inches (+9 inches) and the top to bottom was 43 inches (+10 inches). As a result the OTT total increased from 112 inches Sunday morning to 145 inches (+33 inches).

The old estimated weight on Sunday was 38.8 pounds and tonight's weight is 75.7 pounds. 75.7 pounds in 17 days. An increase of 36.9 pounds in 3.5 days or a daily increase rate of 10.5 pounds a day. 10.5 pounds a day. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}. I love growing giants for so many reasons and the stat part is just one of them.

Thank goodness I got the boards under all of my pumpkins on the 10th day. I cannot imagine how nerve racking it would be to tussle with a 75 pound pumpkin. I should be beyond the 100lb mark by this Sunday.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A lot of times when I want to wipe out a massive vine/weed mess I chop everything. Then I get a bunch of news paper or brown paper bags lay those on top of the area & cover with at least 3inches of mulch (I use free county mulch) I'll never use the weed fabrick again because weeds grew right through.
I did start putting down paper bags around the plants, but need to do more. I tried the fabric last year on my mounds, and you’re right, it didn’t do anything to keep the weeds away. They just grew up under the fabric and pushed it up in the air. For next year, I think I may try using a heavy duty black plastic row cover after forming my mounds.

·
Registered
246 Posts
HAPPY 10 DAP TO 1742B

Today was my last set pumpkin to cross the 10 day after pollination threshold. It is the smallest at 21 inches circumference which is 6 inches less than the 1742A. But it is bigger than the culled pumpkin from this plant which was like 19 inches after 15 days.

Who knows? This little guy might end up being the my biggest, the most round, or my only orange pumpkin. Either way it is time to move on with what I have set. I will mention that it did add two inches to 23 inches from the official morning measurement of 21 inches.

JUNE 24TH 1742B 10 DAP

View attachment 731428

BONUS NUGGET

I could not help measuring my 1927 this evening which is at 17 DAP. It currently has a 58 inch circumference which is +14 inches from Sunday morning. The side to side was 44 inches (+9 inches) and the top to bottom was 43 inches (+10 inches). As a result the OTT total increased from 112 inches Sunday morning to 145 inches (+33 inches).

The old estimated weight on Sunday was 38.8 pounds and tonight's weight is 75.7 pounds. 75.7 pounds in 17 days. An increase of 36.9 pounds in 3.5 days or a daily increase rate of 10.5 pounds a day. 10.5 pounds a day. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}. I love growing giants for so many reasons and the stat part is just one of the reasons.

Thank goodness I got the boards under all of my pumpkins on the 10th day. I cannot imagine how nerve racking it would be to tussle with a 75 pound pumpkin. I should be beyond the 100lb mark by this Sunday.
Wow! 75 pounds in 17 days is insane!!! If I was growing giants I’d end up measuring every day.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Wow! 75 pounds in 17 days is insane!!! If I was growing giants I’d end up measuring every day.
I think that is why I love giants so much is that it is more of a sport and sports lend themselves to measurable achievements. I know that growth is a steep bell curve and will start back down around forty days. It interesting that two years in a row that 27 inches in circumference was the best that I could do at 10 days old.

The next meaningful day is 20 days after pollination. The 1952 will be up for those measurements on Friday. Last year my best plant was at 68 inches circumference. I should be at the neighborhood again.

I am doing my best just to focus on competing with myself. It will be fun to develop a data set of growth measurements from pumpkins grown under my garden conditions.

321 - 340 of 388 Posts