Halloween Forum banner

301 - 320 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
@WitchyKitty
I understand catch and release - I coexist with spiders and always try to shoo bees and wasps out of the house. I have yet to catch a squash bug by hand, they move faster than I can get to them. Even if I were able to catch one, it would end up in a bucket of soapy water. I live too far in the country not to keep on them daily. I have leaf legged squash bugs (didn't know that's what they were until now) and they were a pest before I planted any cucurbits.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Fenced Garden Evolution
I am so thrilled to see your post. I took some pictures of my garden today and was just a bit concerned that my garden might look too big compared to the smaller gardens others have commented on. I am now very comfortable thinking my garden is far smaller than some in this group. But the best part of all of it, that no matter the size, I love watching the progress everyone is making on their gardens. This is one of the best groups on the forum for showing how things come together.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
@WitchyKitty
I understand catch and release - I coexist with spiders and always try to shoo bees and wasps out of the house. I have yet to catch a squash bug by hand, they move faster than I can get to them. Even if I were able to catch one, it would end up in a bucket of soapy water. I live too far in the country not to keep on them daily. I have leaf legged squash bugs (didn't know that's what they were until now) and they were a pest before I planted any cucurbits.
Sadly, squash bugs are one of those that must be taken care of or they get crazy out of hand really quickly. I hate doing it, but they destroy half my garden and multiply like crazy. I always try to catch and release, otherwise...or, some, like smaller spiders in the house that I know won't hurt the cats, I just let stay in the house. They are quite beneficial in dealing with other insects for me.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #304 (Edited)
So...I'm probably rushing things but I thought the JBLs would have sprouted in the window boxes by now. I'll give them to the end of the week & tuck in a few more seeds.
Ahhh.... I now have a place I can post a picture for you, Kdestra, as a suggestion. I didn't want to do it on your bog, because it doesn't seem to me to fit the nature of the blog to post someone else's work. However, here should be fine because it's all about making suggestions and helping others with their pumpkins. You mentioned in your blog that your "Hubby wants to attach skeletons to the second story window boxes this Halloween." Now it seems as if you're opting to use trailing pumpkins to fill out the window boxes. I saw this idea floating around the Net, and thought of what you're doing. There are certainly more artistic presentations that could be made, but at least in theory, window boxes and skeletons aren't anathema to each other. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ahhh.... I now have a place I can post a picture for you, Kdestra, as a suggestion. I didn't want to do it on your bog, because it doesn't seem to me to fit the nature of the blog to post someone else's work. However, here should be fine because it's all about making suggestions and helping others with their pumpkins. You mentioned in your blog that your "Hubby wants to attach skeletons to the second story window boxes this Halloween." Now it seems as if you're opting to use trailing pumpkins to fill out the window boxes. I saw this idea floating around the Net, and thought of what you're doing. There are certainly more artistic presentations that could be made, but at least in theory, window boxes and skeletons aren't anathema to each other. :)

View attachment 731183
Love it but I'm a bit more diabolical. You'll see .... muhahaaa

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sadly, squash bugs are one of those that must be taken care of or they get crazy out of hand really quickly. I hate doing it, but they destroy half my garden and multiply like crazy. I always try to catch and release, otherwise...or, some, like smaller spiders in the house that I know won't hurt the cats, I just let stay in the house. They are quite beneficial in dealing with other insects for me.
The furry family members also know they are not allowed to kill birds. So now birds sneak through the back door & steal cat food. We named this Robin "Catfood Robinhood" & that's Jr. Robinhood next to him. We have video of the continued thefts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Love it but I'm a bit more diabolical. You'll see .... muhahaaa
I never expected you to do anything so pedestrian. I just remember all those rules you had for your husband's project, and wanted to provide some moral support for the overall idea. I look forward to the seasons creepings.

Oh, and everyone who cares enough about our world to keep their cats from killing birds deserves a medal. Just saying. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I never expected you to do anything so pedestrian. I just remember all those rules you had for your husband's project, and wanted to provide some moral support for the overall idea. I look forward to the seasons creepings.
Oh yes, of course.. his whole goth life has been difficult with his wife

Attachments

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
The furry family members also know they are not allowed to kill birds. So now birds sneak through the back door & steal cat food. We named this Robin "Catfood Robinhood" & that's Jr. Robinhood next to him. We have video of the continued thefts
HAHAHAHA!! Catfood Robinhood and Jr. Robinhood...That's awesome. I needed that. I want birds to just walk into my house, too!!

My cats are indoor cats...they may try to seem like mighty hunters, but I'm not sure they'd know what to do if they ever came into live, close contact with a bird, chipmunk, mouse, ect. Lol. I would never let them try to catch or hurt another animal (animal and nature loving vegetarian, here), but I am curious as to what they would do. Their view of wild animals is "hunting" them through the window, especially Max...they are terrified of outside, though. We try to take them out...even tried leash training our little Ziva, which she liked for a bit but then we didn't get her outside for awhile and then she hated it when we tried, again. My husband will pick the cats up and carry them outside and hold them in a little ball like a baby close to him, but they don't always care for even that...sometimes they will be calm and let him hold them outside for a few minutes, other times they freak out. Nala...she actually screams the word "Nooooooooo!!!!" if you pick her up and even walk near a door. I kid you not, lol.

Lol, okay, I can talk about my cats all day...but back to pumpkins. (Unless y'all wanna keep talking about cats and birds...I'm cool with that, too, haha!)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I culled my 1742B last night which was set 13 days ago. It weighed in at 10 lbs which is not too shabby but it was half the size of my 1927 which was just a day older. Plus, I had a back-up going which is in a better vine position. So what do you do with a culled pumpkin, well you let your three year old roll it around the living room for entertainment. Charlie was not impressed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SUNDAY MORNING TALE OF THE TAPE

It is so much easier to do the Sunday Morning Tale of the Tape when you are excited about how the measurements are going to turn out. Culling a ten pound pumpkin that was not even two weeks old is much easier when you look over at the other plant that has a pumpkin one day older and see a pumpkin that is 25 lbs. Basically, in two weeks I have grown a regular size carving pumpkin.

My 1927 is officially at 15 days after pollination (15 DAP). When I mentioned this week that I needed to get a board under it at day 10, I was not kidding. I knew from experience that I could not wait much longer, but it still surprises me every year. At 10 DAP which was Tuesday, the pumpkin had a side to side measurement of 21 inches and and a top to bottom measurement of 21 inches. With an overall OTT of 42 inches.

Since Tuesday (5 days), the pumpkin has increased in size by sixty percent. The new side to side is 35 1/2 inches and the top to bottom is 33 inches. The percentage of growth will slow down at 20 days. It is my understanding that cell division stops around day 20 and from that point on the cells just get larger. Another reason to have our fertilization game dialed in at the beginning.

While the percentage of growth slows down, the number of inches on a daily basis of growth will pick up until around day 40. There should be a streak in there somewhere when the pumpkin is putting on 50 pounds or more per week. Of course, assuming that all goes well. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}.

My other two pumpkins turn 10 days old later this week so I will post pics of them on their special day.

JUNE 14TH (1952)

JUNE 21 (1952)

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,670 Posts
Very awesome, Col.!

I had my first male flower open, yesterday, on my Jarrahdale plant...though I missed it. I see a ton of baby males on all my pumpkin plants. I'll be more excited, though, when I start seeing females! Males are a start, though...they bring the bees to the garden!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is where I start to post too much. I could not help but put the numbers of the 1952 through the Giant Pumpkin calculator maintained by the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth (GPC). The GPC is the only worlwide pumpkin organization that sanctions weigh-offs and maintains official records used by the World Book of Guinness.

It used to be just a chart but now they have a calculator on their website. Here is the link:AG Pumpkin/Squash Weight | The Great Pumpkin Commonwealth . They also have one for field pumpkins which are akin to carving pumpkins: Field Pumpkin Weight | The Great Pumpkin Commonwealth.

On June 21, at 15 DAP, my 1952 had a side to side measurement of 35 inches, top to bottom of 33 inches, and and a circumference of 44 inches for an OTT of 112 inches. According to the calculator, my pumpkin has an estimated weight of 38.8 lbs. {Insert Smiling Pumpkin Emoji}. I was thinking 25, maybe 30. The ol' eyeball scale needs re-calibrating. {Insert Laughing Pumpkin Emoji}.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
I culled my 1742B last night which was set 13 days ago. It weighed in at 10 lbs which is not too shabby but it was half the size of my 1927 which was just a day older. Plus, I had a back-up going which is in a better vine position. So what do you do with a culled pumpkin, well you let your three year old roll it around the living room for entertainment. Charlie was not impressed.
I aspire to have my fully grown pumpkins look as large and well formed as your thirteen day old pumpkins. As I mentioned before, I have my bar set really low for good reason. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
WK - Wild birds flock to me 🎃

Col. - very impressive! Not even a single flower here.

2 tiny sprouts in the window boxes so I planted more JBLs.
The old Crown of Thorn seeds are taking off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Very impressive, Colonel! It's always fun to watch the development of your giants! This one looks like a beauty in the making!

I had my first female flower open yesterday...but wouldn't you know it? No males. I had thought there was going to be one of each, but the male was a day behind. The good news is that I had another female flower open today, and there were 3 males of the same species. :)
I really only have one plant that I'd say is doing well (healthy-looking leaves, running). It looks like it should start blooming some time this week.

Chubstuff-- I'm hoping you're going to be a good influence on me. I have a little niggling bit of rational thought that tells me I don't need more pumpkins than I can even give away, and that I'd probably enjoy my summer more if I didn't feel compelled haul my rear out there at dusk to cover tomorrow's flowers, then get up at 5 am to rush out, pollinate, and cover the females. If I could get, say, 3 fruits to set on each plant and then let the beetles eat the rest, I'd like to think it would be less stressful...maybe.
It seems like the smart thing to do would be to put in just 3 or 4 plants...but I do love the variety of different shapes, sizes, and colors.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Chipmunks have wiped out my 2nd corn planting. So I wrapped more chicken wire around the frame & replanted. The first planting is growing great & I just need enough for 2 separate porch arrangements.

Attachments

301 - 320 of 388 Posts