Halloween Forum banner

2020 pumpkin growers thread

36K views 915 replies 36 participants last post by  Kdestra 
#1 ·
Here we go again. All those with brave hearts and green thumbs climb on board for the 2020 pumpkin growers thread. Here we can discuss anything about our endeavors to grow pumpkins for the Halloween season. From the tiny mini-pumpkins to those tipping the scales at a ton, no pumpkin is out of bounds for discussion. Even some squashes and gourds are fair game to talk about. If you care about it, there's probably someone else who does as well.

If you're new to growing pumpkins, there are some regulars who are more than happy to give advice. If you're a seasoned veteran, you'll have kindred souls ready to share your success and those times when you need to commiserate over the ones that fell to the armies of critters that love eating pumpkins before we even get a chance to pick them. And of course, this is where you go to post pictures of your pumpkins for an appreciative audience. Show their little sprouts popping up, show the vines growing. Show them as they're ripening. And show them when they're out on display in all their Halloween glory.

So, regardless of where on the pumpkin growing spectrum you are, feel welcome and encouraged to post your thoughts and pictures. This is one of the most active threads on Halloween Forum for good reason. Gardeners love to share their knowledge, their frustrations, but mostly their triumphs to create from a tiny seed something amazing. Come on, dive in, and be a part of it all. Growing season is sooner than you think.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks, Kdestra. I wish I lived in a climate that I could just plant it in the ground and it's good every year...but with days like we are having, now, where the wind chills will be getting to -20 or so, it just isn't possible.

I'm going to just use seeds I already have, too, I think. After last years squash bug nightmare, I was considering taking a year off to get rid of some of them...but I know, as said above, that come Spring I'll be itching to get those seeds started, anyway, lol.

I am so ready for growing season when I look out my windows and see snow and ice everywhere, dark skies, that frigid wind starting to pick up and frozen rain stuck to my windows...blah...

#17 ·
The 4 big moose pumpkins.

We had a miserable fall for pumpkins, with hard freezes the entire week leading up to Halloween. I ended up bringing these inside. The three smaller ones were carved and out on the 30th, and froze solid. Funny thing about frozen solid pumpkins is they get a little translucent, so the whole thing glows as opposed to the largest one here that my son carved day of.

Anyway, overall review of Big Moose now that we have cracked them open and carved them:

Advertised size of 100-150lb seems accurate. Without trying or any special watering/fertilizing, 2 within this range, and one at 80 lb out of 4 plants.

1 plant never set a single pumpkin. The other 3 all set at least 2. (trimming off the second pumpkins should lead to bigger pumpkins)

Seemed fairly powdery mildew resistant.
Fairly sensitive to temps over 100 degrees, needed a shade built.
Aggressive with secondary roots along the vines, and survived several vines getting crushed by people walking on them.
Late season setting (late august-sept) pumpkins did not have good surviving rates.

about 4" thick walls, great for carving and sculpting. SUPER EASY cleaning. Flesh smelled rather similar to cantaloupe.

Did not roast seeds or taste.

Definitely going to try again next year assuming I can find seeds.
After going through my seed catalogs and reviewing the down sides to this variety, the need to build it a shade canopy, I'm debating with going with a grab bag seed mix "World of Color"

Listed as 50-100 lb size ratio, this would put it in league with the two smaller big moose pumpkins above. I know this mix has been around for quite a while, anyone have any experience with it?

There's also always atlantic giants that do well with the weather here, but you sometimes get amorphous blobs for shape. The way I grow, though, without any of the special attention needed to get truly huge sizes, that risk is somewhat mitigated.

Big Max pumpkins advertise 100lb+ which would put them in the same ballpark as Big Moose, but they don't seem to keep their shape as well from what I can find...

Trying to decide if I even bother with gourds this year. 10 years, never a single gourd...

#18 ·
After going through my seed catalogs and reviewing the down sides to this variety, the need to build it a shade canopy, I'm debating with going with a grab bag seed mix "World of Color"

Listed as 50-100 lb size ratio, this would put it in league with the two smaller big moose pumpkins above. I know this mix has been around for quite a while, anyone have any experience with it?

There's also always atlantic giants that do well with the weather here, but you sometimes get amorphous blobs for shape. The way I grow, though, without any of the special attention needed to get truly huge sizes, that risk is somewhat mitigated.

Big Max pumpkins advertise 100lb+ which would put them in the same ballpark as Big Moose, but they don't seem to keep their shape as well from what I can find...

Trying to decide if I even bother with gourds this year. 10 years, never a single gourd...
Those are beautiful. How much water do you think they need? The drought of 2019 was bad for us in the Mid/North East.

#19 ·
I'm going to assume they need some hefty watering to get their size, like most of the giant varieties. There is a "small world of color" mix that is more typical Jack sizes, though.

#20 ·
I'd forgotten I'd ordered these from Amazon until I went to do a return on Amazon. Never grown them before so we'll see how it goes this year. Anyone here done them before?

Hoping to grow some birdhouse gourds this year too. We've got some major garden overhauling to do this year so it may or may not happen, but I'm hoping to get a real garden going this year.

Japanese Black Pumpkin

#24 ·
Having great success (maybe to much) with my old 2018 seeds.
All of the Crown of Thorns seeds germinated. If you all lived closer I'd love to share some of the sprouts.
Will you be able to plant your sprouts any time soon or do you grow them indoors? I got a small greenhouse that I need to assemble but it's too wet and windy right now. I have enough work to do securing the trash cans in these wind storms ? I know trying to grow anything indoors is a lost cause due to a particular feline (I'm looking at you Bandit!)

There are so many interesting and unique pumpkins and gourds out there! Do y'all have better luck buying seeds online or finding them locally? I have only seen Jack o'lantern, JBL and Casper varieties around here.

#28 ·
I won't see warm enough temps to plant pumpkins and such until late May...
In two or three months, if the ground thaws enough and winter doesn't hang on, I can start stuff like carrots and such, but that's about it.
I agree, we always get a "teaser Spring", too...it never lasts long and makes our Spring fever even worse! I have had it mess up the in ground plants and shrubs, too, where they think Spring it starting, start to leaf/bud for the year and the freezing cold comes back and damages things. Ug.

#34 ·
@chubstuff - my hubby was born near Phoenix & spent a lot of time in the Superstition Mountains. He told me about the intense heat. I'm very curious about that area & would love to hike there.

We bought cilantro and found this vine mixed in. I'm pretty sure its Bind Weed. It was promptly returned to grocery store. I can't wait until my cilantro seedlings grow.

Not much to report except another JBL died - only 1 left. I think I'm tossing the rest of the old seeds into compost.

Attachments

#37 ·
I guess we all have to work with the climate we have. Some of us were lucky enough to move to the areas we prefer, but the pumpkins are fickle critters that seem to laugh at our efforts to make an environment where they will grow optimally. But every now and then we find that special year where it all comes together and the pumpkins we put out are ones we're proud to show off come Halloween night. The pumpkins win no matter what. They always win. :)

#39 ·
Well, ended up going with Dill's Atlantic Giants largely because the websites selling that world of color were giving me trouble.

My Uncle grew these for years, so I know they handle the weather fine, and they didn't get too terribly massive with his lazy method of growing. I'm going to try them in something of a 3 sisters arrangement.

#125 ·
Well, ended up going with Dill's Atlantic Giants largely because the websites selling that world of color were giving me trouble.

My Uncle grew these for years, so I know they handle the weather fine, and they didn't get too terribly massive with his lazy method of growing. I'm going to try them in something of a 3 sisters arrangement.
Starting the corn of the three sisters this weekend. Ideally it will grow well enough to eat, but should make good decor if not.

#42 ·
I just moved from Arizona (Phoenix suburb) where I was fighting extreme heat (with minimal success) to Southern Minnesota. I have almost an acre of land here so I just ordered a bunch of seeds from Burpee.com of varieties that I always wanted to try to grow.

Jack Be Little - For a container on the porch

Jarrahdale

Musquee de Provence

Rouge Vif d'Etampes

Big Max

Plus some seeds for corn (I want the stalks!)

Does anyone in the upper midwest have tips for growing things in a place that actually has weather?

#46 ·
I just moved from Arizona (Phoenix suburb) where I was fighting extreme heat (with minimal success) to Southern Minnesota. I have almost an acre of land here so I just ordered a bunch of seeds from Burpee.com of varieties that I always wanted to try to grow.

Jack Be Little - For a container on the porch

Jarrahdale

Musquee de Provence

Rouge Vif d'Etampes

Big Max

Plus some seeds for corn (I want the stalks!)

Does anyone in the upper midwest have tips for growing things in a place that actually has weather?
Best of luck in your new ??? garden.
It's been raining here nearly every day.

#44 ·
We're sorta the opposite here in MD right now. It's been in the 50s & 60s, lots of rain though. My chrysanthemums are putting out new growth, my chives are coming up, I didn't lose my rosemary yet, but Sunday there's supposed to be a big cold front coming in.

I want a REAL winter again, if for no other reason than to kill off the bad bugs. We need to freeze those stink bugs, fleas, ticks & skeeters to death!!

The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang just posted about our winter weather here so far:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/02/12/global-warming-is-nudging-washingtons-climate-southward-this-winter-it-most-resembles-atlanta/
Global warming is making Washington’s climate more

Consider this winter a preview of the region’s future

Since the winter solstice on Dec. 21, Washington’s weather has taken an excursion toward a far more southern clime. With an average high temperature of 54 degrees, the weather has best matched the typical winter conditions in Atlanta.

Because of human-induced climate warming, winters like this — characterized by a lack of extreme cold and spotty snowfall — may become the norm this century.

Multiple studies have projected that the climate of the Mid-Atlantic region will turn more southern over the coming decades. This means shorter winters with far less bite.

From a practical standpoint, you may find yourself needing heavy coats, scarves and hats far less, and hitting the golf links rather than the ski slopes.

This winter is merely a sneak preview; it is tied strongly to a weather pattern in the Arctic, which is preventing frigid air from escaping the northern latitudes, as well as to long-term climate change.

Of the past 54 days, 45 have been milder than average. On a stretch from December into January, 17 days in a row were milder than normal. Through Wednesday, we have seen a streak of 20 consecutive mild days.

Extreme cold has been notably absent. For only the fourth time so late in the season, we’ve yet to see freezing temperatures for an entire calendar day.

Just like a typical winter in Atlanta
Data analysis from the Southeast Regional Climate Center shows a striking match between this year’s weather in Washington and typical winter conditions in Atlanta. That city’s average winter high and low temperatures are 54 and 36 degrees, which is exactly what Washington has seen since the solstice.

Washington’s 0.6 inches of snowfall is also close to Atlanta’s average snow of just over an inch.
No offense to Atlanta but if I wanted that type of winter, I'd move to Atlanta & I don't wanna move to Atlanta. I need my seasons to be 4 distinct seasons & this just isn't working for me.

I'd like ONE GOOD SNOWSTORM this winter. There's always March......sigh

#55 ·
The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang just posted about our winter weather here so far:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/02/12/global-warming-is-nudging-washingtons-climate-southward-this-winter-it-most-resembles-atlanta/

No offense to Atlanta but if I wanted that type of winter, I'd move to Atlanta & I don't wanna move to Atlanta. I need my seasons to be 4 distinct seasons & this just isn't working for me.

I'd like ONE GOOD SNOWSTORM this winter. There's always March......sigh
We live in Oregon, and we're noticing the same trend. Over the last 30 years we came to depend on certain yearly occurrences with cold frosts that lasted a few weeks and very little snow. It made it tough on perennials, but we knew how to deal with it. On the plus side it killed off mosquitoes and yellow jackets, the two banes of summer existence up in our neck of the woods.

That said, warmer winters also bring potential disaster for those of us who grow pumpkins up North. We have droughts far more frequently due to the decrease in snow in our mountains. And we may have to deal with the South's dreaded Squash Vine Borer if things keep getting warmer across the country. SVB is blocked from migrating North where the winters get too cold, but as the weather warms, those pesky critters can make that migration and overwinter the way they do down South.

A number of people say warmer weather sounds great, thinking it all sounds fun to have a few more warm days in summer. But our ecosystem relies on those cold spells to protect our plants, both native and agricultural. I am like RCIAG. I don't want Southern temperatures. I moved North to get away from Arizona temperatures. I don't want them following me up here.

I also don't want the SVBs, fireants, and all other manner of obnoxious vermin making their way up here. But it may be something we have to deal with. The weather is already warming up to be another record year of mosquitoes and yellow jackets that overwintered without a single good frost last year. And since the summers aren't particularly sunny, we still struggle to get decent looking pumpkins. The warmer weather only brings the mildew on a bit earlier in the season. Sigh... I wonder how Alaska is fairing with their winter weather.

#45 ·
We just got snowed on last night and this morning...and the temps are dropping quickly. It's currently 16 degrees with a -2 wind chill, and by tomorrow morning it will be 1 degree with a wind chill of around -10. Brrrrr.

I'm itching to start pumpkins and gourds!!! I'm still just making do with starting herbs, cat grass and peppers in my little basement greenhouse. Ahhh, I am soooooo jealous of those of you who can start warmer weather seeds, already!!!!! At least my cats are happy, getting to mow their tiny potted lawns every few days, hahaha...

#47 ·
We just got snowed on last night and this morning...and the temps are dropping quickly. It's currently 16 degrees with a -2 wind chill, and by tomorrow morning it will be 1 degree with a wind chill of around -10. Brrrrr.

I'm itching to start pumpkins and gourds!!! I'm still just making do with starting herbs, cat grass and peppers in my little basement greenhouse. Ahhh, I am soooooo jealous of those of you who can start warmer weather seeds, already!!!!! At least my cats are happy, getting to mow their tiny potted lawns every few days, hahaha...
Like @RCIAG said: Its non stop rain here. It may be warmer but it sure isn't productive. Honestly it's a bit disheartening

#48 ·
I just wanted to check in with everyone and keep our thread closer to the top so we don't lose it.
Everyone has been so quiet!
I know it's still too early for me to start pumpkins and gourds, but I do have tiny hot peppers and white sage babies coming up in my greenhouse, now. The first round of peppers I planted didn't germinate...the seeds must've finally gotten too old. I think they were about 4 years old. I grabbed a couple new packets, so far...the Jalapenos are doing good, still waiting on my Cayennes...they take a bit longer to germinate. My White Sage is struggling. It's a very hard herb to grow over here where it's cold, and prefers to be direct sown rather than in seed pots in the greenhouse...but since the growing season for White Sage is so short, here, as it needs heat, I always try, at least, to start some indoors to see if I can get any a head start. I usually just end up waiting until late Spring and direct sowing, though, and just getting smaller plants.

I wish my area sold Baby Boos mini white pumpkins...or the striped mini ones...but I can only find them in mix packs, so I wouldn't know what I would actually get. I really should use up some of the leftover seeds I still have, anyway, before they finally get too old. I'm still deciding if we are going to redesign the veggie garden bed a little or not...

If it would just stop snowing and warm up, a little, already!!!

#49 ·
I wish my area sold Baby Boos mini white pumpkins...or the striped mini ones...but I can only find them in mix packs, so I wouldn't know what I would actually get. I really should use up some of the leftover seeds I still have, anyway, before they finally get too old. I'm still deciding if we are going to redesign the veggie garden bed a little or not...

If it would just stop snowing and warm up, a little, already!!!
I'll check my extension office & see what they have. They give last year's seeds away for free. If they don't have any, I can buy a few packs & we can split them. Let me know if you're interested.

#50 · (Edited)
Took a few quick photos:

1. JBLs - 3 left & they don't look good
2. Crown of Thorns ~ gourds. Healthy & strong
3. Black Cherry Tomatoes

Btw. I started a garden blog because I don't feel right about posting non-pumpkin photos on here. You all are more then welcome to post garden pictures (and pets) ????

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.