Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all, Dawnski here. For longtime followers you know the hubby restricts me to a Halloween party every other year. I go way overboard and my family hates living in a haunted house for several months. I am unleashed for 2020! We have moved to a bigger home and I am excited to see where these rooms take me in regards to whole house Halloween decorating.

This thread is my prop building diary. I'll share what I'm working on and you can follow along and tell me how I'm doing. Today I want to share my ideas. If you saw the movie Ready Player One, that's kind of how I want to do our house. Everywhere you go will be some kind of 80s movie/pop culture reference.

Living Room - Beetlejuice waiting room with the magician's assistant and probably the shrunken head guy
2nd Living Room (we've turned our dining room into a separate entertaining area) - Ghostbusters with Slimer in our chandelier and some ghosts
Kitchen/Sunroom - Goonies and Indiana Jones, hoping to have One Eyed Willie and the fertility idol in these rooms
Family Room - This is a big open area with arches all around it. I want to seal up the room in black tarp and turn this into a homage to 80s horror including Friday the 13th, Evil Dead, Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street. Kind of an in-house haunt. I've done this type of set up in our garage previously so it will be a luxury to have it inside the house. But maybe not so much for the family, bwahaha!
Powder Room - Take on Me music video
Basement - Caddyshack bar and 80s sci-fi and sci-fi horror. I plan to have areas dedicated to John Carpenter's The Thing and Halloween. I want to recreate the couch scene with the petri dishes. I also have other areas for Back to the Future, Terminator, Aliens and Blade Runner.
Not sure yet but I also might tie in Stranger Things and It as they were based on the 80s. I feel the Demogorgon is at home in the same world as the xenomorph and Thing creature. Scattered throughout will be Stephen King references of The Shining, Salem's Lot and Creepshow. Tons more smaller references if I can fit them in. Thanks in advance for your support and advice!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, what a fantastic list of ideas, Dawnski! Please keep us posted on your projects with photos or videos. I would love to see everything. Congrats on your new house!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turning a little hanging vampire into one of the Glick boys from Salem's Lot. You know the scene I'm talking about. The little vampire boy who floats up to his brother's window and wants to be let in. I have French doors in my office and I want to put him there. It would be cool if I could give him some movement but I'm not sure how to achieve that. Not mechanically inclined for prop motors. I'll have black material blocking the view of the office from behind. This is my only '70s (1979) reference at my party but only cause it has scarred for life any kid who grew up in the 80s.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Turning a little hanging vampire into one of the Glick boys from Salem's Lot. You know the scene I'm talking about. The little vampire boy who floats up to his brother's window and wants to be let in. I have French doors in my office and I want to put him there. It would be cool if I could give him some movement but I'm not sure how to achieve that. Not mechanically inclined for prop motors.
You have a few months before the big party, so maybe taking a look at flying crank ghosts, or FCGs, might be worth your while. Depending on your budget, you can spend quite a bit and get the whole prop ready to put together, or you can make it yourself. They really are amazing little creations, and your prop looks as if it's light weight enough to be converted quite easily into a FCG. It would really amp up the effect exponentially.

Here's a few examples of what others have done. I bypassed the instructional aspects of the video just to let you see how great they look. Just think what your little vampire would look like floating in air like these ghosts. (Need help? Check out your local area to see if they have a haunter's association. There are people out there who are eager to help folks just dipping their toes into the haunting waters for the first time.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts