Halloween Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Can you explain to me how the "Brexit" fallout will affect you? I am located in the States.......just curious. Thanks.
Well my heart meds supply will be effected, maybe stopped for good which will be a disaster for me as the purely UK made version gives me terrible side effects. Without them I'll die pretty quickly. Also prices will go up all across the board, gas, electric, some foods, you name it. All because David Cameron was arrogant enough to think everybody thought like him and people wouldn't dream of voting out. :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
Well my heart meds supply will be effected, maybe stopped for good which will be a disaster for me as the purely UK made version gives me terrible side effects. Without them I'll die pretty quickly. Also prices will go up all across the board, gas, electric, some foods, you name it. All because David Cameron was arrogant enough to think everybody thought like him and people wouldn't dream of voting out. :(
Yikes!!! Sounds disastrous. I'm sorry to hear of what may lie ahead as far as your health and available medicine. I work in health care so I know how important medications are to maintain ones life. I pray everything works out for your and your country.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi folks. Have tk maxx/ homesense got their stuff out yet? They have in previous years, but don't fancy a 2 he drive for nothing. Grateful for info 🎃

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's still pretty early days for UK stores. I know my local Range doesn't do their full display until we're into October. At the moment, they've just got some stuff out in a rather haphazard fashion. Same with B&M, who seem to move their stuff about on a weekly basis.

TK Maxx does have some stuff on display at the moment. Couldn't tell you about Homesense, though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yikes!!! Sounds disastrous. I'm sorry to hear of what may lie ahead as far as your health and available medicine. I work in health care so I know how important medications are to maintain ones life. I pray everything works out for your and your country.
Well our hideous leader isn't getting all his own way at the moment, so I have a glimmer of hope. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
You got a really good effect with the paper and paint @simple, real branches will definitely bring it to life, I look forward to seeing it completed. As for my tree stump, it didn't really turn out with the bark effect, I spent too much on it to quit. I have since made a log and had a better result. I will eventually add a hanging wooden sign. Its a lesson learned not to be impatient lol

tree.jpg

Here are some instore videos which show various props in action. Credit to the video creators.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Evening all,
@turnip_lantern, TK Max were starting to put stuff out a while ago (see mine and others posts previously) although I haven't been in since. The Range near us were also starting to put stuff out although it's only a small store. B & M last Sunday were also starting to put stuff on the shelves, it looked the same stuff as previous years although the ghost projector what Batley mentioned is new but I've also not seen it working yet, it's a pity the gravestones have shrunk though!!

Batley, your tree trunk looks great! Get that sign done and let us see it! :D

:eek:@Silver Spike, I'm sorry to hear of your situation, I really hope Brexit doesn't affect you to that extent. Personally I can't be doing with politics, the lunatics have taken over the asylum, it's just which lunatics! All prices will go up whether we're in or out, it's just a matter of how much!

Anyway, back to Halloween (scary enough!), here's a few shots of my Creep, all based on variations of the Devil's Chariot one and others. After a lot of messing I got the head movement pretty good now so I can start doing the bones, fire, coverings etc now - and find a stirring stick!

Wiper motor mounted on a sheet of perspex:

Now mounted in a cauldron, OK a planter from B&Q!

Here wired up to a speed controller mounted on the side and an old 12V laptop power supply.

Here's the basic Creep made from PVC plumbing pipe and joints:

Here's a closeup of the head motor and speed controller running off a 9V battery for now:

Lastly here's a video of the head movement which I'm really pleased with!
Cauldron Creep head movement

·
Registered
306 Posts
woah,! excellent job @Daveferatu, you definitely nailed the movement (y)

Update:

I visited Wilko this afternoon and where the Halloween stock is usually located, there's an aisle full of Christmas confectionary. Home Bargains is the same here, though it is a smaller store.

8 weekends left, including this one... apart from a DIY dalek-esque tree stump I haven't organised much else, better get to it o_O

Still looking for something different for the ToTers and still wanting a CF machine :unsure:

(I do miss the pumpkin emoticons)

I hope your plans are coming along :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our wilkos is same too nothing at the moment ?? But they do have stock online as I ordered a couple.of bits into store

Local range looks poor this time too and bandm looked like they had.more.to put out as they left a bit of space

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
^Interesting! I was looking at that projector but thinking about buying it after Halloween (if there are any left in the Wakefield Store that is)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I didn't know they sold Halloween, great news. Those air blown inflatables are expensive, though it reminded me to search for the black cat again which I found here for £18.99 (use aosom11 for 11% off).

I haven't used that site until today, but it seems legit from Trustpilot + they accept PayPal

Another site with a bigger range. They don't accept Paypal unfortunately but again, okay reviews on Trustpilot.

I'm not a big fan of inflatables as the cartoon look stands out amongst props but seems as they're weather proof? and almost no setup required, I think they're the perfect decorations to keep out all of October, which is what I'm going to do for a change. Then on the 31st switch to the good props lol

Edit: I rewrote post as it looked messy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi all,
just a quick update . . .
We called in to our TK Max and they had a few more things in since last time we were in, mainly the 2 big items below, the butler (just short of £100 :eek: !!) and the witches broom stand (£60) which we think is cool! That'd be good if it's in the sales - we can only hope! :)

Made a bit more progress on my Creep, I've done his arms and heat gun'd his fingers to wrap around the stick, the thing was I found he was leering over too much and was banging his head with the stick each time he stirred (masochist!)!! So I had to raise him up a little so he's a bit more upright. Trouble was his head movement was all out (like he was trying to look over a wall :D ) so I had to redo the linkage, position of the motor etc, he's now something like back to how he was now, also with a new head with jaw courtesy of Quality Save for £3.
Latest video here

·
Registered
306 Posts
@Daveferatu the movement looks realistic, gonna look so good when you're finished.

Happy to see larger Halloween items this side of the Atlantic, thanks for the pics

@bongobill yup. There's still Asda/Argos to come but as for the latter I doubt theyll bring much out considering their sale last year to clear stock was 70% off and £5 off £10 spend iirc.

I regret not buying the large Costco spider last year now.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts
About this Discussion
185 Replies
24 Participants
Spookie pookie
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing