Halloween Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi guys,

Quick question for you UK builders, where do you get your motors from i.e windscreen wiper motors or alike (cheap but powerful?)
Hi @Taddy,
after scouring around Ebay and second hand ones going for £10 upwards, also with cheap pattern chinese ones with 2 weeks upwards shipping I went for this one from Car Spares-Direct which is a pattern one from a UK supplier for £16.90 (for a Vauxhall Corsa) and free postage which I received in 2 days. I got stuck in to the Cauldron Creep this last weekend and so wired it up to a 10A speed controller (overkill but I played safe, was only about £3.50) and an old laptop supply.
The shaft is tapered splines with a nut on the end, I thought I'd have to file flats on it but I fitted a washer which grips on the splines and the bolt clamped my aluminium arm fine.

I've also used a couple of geared small motors like this 12V 12rpm one which have worked fine as long as you don't load them too much - I used one for my grave digger last year which was fine (see my photos from last year).
Will hopefully post some piccys later of my Creep.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Tulle arrived. It wasn't the fabric that I was looking for, though I'll still be able to use it.

Having gone into B&M for a closer look at the props, I think the material is just the same as the disposable cloths you get for wiping kitchen surfaces. Like these.

Also grabbed a load of 'Spooky material' as you can't really have enough of that as well as some mini skeletons and a bag of assorted bones.

The mini skeletons are from the pound shop and will become fairy corpses and who knows what I'll do with the bag of bones but I'm sure I'll think of something.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, Brex:poop: is definitely a mood killer, with all the uncertainty I don't think I can justify buying much this year, dispite saving all year. For now, the plans are on pause which is a shame as this is my last year of decorating outside.

Update:

Argos have updated their Halloween images and so stock should be appearing soon. Hopefully there will be more than shown here, especially larger props.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Poundland full line avaliable from October 1st, no doubt mostly only all their unsold stock from previous years

Wilko now avaliable online. Slim pickings unfortunately, highest priced prop is the returning hanging skeleton for £15. Nothing new worth a mention.

I did expect a poor line up from most retailers due to the B word.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well thats bloody depressing. :( The Range aren't putting their new stuff out online yet either. I suspect (and they are probably right) that most people will be too scared to spend much on frivolous things due to events in Parliament. It hasn't curbed me I'm afraid. LOL

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not to go off into one, but this is the first year that I'm dreading Halloween, because of the bloody Brexit fallout. It's already ruined it for me sadly. :(
Can you explain to me how the "Brexit" fallout will affect you? I am located in the States.......just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Can you explain to me how the "Brexit" fallout will affect you? I am located in the States.......just curious. Thanks.
It's all about how imports/exports change from EU countries - price changes if raw materials go up, shortages of things like pharmaceuticals etc. The thing is no-one has ever done this before so no-one really knows what will happen. The UK is the first country to leave the EU ever so we are the test subject in a bizarre kind of way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope I can get this to look more like a tree eventually. Hand-held expanding foam is harder to use than I thought it would be lol, I was going to buy a sandwich board but thought at 11pm a tree stump sign holder would look better and here it is, attempt #1, my DIY skills are still at Blue Peter level :) View attachment 716795
hows the tree coming along .... I have been making one but without xpanding foam I just used brown paper and painted it with black latex at the minute to give it the bark look i still have to work on it it currently stands 7ft tall i also have a smaller one too they will have arms probably real branches and some led lights at some point

Attachments

141 - 160 of 186 Posts
About this Discussion
185 Replies
24 Participants
Spookie pookie
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing