Halloween Forum banner

481 - 500 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Khanidge - love the columns and the candles and the tree. You have the problem of not being able to bang anything into the ground for safety wires because of the tarmac. Strong wind forecasts must give you sleepless nights close to Halloween.

Everyone has done brilliantly this year - even those who got a bit p****d off due to problems and issues (you know who you are). Keep plugging away guys.
Blimey! I Really need to up my game for next Year. You lot have done an outstanding job.
I'll add a few pics of mine, probably a little late, but there may be a few of you still about.
Sorry if I've added double pics but it ain't that easy from my phone lol 😁 View attachment 725872 View attachment 725872 View attachment 725873 View attachment 725874 View attachment 725875 View attachment 725876 View attachment 725877 View attachment 725878 View attachment 725879 View attachment 725881 View attachment 725882
YOU done well m8 and i know how you feel as i have a tarmac driveway as well and its on a slant so my graveyard fence posts all had to be cut individually to suit the different angled parts of the drive and were made to measure for where on the drive they went no two would ever fit anywhere but on that particular part of the drive at that certain angle , full credit as the height of your columns would have worried me , i think i told you older forum members about the kid who put all there weight on my fence just before i packed up one Halloween about 5 years ago and the lot went over with the kid , i thought crap here comes a law suit but full credit to the parents there just admonished there kid in a playful way and apologised to me for the chaos , pheeeww so again full credy khanidge from me also m8.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi all,
yet again I'm enjoying all your photos and videos, totally brilliant!! Loving all the ideas and setups (and giving us all more ideas for next year no doubt!).
Totally agree @pacman we are quite likely never 100% satisfied with our setups but it's what the victi, sorry Trick or Treaters think and appreciate of our displays that matter - and that's the really satisfying part of it, for example we've been in our house for 8 years now and people say to us they love our display and look forward to seeing it each year, that is really satisfying and appreciated (and that we collected £90 for Cancer Research just by posting a notice on our door in passing!!).
We are making great memories!!
NOTE: it's a Leap year next year and Halloween is on A SATURDAY, thinking caps are on!!

Anyway here's some shots of our humble (after seeing all yours!) display and a few vids.
View attachment 725934
Pennywise idea pinched off @pacman a few years ago!
View attachment 725935
View attachment 725936
View attachment 725937
Argos bat is HUGE! Also our creepy pram.
View attachment 725938
and with it's resident!
View attachment 725939
View attachment 725940
View attachment 725943
View attachment 725942
Downstairs loo!

Now some vids:
Daytime view . . .

Night view with window projections . . .

Some more Atmosfear FX Gathering Ghouls and Phantasms Siren projections . . .

Zombie Atmosfear projection . . .
Daveferatu top notch decorations as always my friend , i so love your graveyard creep , hes still my favorite of you animated ghouls m8 and bloody hell thanks for pointing out the obvious mistake i made being its a LEAP YEAR next year so HALLOWEEN is on the Saturday instead of the Friday , oh crap double the pressure then lol , i am seriously going to start researching and designing for next year NOW as my missus and kids have actually said a few times now they actually miss me not doing the whole yard thing , so i want to come back with a kick arse walk through after seeing so many great ideas and setups this year on the forum , again i apologize if i haven't commented on every single post as we used to when there was a small cadre of us on here but because we have grown so fast especially this year and i only get slight chance to get on the forum after i checked work stuff i just haven't had time hence again a big well done to old friends and new , its been a joy reading and watching and looking at all your work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Incredible work everyone. really appreciate the videos which is an added effort in itself, really great to see your displays come to life.

@Nick Nick you really go above and beyond with your setup, extremely cool, thanks for filming it all

@EPD love the sitting scarecrow prop, how cool. And the raining effect red lighting. The colours of lighting you used all blend together well, looks so cool.

@Khanidge Happy to see the tree and floating candles again and I agree, the columns are incredible

@Daveferatu Excellent work inside and out, love the reaper, pennywise and the living room/fireplace scene. Sucks about the fog machine but he looks incredible with out it. Yeah, I bought those lights too. I didn't get time to set them up how I wanted on the night but I was pleased when I tried them originally

I received my asda sale order and I'm happy I got the skelly dog now as I have a nice treat for it, whilst taking down the skellies one of them lost a leg! On reflection I won't have a hiatus next year, I will just simplify. I will stay away from expensive animated props as well, lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No doubt @pacman, especially with you resuming your display, will definitely be hard to resist due to insprtation lol. I will definitely learn from this year tho, well I hope I do.

The Hermes man commented he loved the display today, little things like that are very motivating

And great news, I have been refunded for the dragon!! 👍

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i used to be terrible with my Halloween budget Batley look at my old setups , spider victims , alongside coffins alongside mannequins , i think as i got bit older and wiser , i tried to do one or two themes rather than loads mixed up stuff , also i found if you get a theme and start thinking it out early you can shop around and get stuff much cheaper through the year , rather than i used to which was impulse buy 2 months before Halloween and pay top dollar leading up to the big day , i am actually spit balling ideas for next year already lol , getting my juices going lol . I also found MY home made stuff like the zombie hand wall and my electric chair michael myers where i let the the kids flick the switch lol were the biggest and most remembered and commented on things out of the whole thing i guess its such a hit as you interact with the trick or treaters directly and theres nothing like being grabbed by strange hand on halloween night to give you a vived memory , or personally frying Michael Myers , thinking of resurrecting the chair but in a different form again next year .

·
Registered
73 Posts
We did our first ever outdoor decorations this year. Starting out small, feel a bit sheepish posting the pics after looking though all of yours, but thank you for the inspiration for future years!

We did skeletons climbing the house, using the Asda skellies that were posted here (I think by @Batley & @Daveferatu) painted with this UV spraypaint which is transparent in daylight, but glows blue under UV - this stuff is cool, I'd recommend it! We tried this Instructables tutorial, but the glue anchors wouldn't stay stuck to our limestone walls, so we ended up using nail in cable pins instead. Our lighting was 2x 15w UV flood lights which gave an okay glow, but woefully inadequate as far as actually lighting anything. Lesson learned for next year!

The weather sucked, so people were really rushing to/from the door and most didn't even notice the skeletons on the approach. The parents tended to spot them whilst they stood out on the pavement. Got 129 TOTs and some nice comments. Want to build on our decorations more next year, but will have to think a lot about how to weatherproof props when we're coming up with a theme. We are also very vulnerable to having things pinched, so reluctant to leave stuff out unless it's out of reach or at least secured very well. Do you guys stay outside all evening to keep an eye on your displays?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
They look really good Zero. I was thinking of doing something like that next year now that I have more skellies (went a bit mad in the post-Halloween sales). I would have to put them out on the day and be outside all the time on the night though - like you we have a few light-fingered little sods round here. If I did them at work in the visitor centre I could put them inside and high up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I appreciate the effort you put into your posts @pacman, thanks for the wise wotds 👍 I hope you'll still be excited to resume your display next year as your homemade props are exellent. I've definitely missed your diy photos!

@zerocharisma I think the lighting looks exellent, brilliant first outdoor display 👍

@alexmc wow! The effort was worth it

What was your favourite items from the retailers this year? For me:
Costco - Gargoyle
The Range - Hag Witch, Flying Dragon
Asda - Skeleton dog, Lifesize skeleton
Morrisons - Rabbit skeleton ( I regret not buying)

Most disappointing:
Argos and Wilko. Argos had a lot of new to the UK products last year but this time around mostly overpriced Premier tat. And Wilko, needn't have bothered this year after previous years of exellent props such as the animated clock, lifesize reaper etc.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thank you Batley for your kind words and i will have to sort out a budget and use the time from now wisely to maximise on the budget as well for what i would like to do next year which is a walkthrough , but i would like a timber walkthrough so i could incorporate sliding trapdoors to open and close to scare and reach out a grab people plus fake half decapitated bodies etc with real people attached in some way for scare eeffects , well that is what i would like but time and money will see if i can deliver , I agree Batley i think the retailers have still not grasped the potential in adding more mid range priced items , if they were to add more say £20 - £50 price range half decent props they would sell ,why do i think this , well just looking at the animated props in that price range on the retailers that had them , by the time they reached there sale period close to Halloween day , there were not many of them left to go into the sale , so theres obviously a market , hell just look at our american cousins , they have so much stuff that when there Halloween sales come they are so spoilt for choice for really good prop bargains , i still hope that someone soon will catch on or a store like SPIRIT in the states sees the potential in opening some stores over here .

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
We did our first ever outdoor decorations this year. Starting out small, feel a bit sheepish posting the pics after looking though all of yours, but thank you for the inspiration for future years!

We did skeletons climbing the house, using the Asda skellies that were posted here (I think by @Batley & @Daveferatu) painted with this UV spraypaint which is transparent in daylight, but glows blue under UV - this stuff is cool, I'd recommend it! We tried this Instructables tutorial, but the glue anchors wouldn't stay stuck to our limestone walls, so we ended up using nail in cable pins instead. Our lighting was 2x 15w UV flood lights which gave an okay glow, but woefully inadequate as far as actually lighting anything. Lesson learned for next year!

The weather sucked, so people were really rushing to/from the door and most didn't even notice the skeletons on the approach. The parents tended to spot them whilst they stood out on the pavement. Got 129 TOTs and some nice comments. Want to build on our decorations more next year, but will have to think a lot about how to weatherproof props when we're coming up with a theme. We are also very vulnerable to having things pinched, so reluctant to leave stuff out unless it's out of reach or at least secured very well. Do you guys stay outside all evening to keep an eye on your displays?

View attachment 726446

View attachment 726447

View attachment 726448

View attachment 726449
It looks great , dont put yourself down , like i said in a previous post there's NO MINIMUM and NO MAXIMUM , its whatever time , finance , enthusiasm you want to add to make your haunt small , big , huge , its all down to you i started small then got bigger and bigger but did get to where it was just too much for me on my own , so now i think i will keep it to a size where it is still fun but not a chore , you must have gotten it right because you got some great feedback from the kids and its inspired you to do a bit more next year !!!!! and learn from your mistakes for next year , i know you can get the flickering tea lights , next year when the skellies are up on the wall strap a few of those on them , that way the kids eyes will be drawn to the flickering lights and see the skellies , its all a learning curve , and i found as far as finaces , i enjoyed making my own props and having a more home made haunt , but that was cos i couldnt afford the animatronic stuff , and i think this will be the way forward for me .

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
You are right on Wilkos, Batley - their efforts this year were pathetic. The rabbit skeleton at Morries was just a bit too silly with the ears for me.
Bought 3 of the Asda dogs in the end - two were at half-price.
Couldn't even get a look at the dragon from the Range - usually out of stock so no chance at all. Would have loved one though - I have a thing for dragons. Read too much Anne McCaffery when I was a kid.
Got the RED EYES projection light at half-price and it isn't half-bad for a fiver - wouldn't pay full price though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked these up in B&M for £10, well worth it

I'm going to dabble in Christmas lights this year, nothing like @SpookyScotland exellent display, but I'd like to use the projector again as its a waste as a one night wonder. Theres some great oudoor items in Lidl priced between £10-£20.

Hope you're all doing well?!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Photos aren't the best. This was all really last minute, weather has been horrible for months here so I resorted to putting up black plastic (which again I hate!) tunnels as I just ran out of time (didn't even get a roof on what was going to be the crypt!). I had to push the collected water off the roofs in the morning! I certainly wasn't pleased with it myself (though the cement dipped drop sheets worked really well as cave walls) and probably never will be unless it looks like a Disney attraction but the kids really loved it with the sound activated reapers and witches. I pulled it all down this morning which took 3 hrs including the framework. Missed most of tots while we went out ourselves and now have a metric ton of sweets left! Next year though... View attachment 725637 View attachment 725638 View attachment 725639 View attachment 725640 View attachment 725641 View attachment 725642 View attachment 725643 View attachment 725644
I had the same problem! The morning of Halloween I had to make a hole in my tarp I had over the patio and drain tons of water from the top! What a mess, I hate this weather!!! And cause of the rain after Halloween I was forced to take down my haunt right after. Last year I got to enjoy it a few days before taking it down. All that work for just one day! Yours looks great though!

·
Registered
29 Posts

View attachment 726446

View attachment 726447

View attachment 726448

View attachment 726449
Looks really good, love the skellys!!

481 - 500 of 501 Posts