Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
The candles near Washington Irving's portrait appear to be real. Does that give you concerns so close to so much fabric? I would hate to think visiting ghosts might knock them over and really mess up the scene either by burning parts of it, or spilling wax over everything. If you have a way to stop either of those accidents from happening, please post that method. We would love to have real candles in our haunt, but never feel the risk outweighs their awesomeness as a light source.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone.
I had a blast throwing this together at the last minute with what I had on hand. The only thing I bought was the statue and that's what prompted me to pull down the swap witch setup and create the check-in desk.

@chubstuff Those are real candles in heavy castiron candle holders. Other than the 2 small linens, there isn't any other fabric. The wall behind the setup is corrugated metal. There were quite a bit of wax drippings but I think that added to the look. I set it all up on my workbench, wasn't worried too much about anything getting ruined.
Sorry, I don't have any magic tricks for keeping the candles in place. The only thing I can think of would be to use metal pipe and fittings to screw the candle holders to the desk, but then you still run the risk of someone knocking the candle out of the holder. As far as visiting ghosts, the only one that haunts this place is my husband. We really don't have any visitors, live too far out in the sticks. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Paul! That's the highest compliment I could receive. I've always wanted to build props and sets.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Those are real candles in heavy castiron candle holders. Other than the 2 small linens, there isn't any other fabric. The wall behind the setup is corrugated metal. There were quite a bit of wax drippings but I think that added to the look. I set it all up on my workbench, wasn't worried too much about anything getting ruined.
Sorry, I don't have any magic tricks for keeping the candles in place. Sorry I couldn't be much help.
Thanks for the response. I thought your background was fabric, not metal. As for not helping; you helped a great deal. Inspiration is one of the things Halloween Forum gives all of us. That inspiration comes from folks like you who not only create marvelous things, but take the time to post their work for us to enjoy. And of course, if we steal an idea or five or six, that's the help that we all give each other.

For our little haunt, that sharing has been invaluable. Like you, we're out of the way of normal traffic. Often times, the only way our props get seen by a larger audience is by posting here on the forum. It's always fun when folks appreciate the work. Yours was certainly inspirational on many levels. And that translates into directions we will head we never thought to do. So, thanks for all your help. Keep up the good work. And, of course, the posting of oodles of photos of said good work. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@chubstuff Thanks so much for the compliments and encouraging words. I think this might be the first time I've posted pics of any of my haunts. I will certainly post more in the future.

What you won't experience with the pics are the sounds and smells. I use those books in every haunt and store them in the shed when not in use so the deep south humidity does a good musty number on them. On the opposite side of the room, I made a sitting area (sorry no pics) using a leather chair from my living room that I rubbed down with a leather conditioner for the smell. I had a faux fireplace in front of the chair with a WoodWick Fireside candle burning nearby, unseen. Behind the fireplace, I had an Echo Dot faintly playing crackling fire sounds with the sound of an occasional page-turning and hushed voices. Next to the chair, I had a small table with a cigar in a tray that I'd light ever so often for the smell. I like being able to walk into the rooms of my haunts and feel like it's a real place.

·
Registered
420 Posts
@chubstuff Thanks so much for the compliments and encouraging words. I think this might be the first time I've posted pics of any of my haunts. I will certainly post more in the future.

What you won't experience with the pics are the sounds and smells. I use those books in every haunt and store them in the shed when not in use so the deep south humidity does a good musty number on them. On the opposite side of the room, I made a sitting area (sorry no pics) using a leather chair from my living room that I rubbed down with a leather conditioner for the smell. I had a faux fireplace in front of the chair with a WoodWick Fireside candle burning nearby, unseen. Behind the fireplace, I had an Echo Dot faintly playing crackling fire sounds with the sound of an occasional page-turning and hushed voices. Next to the chair, I had a small table with a cigar in a tray that I'd light ever so often for the smell. I like being able to walk into the rooms of my haunts and feel like it's a real place.
If you ever get a chance to visit London you must visit Dennis Severs House. It is a "museum" based entirely on the premise of the families living in the house have just left or are in another room where you can hear murmuring, etc. It is divided into three homes of families of differing social classes from the 1700's up to the Victorian era. What you are doing in your room reminds me of this so much. It is AMAZING! It is all based on sounds, smell, etc. I have been three times and one of them was at night, by candlelight with no talking allowed called "Silent Night". The Tour | Dennis Severs' House - 18 Folgate Street

·
Registered
986 Posts
We always appreciated folks who post pictures of what they do rather than just a description. The old adage of a picture being worth a thousand words is spot on for us. Sometimes, things as intricate as what you created defy descriptions. But combining your photos with the additional descriptions of things a photo can't show, really help make it come alive. Too many haunters don't realize how important involving all the senses are to a haunt.

What you won't experience with the pics are the sounds and smells.
I think we all have a very specific memory of an older house and that memory involves sights, sounds, and smells. Most of us have a few musty old books and know that smell. The sounds you describe are familiar to us, and just add to the enjoyment of your photos. True, none of that can replace a visit to the actual room, but layer upon layer of information brings us just that much closer.

I like being able to walk into the rooms of my haunts and feel like it's a real place.
Our goal is the same. Even when we go out of our way to make sure the kids know our monsters and ghoulies aren't real, even when the tombstones have jokes and puns that tell you they aren't real, and even when the thing that looks like a mausoleum is hiding a stair case, we love it when our visitors think for just a few moments that what they're looking at is real. We enjoy having folks linger just long enough to convince themselves it's all make believe before they move on. We like it even better when they move on with a lingering doubt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts