Halloween Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Gregg, I may be able to help. There is a projector throw distance calculator that can be found on projector central. Here is the link:

I just upgraded to an Optoma eh412st that has a .5 throw ratio. I used to have a Benq with a .49 throw ratio.

Entering the device type, I see that if my unit (with a .5 throw ratio) is 12'6" from a surface it will cover a 25' x 14' area. Of course the calculator doesn't take into account house mapping, so theoretically, you could double the distance and get: 25 ft away = a covered area 50ft wide by 28 ft high. Looks like a short throw is exactly what you need.

Hope this helps?
This helps a lot - thank you! I’ve been looking at the EH412ST, EH460ST and ZH406ST projectors for mapping our home. I have an old Epson MG-850HD that I’ve done partial house video projection - AtmosFX ghosts and Nightmare before Christmas video excerpts on a section of our house but looking to cover the entire house this year.

The EH412ST looks like the best mix of ANSI lumens (4000), contrast ratio (50,000:1) and bulb life for the price @ ~$1000 - great choice! The EH460ST is 200 lumens more but only 20,000:1 contrast ratio for ~$1250. The ZH406ST is Duracore laser-based with 4200 lumens, 300,000:1 contrast ratio and 30,000 hours life but costs ~$1600. Our house sits on the corner of a cul-de-sac so I’m debating getting two projectors to map the front + side and extend the image across the two projectors so effects and video can transverse both surfaces.

How is the brightness of your image on your house with the EH412ST and how far is the projector from your house? Do you have any light sources like street lights that you have to contend with? Thanks for also providing links to the various tutorials - lots of great info to review.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This helps a lot - thank you! I’ve been looking at the EH412ST, EH460ST and ZH406ST projectors for mapping our home. I have an old Epson MG-850HD that I’ve done partial house video projection - AtmosFX ghosts and Nightmare before Christmas video excerpts on a section of our house but looking to cover the entire house this year.

The EH412ST looks like the best mix of ANSI lumens (4000), contrast ratio (50,000:1) and bulb life for the price @ ~$1000 - great choice! The EH460ST is 200 lumens more but only 20,000:1 contrast ratio for ~$1250. The ZH406ST is Duracore laser-based with 4200 lumens, 300,000:1 contrast ratio and 30,000 hours life but costs ~$1600. Our house sits on the corner of a cul-de-sac so I’m debating getting two projectors to map the front + side and extend the image across the two projectors so effects and video can transverse both surfaces.

How is the brightness of your image on your house with the EH412ST and how far is the projector from your house? Do you have any light sources like street lights that you have to contend with? Thanks for also providing links to the various tutorials - lots of great info to review.
Elias uses an Optoma EH460st I believe. You can see how well it works on his house. Many comment on how the colors really come alive on some of his vids.

Out of respect for the incredible work Elias has done here, I'd rather not "hijack" his post by sticking my vids on it. If you go to Youtube and look up Savage Manor Projections (or old name Spiney99), you can see the evolution of my projectors on the house itself.. I went from a BenQ mw817st to Optoma EH320UST (hated) to BeNQ 824 (like very much) to finally the Optoma eh412st (LOVE). I still use additional projectors in the windows and for garage doors for extra POP. I am lucky, street is relatively dark. Projector placed @25-30 ft away.

Also, I need to follow Elias' lead and make an out door housing!! Would love to have the projector going a week before and not just the night of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Havetolearnitis:
When you see something and you immediately know you just HAVE to master that skill.....

Oh my...these all look brilliant.
I had no idea projector mapping even existed.
Now I need to get into that...
Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This is a Thriller montage I made at the last minute for my youngest daughter. It took a good 8 hours over two days and I only started the last week of October, so it didn't have much time to play. I might use it again next year.

I did NOT create the montage. That's way past my skill level. The creator is CM Wournell on youtube.

I LOVE all your mapping videos- You are so talented! Your neighbors are so lucky! Glad I came across this as I was also looking for a horror movie montage to play at my "Haunted Hollywood" 2020 party- CM Wournell has a couple greta ones on YouTube. SO glad you shared! Can't wait to see what you've got planned for this year.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts