Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been a lurking member here but never posted. The tutorials and information here is fantastic, and I thought I'd share what we do for Halloween. Many thanks to @Icepick and @spiney99 for their tutorials and examples.

I run 4 or 5 different scenes the whole month of October. Everything is transmitted over FM, and we have speakers set up as well for foot traffic. We live in a small town so there are a lot of families that will go for walks together and watch the display in the yard. I've even had people bring blankets. Anyhow, this is only my 2nd year doing this so it's not perfect but I try to learn a new technique or effect on each scene.

The main scene is mostly AtmosFX videos with a photoshop background, and singing pumpkins from thesingingpumpkin.com.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a Thriller montage I made at the last minute for my youngest daughter. It took a good 8 hours over two days and I only started the last week of October, so it didn't have much time to play. I might use it again next year.

I did NOT create the montage. That's way past my skill level. The creator is CM Wournell on youtube.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
First off, Welcome to HF and thanks for sharing your work. Haven't had the chance to watch #2 but what a cool display having watched #1. I can see why your neighbors would stick around to see the whole thing (nice sitting at my computer but sure it would be 1K times better in person). I'm assuming this is done with house mapping and beyond that no idea how you get all the scenes to show up where they do. Very enjoyable to watch and surely a treat for your small town to see. Thanks. Hope you had a fun halloween. How many kids do you get?

Off to watch #2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, Welcome to HF and thanks for sharing your work. Haven't had the chance to watch #2 but what a cool display having watched #1. I can see why your neighbors would stick around to see the whole thing (nice sitting at my computer but sure it would be 1K times better in person). I'm assuming this is done with house mapping and beyond that no idea how you get all the scenes to show up where they do. Very enjoyable to watch and surely a treat for your small town to see. Thanks. Hope you had a fun halloween. How many kids do you get?

Off to watch #2
Thank you! Yes, it's all projection mapping that I basically fell into out of laziness. lol. A few years ago I found myself on a ladder removing Christmas lights in 20 below weather because my wife wanted them down. I realized it was just dumb, and thought I should just project some lights. I grabbed my laptop and projector and stuck a picture of a string of lights up, and it worked. Thought I'd just do Christmas lights but I found this forum looking for some information on the idea. Next thing you know the neighbors are asking me how I made my house bleed.

I have two girls. My youngest loves scary stuff and Thriller. My oldest requested Monster Mash and Bad Guy. She said "Use Bad Guy, and anything but clowns."

This is what she came home to:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure why it's so enjoyable to torture my kids, but it sure is.

I only use one Optoma EH460.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is amazing. Where did you learn to do this?
If you're asking where I learned to torture my kids, I was born with that gift. Lol.

As far as the projection mapping, I mostly learned from a few members here, and then just started playing around. I'm still learning and trying to get better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're asking where I learned to torture my kids, I was born with that gift. Lol.

As far as the projection mapping, I mostly learned from a few members here, and then just started playing around. I'm still learning and trying to get better.
This looks awesome! I’m thinking of projection mapping our house this Halloween. Couple quick questions - How wide is your house for your mapping? And how far back do you need to have your projector to cover that width? I’ve got about 50ft of width on a two story (25ft tall) and have about 30ft from the house to sidewalk so I’m looking at short throw 0.5:1 projectors. Thanks for any experience/insight you can share!

·
Registered
420 Posts
These are fantastic! Yes, please share your knowledge on software, etc. My husband is a graphic designer and has been voicing his desire to stop hanging Christmas/Halloween lights and decor because he is afraid he is going to fall off the ladder (he is not even 50 yet, but I digress). This would be so up his alley!

·
Registered
284 Posts
How did I miss this! Thanks for the shout out!
Everyone that sees this should go now and subscribe to Elias' Youtube channel. If you like what you see now, I am sure we will love what we see next year!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, please share your knowledge on software,
Until the OP shares their knowledge, here's some info to start you off on projection mapping:
There's basically two ways to do it:
1. Use Video Projection Mapping software, such as
2. 'Draw' your house and then use something like Adobe After Effects: here's one of many videos that might help.

A company called Digital Press Works sells video projections for your house. Their guide on drawing/mapping your house has some good tips even if you're just going to do the effects yourself. They also have a reasonable guide for building a projector box.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This looks awesome! I’m thinking of projection mapping our house this Halloween. Couple quick questions - How wide is your house for your mapping? And how far back do you need to have your projector to cover that width? I’ve got about 50ft of width on a two story (25ft tall) and have about 30ft from the house to sidewalk so I’m looking at short throw 0.5:1 projectors. Thanks for any experience/insight you can share!
Hi Gregg, I may be able to help. There is a projector throw distance calculator that can be found on projector central. Here is the link:

I just upgraded to an Optoma eh412st that has a .5 throw ratio. I used to have a Benq with a .49 throw ratio.

Entering the device type, I see that if my unit (with a .5 throw ratio) is 12'6" from a surface it will cover a 25' x 14' area. Of course the calculator doesn't take into account house mapping, so theoretically, you could double the distance and get: 25 ft away = a covered area 50ft wide by 28 ft high. Looks like a short throw is exactly what you need.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Until the OP shares their knowledge, here's some info to start you off on projection mapping:
There's basically two ways to do it:
1. Use Video Projection Mapping software, such as
2. 'Draw' your house and then use something like Adobe After Effects: here's one of many videos that might help.

A company called Digital Press Works sells video projections for your house. Their guide on drawing/mapping your house has some good tips even if you're just going to do the effects yourself. They also have a reasonable guide for building a projector box.
Exactly! You can also look up some examples here on this forum.
If interested, Here are the posts that got me started
Haunted Neurons mapped an old weathered façade on his house..This is truly what started my addiction. My first year was just an old brick façade with no animation and nothing in the windows..but each year I tried to get a little better.

www.halloweenforum.com

Atmosphere Effects: - Projected facade of old weathered house
I tried my hand at video mapping to the front of my house this year. Turned it into an old weathered house as a backdrop to my graveyard. The actual projection picture is a captured video frame so doesn't look as good as it does in person. The first picture is the graphic I created in Photoshop...
www.halloweenforum.com
www.halloweenforum.com

Here is the original tutorial from Icepick
www.halloweenforum.com

Projection mapping tutorial
Hello everyone. I'll try to make this short, but also thorough. First a bit of backstory. I go to Disney world at least once a year, and while the singing busts in the haunted mansion are great, what really caught my eye was the complete transformation of the castle they do as a night show. I...
www.halloweenforum.com
www.halloweenforum.com

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts