Halloween Forum banner

1281 - 1291 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well, I think our days of pumpkin growing are over. This year the harvest was iffy at best, and yesterday the squirrels put the last nail in the coffin.

We know our squirrels. Once they have the taste of pumpkin blood on their lips, they'll never go back. We either kill them like a man-eating lion, or we just stop feeding them pumpkins. We're going to opt for the later and not grow pumpkins next year. They don't seem to enjoy eating the regular pumpkins, but they chew on them enough to start them rotting. We acquired a whole bunch of fake pumpkins this year from a garage sale, so next year we're going to create a pumpkin patch of fake pumpkins. We'll miss the real pumpkins, but we know what will happen to our pumpkins now that the squirrels have told all their friends how good they taste.

For all of you who brave viruses, bugs, squirrels, voles, and all manner of other things that go after your pumpkins, we admire you. We just think reseeding the area with clover is so much easier. We know the bees will be happier come next spring. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, I think our days of pumpkin growing are over. This year the harvest was iffy at best, and yesterday the squirrels put the last nail in the coffin.

View attachment 726984

We know our squirrels. Once they have the taste of pumpkin blood on their lips, they'll never go back. We either kill them like a man-eating lion, or we just stop feeding them pumpkins. We're going to opt for the later and not grow pumpkins next year. They don't seem to enjoy eating the regular pumpkins, but they chew on them enough to start them rotting. We acquired a whole bunch of fake pumpkins this year from a garage sale, so next year we're going to create a pumpkin patch of fake pumpkins. We'll miss the real pumpkins, but we know what will happen to our pumpkins now that the squirrels have told all their friends how good they taste.

For all of you who brave viruses, bugs, squirrels, voles, and all manner of other things that go after your pumpkins, we admire you. We just think reseeding the area with clover is so much easier. We know the bees will be happier come next spring. :)
Aww that sucks! I didn't know squirrels were so bloodthirsty. Something weird is I've not seen a single squirrel in the 3 years we've lived in this house, even though we're surrounded by trees. We did have a family of opossums living behind our garage but they moved away when I stopped feeding the stray cat on the porch. Don't worry about the cat - he now "rents" a room in our basement.

·
Registered
776 Posts

View attachment 726984

But but.. but... you'll still post updates on the fake pumpkin patch? Critters still inhabit faux patches (mice renting for the season, raccoons playing soccer & voles are voles) Inquiring minds need to know.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Aww that sucks! I didn't know squirrels were so bloodthirsty.
Our squirrels are of a singular mind when the find something they like to eat. We are in a constant battle with them over who gets the most food out of our bird feeders, and now that they're eating the pumpkins, we pretty much know they'll never give up as long as they're available. They run around the back yard where the garden is, but rarely eat much of anything. Their foray into pumpkins this year is a game changer, though.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
We have to use fake pumpkins, too, for the same reason...the squirrels in this neighborhood LOVE pumpkins, gourds, ect. I always used to decorate outside with real pumpkins at the old house, but we can't, here. It's become a running joke with some people how crazy my squirrels are about pumpkins.
So, for Fall, I put out fake, uncarved pumpkins then, in October, I add in fake pumpkins that I carved.
Any pumpkins or gourds that I grow have to be used as indoor decor. We do each carve a real pumpkin for Halloween, and a couple days before...but we have to keep them inside until evening when the squirrels go to sleep. We put them out, light them and then, before we go to sleep, I have to bring them back in. Rinse and repeat each night. It's a pain, but Halloween night with no real lit jack o lantern just isn't acceptable, for me, lol. After Halloween, I just leave them out and let them go to town, lol.
We tried every trick we could find of things to coat the pumpkins with so the squirrels wouldn't eat them...nothing stopped them. They seemed to particularly like the hot sauce...like they figured we seasoned the pumpkins for them...sigh...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Today is the last day for the pumpkin topiary. That is the official end of pumpkin season for me. I'll save some seeds & compost the rest.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm always amazed at how quickly the pumpkin vines decompose. I just piled them all up right before Halloween with the intention to add them to the compost later... which ended up being yesterday... and they are almost completely gone! I wish everything in the garden was this easy to deal with (I say as I head outside to gather up all the dead plants in planters and it's 37 degrees outside). This has nothing to do with me being a procrastinator 😆

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm always amazed at how quickly the pumpkin vines decompose. I just piled them all up right before Halloween with the intention to add them to the compost later... which ended up being yesterday... and they are almost completely gone! I wish everything in the garden was this easy to deal with (I say as I head outside to gather up all the dead plants in planters and it's 37 degrees outside). This has nothing to do with me being a procrastinator 😆
🎃🎃🎃
I don't call it procrastinating.... I think of it as being environmentally aware (yeah, that's it) I let the birds peck all the dead stuff 🤣

The pumpkin topiary may be down but the Winter Solstice Urn is up

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
🎃🎃🎃
I don't call it procrastinating.... I think of it as being environmentally aware (yeah, that's it) I let the birds peck all the dead stuff 🤣

The pumpkin topiary may be down but the Winter Solstice Urn is up
So pretty! You have a wonderful talent for decorative displays.

1281 - 1291 of 1291 Posts