Halloween Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm glad you had a beautiful night, Kdestra! Well, besides your tornado watch.
We, unfortunately, had a bit of a snowstorm and below freezing temps, so our Trick or Treat was moved to today. Ug. It's still too cold, our display is frozen or half covered in snow and we lost half our lighting. Oh well.
As for all my gourds and mini pumpkins, I plan to keep them as long as possible, hopefully to have for Thanksgiving. I have lost a few Daisy gourds, so far, though.

A snowstorm😣 I can't imagine having it snow in October

We had neighbors over on Friday night. People were having fun and didn't leave until late. So Saturday was a complete waste for me. Thankfully I'm no longer hungover☠☠☠☠ and will start taking everything down. I'm building the pumpkin topiary 🎃🎃🎃

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
The 4 big moose pumpkins.

We had a miserable fall for pumpkins, with hard freezes the entire week leading up to Halloween. I ended up bringing these inside. The three smaller ones were carved and out on the 30th, and froze solid. Funny thing about frozen solid pumpkins is they get a little translucent, so the whole thing glows as opposed to the largest one here that my son carved day of.

Anyway, overall review of Big Moose now that we have cracked them open and carved them:

Advertised size of 100-150lb seems accurate. Without trying or any special watering/fertilizing, 2 within this range, and one at 80 lb out of 4 plants.

1 plant never set a single pumpkin. The other 3 all set at least 2. (trimming off the second pumpkins should lead to bigger pumpkins)

Seemed fairly powdery mildew resistant.
Fairly sensitive to temps over 100 degrees, needed a shade built.
Aggressive with secondary roots along the vines, and survived several vines getting crushed by people walking on them.
Late season setting (late august-sept) pumpkins did not have good surviving rates.

about 4" thick walls, great for carving and sculpting. SUPER EASY cleaning. Flesh smelled rather similar to cantaloupe.

Did not roast seeds or taste.

Definitely going to try again next year assuming I can find seeds.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks for sharing a review, UnOrthodOx! They look fantastic carved!
I finally got my gourds all harvested.
I got 9 of the Peru Sugar bowls that might dry, but they're awfully thin-shelled to craft with. There were several more that had mature seeds, but rotted in the garden. This is the second year that has been the case; I don't think I got more than one or two decent ones last year. A few of them:

20191030_224546[1].jpg

I wound up with 13 long-handled dippers. I think I already posted a picture of most of them. Again, there could have been a few more, but they're buckling-- not enough time to thicken up.
The cannonballs did pretty well. I got around 65. Some are on racks in the shed already. Behind them in the picture is the bule gourds that weren't what I intentionally planted. There are quite a few of them, (more than are in the photo) but not having grown them before, I have no idea how many are apt to dry decently.

20191105_140717[1].jpg

I have lots of small gourds -- I didn't even begin to count most of them. Some are bottle gourds (Mini Nigerian Bottle, Harry's Dipper, Peruvian Pear,) and some are decorative (egg, round, TN spinner, and I think WitchyKitty gourds). This is fewer than half. They need to be cleaned up. Some of the Harry's Dippers have started to mold on the tips but they're Lagenarias and should dry just fine.

20191105_133709[1].jpg

Not gourds--- But here are my poor pumpkins on a stick. It looks like a few of them got close before they froze.
20191030_224454[1].jpg

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
UnOrthodOx, your carved pumpkins all look awesome!! I love how you have them stacked...we almost did that, this year. Thanks for the growing info on Big Moose that you collected and shared with us.

ooojen, I love all your pumpkins and gourds! 93 Orange Cuties!! That's crazy! I wish I had room to grow that many!
Looking through your small gourd picture, I'm not sure I see anything that looks like mine, but you never know. I guess that white pumpkin I found could've somehow had seeds in it that sprouted different types of gourds. Mine were quite big and had wings/ribs. I'd have to get a close up look in person, lol. You are somewhat close to me, I could probably swing by tomorrow and take a look, lol! Regardless, they are all adorable! I just love gourds.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
WitchyKitty-- I'll get a couple better shots soon.

What I got from your gourdkin seed looks kind of like an elongated version of one of the types of egg gourd...no wings, but still cool. I'm almost sure that's what came from the WK seed. :) They look great in a mixed bowl, and if they dry, they should be excellent for crafting things, too. I still have seeds left, so it will be fun to plant another next year and see what happens! I guess Siblings of the Gourdkin are like human siblings --they have some things in common but also have their own unique qualities. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Definitely going to try again next year assuming I can find seeds.
I realize oftentimes pumpkins don't grow true to form from second generation seeds out of the garden, but did you save a few of your Big Moose seeds to see what creatures may come from planting them?

·
Registered
776 Posts
As always I'm super impressed and left speechless with everyone's pumpkins.

Grabbed a striped pumpkin off curb (no clue what it is) and added it to the pumpkin stacks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
I realize oftentimes pumpkins don't grow true to form from second generation seeds out of the garden, but did you save a few of your Big Moose seeds to see what creatures may come from planting them?
No, they would have been crossed with the early giants. I want to test another true version next year.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Gorgeous arrangements, Kdestra! You do some beautiful presentations! I like the bumpy "patty pan" shaped fruits! The striped one looks like "One Too Many". I (try to) grow them every year, but the sole plant I put in was killed off when DH went after the ragweeds.
Since I'm aiming for diversity, I'm always torn about how many of each variety to plant. I don't necessarily want huge numbers of the same type of pumpkin, but if I only plant one vine of a variety, that leaves it pretty vulnerable.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Gorgeous arrangements, Kdestra! You do some beautiful presentations! I like the bumpy "patty pan" shaped fruits! The striped one looks like "One Too Many". I (try to) grow them every year, but the sole plant I put in was killed off when DH went after the ragweeds.
Since I'm aiming for diversity, I'm always torn about how many of each variety to plant. I don't necessarily want huge numbers of the same type of pumpkin, but if I only plant one vine of a variety, that leaves it pretty vulnerable.
Thank you 🎃🎃🎃

Btw those patty pans are delicious. They have a slight coconut taste to them. I ate them raw OMG!!! They're so good.

"One Too Many" - I've never heard about those before so I Googled it & I think you're right. I'll save some seeds from it.

I know I didn't give Jung's corn seed a good review in the beginning. And I think I planted to early when the ground was cold because the stalks grew over 12ft. Very healthy, very strong & displayed brilliantly.
Next year I'm going for BIG ears of corn!!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
So far, most of my mini Little October pumpkins and Daisy gourds are lasting into my Thanksgiving decor...I did lose some, though. We will see how many make it all the way to Thanksgiving! I hope, at least, some do, lol.

The only pumpkins I've seen on the curb, this year, have been carved ones. Sadly, no whole ones...(probably because of all the pumpkin loving squirrels in the area, hahaha...sigh...)

·
Registered
895 Posts
As always I'm super impressed and left speechless with everyone's pumpkins.

Grabbed a striped pumpkin off curb (no clue what it is) and added it to the pumpkin stacks.
And I am so impressed by yours. If the day comes when the striped pumpkin gives up it's seeds, I would gladly send you a self addressed envelope to get a few... it's one way to ensure someone is thankful about things come this Thanksgiving. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
The only pumpkins I've seen on the curb, this year, have been carved ones. Sadly, no whole ones...(probably because of all the pumpkin loving squirrels in the area, hahaha...sigh...)
This year there were no pumpkins on the curb for us either. It seems it's feast or famine when it comes to pumpkins kicked to the curb. However, a member of NextDoor, the neighborhood app, sent out a request for pumpkins for her pig and got a bunch of folks responding. So, for those who enjoy collecting seeds, that might be an option. We're hoping to find mutant pumpkins for next year, so the kindness of strangers to give up their pumpkins for pig food didn't set back what we were looking for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you 🎃🎃🎃

Btw those patty pans are delicious. They have a slight coconut taste to them. I ate them raw OMG!!! They're so good.

"One Too Many" - I've never heard about those before so I Googled it & I think you're right. I'll save some seeds from it.

I know I didn't give Jung's corn seed a good review in the beginning. And I think I planted to early when the ground was cold because the stalks grew over 12ft. Very healthy, very strong & displayed brilliantly.
Next year I'm going for BIG ears of corn!!
Really gorgeous! I love the topiary. Where did you get the wire frames to contain them?

1261 - 1280 of 1291 Posts