Halloween Forum banner

1241 - 1244 of 1244 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,587 Posts
Ooojen - those gourds are beautiful! I never knew there was such a variety of types and colors available.
Kdestra - I love your corn stalk pumpkin! It looks awesome all lit up.

Two of the three pumpkins actually turned orange after I harvested them. I know my 3 is nothing compared to all you experienced pumpkin growers, but these are the biggest I've ever grown. I did get 5 last year but they were all small and only one ever turned orange. My husband likes to joke that all the time and expense to grow 3 pumpkins doesn't really amount to much when I could buy 3 big ones at the store for a lot less 😆 but I think it's worth it.
Love them! It's great they turned orange, for you!
Yeah, you could go buy some...but it feels good and they mean more when you know you grew them, yourself! I always end up having to go to a pumpkin farm or such to get big carving pumpkins, as I have no room to grow any that big, but I love to have minis, pies, gourds, ect that I grew myself!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ooojen - those gourds are beautiful! I never knew there was such a variety of types and colors available.
Kdestra - I love your corn stalk pumpkin! It looks awesome all lit up.

Two of the three pumpkins actually turned orange after I harvested them. I know my 3 is nothing compared to all you experienced pumpkin growers, but these are the biggest I've ever grown. I did get 5 last year but they were all small and only one ever turned orange. My husband likes to joke that all the time and expense to grow 3 pumpkins doesn't really amount to much when I could buy 3 big ones at the store for a lot less 😆 but I think it's worth it.
They are lovely and growing your own gives much more "Street Credit" then store bought 🎃🎃🎃

·
Registered
869 Posts
Chubstuff-- Did you plant a long-season corn? If you do decide to try again, you might look for an 85 to 90 day corn. A lot of them are shorter-stalked than later varieties, but they should be brown long before Halloween.
Thanks for the suggestion. I planted an early sweet corn, but if I do any corn next year, I think I'll try some maize. We had corn coming out our ears, but not the stalks. They stayed green. And it's not like I could stop watering them to help them dry out. Mother Nature saw to that. :(

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
That's really interesting that early sweet corn would stay green. Yep, must be the climate! We've had lots of rain...but we also had a couple hard freezes. Our corn plants are all toast.
Our Halloween party is on Sat. I'll start wrangling up seeds once that's over with. :)

1241 - 1244 of 1244 Posts