Halloween Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 1281 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,599 Posts
Ooojen - those gourds are beautiful! I never knew there was such a variety of types and colors available.
Kdestra - I love your corn stalk pumpkin! It looks awesome all lit up.

Two of the three pumpkins actually turned orange after I harvested them. I know my 3 is nothing compared to all you experienced pumpkin growers, but these are the biggest I've ever grown. I did get 5 last year but they were all small and only one ever turned orange. My husband likes to joke that all the time and expense to grow 3 pumpkins doesn't really amount to much when I could buy 3 big ones at the store for a lot less 😆 but I think it's worth it.
Love them! It's great they turned orange, for you!
Yeah, you could go buy some...but it feels good and they mean more when you know you grew them, yourself! I always end up having to go to a pumpkin farm or such to get big carving pumpkins, as I have no room to grow any that big, but I love to have minis, pies, gourds, ect that I grew myself!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ooojen - those gourds are beautiful! I never knew there was such a variety of types and colors available.
Kdestra - I love your corn stalk pumpkin! It looks awesome all lit up.

Two of the three pumpkins actually turned orange after I harvested them. I know my 3 is nothing compared to all you experienced pumpkin growers, but these are the biggest I've ever grown. I did get 5 last year but they were all small and only one ever turned orange. My husband likes to joke that all the time and expense to grow 3 pumpkins doesn't really amount to much when I could buy 3 big ones at the store for a lot less 😆 but I think it's worth it.
They are lovely and growing your own gives much more "Street Credit" then store bought 🎃🎃🎃

·
Registered
889 Posts
Chubstuff-- Did you plant a long-season corn? If you do decide to try again, you might look for an 85 to 90 day corn. A lot of them are shorter-stalked than later varieties, but they should be brown long before Halloween.
Thanks for the suggestion. I planted an early sweet corn, but if I do any corn next year, I think I'll try some maize. We had corn coming out our ears, but not the stalks. They stayed green. And it's not like I could stop watering them to help them dry out. Mother Nature saw to that. :(

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That's really interesting that early sweet corn would stay green. Yep, must be the climate! We've had lots of rain...but we also had a couple hard freezes. Our corn plants are all toast.
Our Halloween party is on Sat. I'll start wrangling up seeds once that's over with. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
When did you plant your corn?
Had a tough time in the beginning with mine. I think I planted to early & the ground was to cold then I had to battle with squirrels. But after July's brutal heatwave - it was brown.
I am pretty sure that's our problem. We have really wet springs, so planting corn doesn't come until late where I live. The ground is still too wet even in May to plant corn where we have open area. We plant it in June, which is just about the time we see corn showing up at the local farmer's markets. We have great tasting corn in August and September, which is fun, but no brown cornstalks to put out come Halloween. We want to make a talking pumpkin scarecrow, but I think we'll have to reconsider exactly what he's guarding if the corn doesn't cooperate a bit more. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's really interesting that early sweet corn would stay green. Yep, must be the climate! We've had lots of rain...but we also had a couple hard freezes. Our corn plants are all toast.
Our Halloween party is on Sat. I'll start wrangling up seeds once that's over with. :)
A few stalks have finally toppled over, and they're sort of turning yellow. Not enough for next Thursday, but close enough that I'll probably try again next year... if we have a scarecrow made by planting time that will use the stalks as a prop. Otherwise, I might just let the grass grow in and leave the area open for painting large scale props. :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Halloween party was last night-- lots of fun, but quite a few people couldn't make it. It's a heavily agricultural community, and the harvest is late this year. People want to get done before the snow flies. We still had plenty of people for a fun get-together. Now I have Halloween night to kick back and watch a couple movies with our daughter.
Anyway, I'll try to get the rest of my harvest recorded...finally!
Here are the Tiny Turks-- mini versions of Turk's Turban squash.

20191027_173534[1].jpg 20191027_160908[1].jpg

They vary from 3-lobed to 5-lobed (following their flowers). The earlier ones are scabby and bumpy, but the later-season ones are less so. The vines must be more herbicide resistant than most-- the pumpkins on both sides of the Tiny Turk vine died. It was knocked back, but survived and didn't do half badly. It was pretty hard to tell male from female flowers at first. It's only the "cap" part that shows behind the flower, and the middle part pushes up from inside that.

My largest ones are about 4.5" top to bottom, and the smallest just around 2". (There's one smaller, but I doubt it will last. There's another medium-sized one that didn't get in the picture, so there are still19 good solid ones.)

·
Registered
765 Posts
The pumpkins were not as successful as the Pomegranats this year. Hopefully you won't mind if I share photos. I'm trying use, cook, freeze then compost every

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hope everyone had fun last night. We were under a Tornado watch but the rain held off. It was a beautiful night. I'll be redoing my pumpkin topiary tomorrow for fall. I plan to leave my pumpkin stacks up too. We work so hard growing pumpkins I hate to get rid of them. I'll also be scouting around for cool pumpkins left on the curb for trash 🎃🎃🎃

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,599 Posts
I'm glad you had a beautiful night, Kdestra! Well, besides your tornado watch.
We, unfortunately, had a bit of a snowstorm and below freezing temps, so our Trick or Treat was moved to today. Ug. It's still too cold, our display is frozen or half covered in snow and we lost half our lighting. Oh well.
As for all my gourds and mini pumpkins, I plan to keep them as long as possible, hopefully to have for Thanksgiving. I have lost a few Daisy gourds, so far, though.

1241 - 1260 of 1281 Posts