Halloween Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1281 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Early Giant
I only got three this year, off two vines. Last year there were six or seven on each plant. But I had to admit to myself that I really didn't need more than three.
Once these matured, the plants really tried to produce another round, but it was just too late. Second shot has a gallon jug in for size perspective.
20191010_000430[1].jpg 20191009_114149[2].jpg

Sugar Pie was kind of around a corner from the last spot sprayed. It had one pumpkin forming at the time, and while it didn't die back, it did stall. After the one little pumpkin (smallest of the bunch) finally matured, the entire vine jumped back into action, and it produced a total of 17 fruit. That was darned good for a pretty contained vine.
Most of the Sugar Pies are around 5 pounds.
20191009_215438[1].jpg

Victor (Red Warty Thing-- What genius came up with that re-naming? haha!)
Three pumpkins from three vines. Other years they've generally been pretty productive for me (last year excepted). They're terrible pest magnets though, and they lost additional set fruit to SVBs. (Those wound up being a real scourge before the season was over.)
The smallest fruit isn't as red as it should be, but it's pretty solid, and I expect it will make it through Halloween with no trouble.
20191008_185408[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I got the SuperFreaks cleaned up this morning. That was the biggest of the pumpkin-cleaning chores! I grew the mid-sized ones, Goosebumps, but they're a bit smaller than the 8 to 12 pound average that the description suggested. They're also fairly variable in shape and in bumps. I read that the lumpy hybrids produce more bumps when the growing conditions are good, and it does seem that the ones formed during the longer, sunnier days are the lumpiest.
18 fruits- I'm hapy with that!
20191010_133512[1].jpg

Then there were the volunteer JbLs. I get volunteers every year, without my being aware of leaving any of the little pumpkins unharvested. I can only assume a meadow mouse or a squirrel is running off with a pumpkin here or there, and stashing the seeds, because they come up where I didn't have any the previous year.
20191010_121305[1].jpg

And while I'm here, I'll share a shot of the yet-unwashed long-necked dipper gourds (a few TN spinners got tossed in there, too). There are some still out in the garden, waiting to be harvested. I grew a few on a trellis, but the trellis is only 4', and the "necks" are so long they still wind up bent. (That's ok; I'd like one or two straight-necked gourds, but I actually like the snake-like handles best.)

20191010_120945[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks, WitchyKitty!
Are there more yet to come?
I still have Toad pumpkins,Tiny Turk squash, Orange Cuties, and my one single Wyatt's Wonder and I'll post pictures if I get the chance.
I should have quite a few more gourds, too. I'll probably get some of them photographed, but maybe not all of them.
For our Halloween party this year, I'm going with a Mystery Island/Cannibal Feast kind of generic jungle island theme. I'm having fun with it, but I really miss using all my typical autumn Halloween stuff. I have a lot of little decorative gourds around the house that I'm going to hide away for party time. Next year I'll be back to normal decor. 😊

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
WitchyKitty-- I got some, but I haven't been able to get them gathered. Everything on that end of the garden is very wet and very densely overgrown. It's already 32F now, so it's bound to open up a little after tonight. Then I can walk around without worrying about stepping on the gourds.
I did get the daisies cleaned up. I read reviews of them before I grew them. One person said the gourds got more diverse later in the season. I kind of thought they were just seeing mature color as opposed to unripe fruit color--- but no, they really do come in more different colors late.
First, the gold and white-- some have a few bumps, some have a lot. Some have fairly straight sides, and some are V shaped. The late season ones, even though very solid and mature, have some green on them.
This one was the most productive, and the largest. (I found one more after I took the picture.)
20191011_220102[1].jpg 20191011_222607[1].jpg

The green and white gourds--- late season fruits were in solid green, and also orange/green/white. Some of the earlier season ones (back couple rows) look almost like they have little skull face patterns. Second shot-- top view, and why they're called Daisy Gourds.
20191011_220140[1].jpg 20191011_215936[1].jpg

The last ones could almost be called "Tulip Gourds" instead of "Daisy". They were the most consistent, but there's still a little difference in color and shape.
20191011_224228[1].jpg 20191011_232724[1].jpg

I was pretty lucky that I planted 3 seeds and got 3 completely different types of gourds...plus a little extra diversity off each individual plant.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,600 Posts
WitchyKitty-- I got some, but I haven't been able to get them gathered. Everything on that end of the garden is very wet and very densely overgrown. It's already 32F now, so it's bound to open up a little after tonight. Then I can walk around without worrying about stepping on the gourds.
I did get the daisies cleaned up. I read reviews of them before I grew them. One person said the gourds got more diverse later in the season. I kind of thought they were just seeing mature color as opposed to unripe fruit color--- but no, they really do come in more different colors late.
First, the gold and white-- some have a few bumps, some have a lot. Some have fairly straight sides, and some are V shaped. The late season ones, even though very solid and mature, have some green on them.
This one was the most productive, and the largest. (I found one more after I took the picture.)
View attachment 723385 View attachment 723386

The green and white gourds--- late season fruits were in solid green, and also orange/green/white. Some of the earlier season ones (back couple rows) look almost like they have little skull face patterns. Second shot-- top view, and why they're called Daisy Gourds.
View attachment 723387 View attachment 723388

The last ones could almost be called "Tulip Gourds" instead of "Daisy". They were the most consistent, but there's still a little difference in color and shape.
View attachment 723389 View attachment 723391

I was pretty lucky that I planted 3 seeds and got 3 completely different types of gourds...plus a little extra diversity off each individual plant.
They all look awesome! Yeah, I was super lucky to grow two daisy gourd plants and each was a different kind! We were both lucky on that! Really, between your three and my two, we grew five different kinds because none of yours look just like mine. Crazy, lol.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Harvested all of the corn & bundled it to our old friend Jack. We found the lamp post in the trash a few years ago. We're thinking about replacing the back lightning with a "fire & Ice" LED.

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think this is the last year I'm planting corn. I love how it looks all tied together, but everyone else has one aspect to their corn that mine doesn't... mine is still green. I could cut it all today and with our weather it would still be green by the time Halloween rolls around. I won't see brown corn until probably around mid December, just in time for a nice North Pole sign made out of dried corn stalks. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think this is the last year I'm planting corn. I love how it looks all tied together, but everyone else has one aspect to their corn that mine doesn't... mine is still green. I could cut it all today and with our weather it would still be green by the time Halloween rolls around. I won't see brown corn until probably around mid December, just in time for a nice North Pole sign made out of dried corn stalks. :)
When did you plant your corn?
Had a tough time in the beginning with mine. I think I planted to early & the ground was to cold then I had to battle with squirrels. But after July's brutal heatwave - it was brown.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Chubstuff-- Did you plant a long-season corn? If you do decide to try again, you might look for an 85 to 90 day corn. A lot of them are shorter-stalked than later varieties, but they should be brown long before Halloween.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ooojen - those gourds are beautiful! I never knew there was such a variety of types and colors available.
Kdestra - I love your corn stalk pumpkin! It looks awesome all lit up.

Two of the three pumpkins actually turned orange after I harvested them. I know my 3 is nothing compared to all you experienced pumpkin growers, but these are the biggest I've ever grown. I did get 5 last year but they were all small and only one ever turned orange. My husband likes to joke that all the time and expense to grow 3 pumpkins doesn't really amount to much when I could buy 3 big ones at the store for a lot less 😆 but I think it's worth it.

Attachments

1221 - 1240 of 1281 Posts