Halloween Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
:) This year, by the time the exchange rolls around, I think we'll have artichoke seeds
Ants farmed aphids on the artichokes that I grew from seed!! I've never seen an infestation on this scale before. I had 7 plants and all of them were infested with black aphids. Hate to admit it but I bought pyrethrin & killed those little jerks. Have you ever dealt with aphids on your artichokes?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ants farmed aphids on the artichokes that I grew from seed!! I've never seen an infestation on this scale before. I had 7 plants and all of them were infested with black aphids. Hate to admit it but I bought pyrethrin & killed those little jerks. Have you ever dealt with aphids on your artichokes?
I've never had a problem with aphids on the artichokes, but I can understand why they might get them. One of the reasons we don't seem to get many aphids is there always seems to be a sacrificial plant that attracts the ants and them, thus saving all the rest of our veggies and flowers from their invasion. It's never the same plant from year to year, and sometimes it's even been a flowering weed. I find that hosing them down with a strong spray of water works pretty well, but for a major infestation I would probably consider more aggressive options. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
That was my only year gambling by planting only seeds I harvested, myself, unknowing what I would end up with if they were cross pollinated or not. It was fun waiting to see what I'd get...though when my white pumpkin seeds started producing weird, ribbed bottle shaped white things, I was quite surprised and amused!!
I think going forward, it's going to be the only way I plant our pumpkins. We have a great white pumpkin that came from the pumpkin seeds of one we found on the side of the road. We have two Rouge Vif D’Etampe from a cast away as well. Every pumpkin out in our field that's going to make it to the finish line was a cast off or something we got from the seed exchange. The rest of our pumpkins didn't fare so well, especially the ones from store bought seed. We do have two Big Max pumpkins that might survive but they're actually smaller than a regular Jack-o-lantern pumpkin. They're so sad, we know we'll have to find a place for them in the haunt. It has to hurt knowing that you were supposed to be a giant and turned out a mini. So, this year has taught me that if I plant something unknown, at least if it survives, I will be thrilled. :) Next year will be the same as we harvest the seeds from this year's winners.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Test gourd was annihilated. So, I guess that means I still can't put out any real gourds or pumpkins. Sigh...
Ahhh... that's too bad. A world of Funkins isn't so bad, but the real ones have a charm that can't be duplicated. Maybe you could box a few up in chicken wire cages and put them out. It wouldn't look good, but it would frustrate the squirrels for a time. Revenge is a squash best served cold.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Ahhh... that's too bad. A world of Funkins isn't so bad, but the real ones have a charm that can't be duplicated. Maybe you could box a few up in chicken wire cages and put them out. It wouldn't look good, but it would frustrate the squirrels for a time. Revenge is a squash best served cold.
Hahahaha!! 😂

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Kdestra-- Love your flower. It's a botanical worthy of the Addams Family garden!
WitchyKitty -- Your arrangements are lovely-- homey and so autumnal.
So it's Siblings of the Gourdkins! I think that like many siblings, they won't be carbon copies of each other, but will have a number of common characteristics. The gourd patch has become an inpenetrable jungle, but when I last saw some of the SotG, they were elongated ovals, and white, but didn't have the ridges. We'll know how they look soon!

I've been busy, but I did carry my phone out to the garden for a quick picture after the discussion on volunteers. DH's ragweed spraying took out a couple volunteers (one that was making really tall, elongated bicolor pumpkins :( ). But this one survived-- a pretty cool pear-shaped orange and black bicolor. It's the only one of pumpkin plants that has given up for the season, but it made 9 medium-small (a little bigger than they appear in the picture, I think) fruits before it finished.
20190923_205843[1].jpg 20190923_205928[1].jpg

Edit in: When I say it has given up for the season, I mean it's not putting out any new growth nor new flowers. It still has some green leaves, and the vines and stems are still in decent shape.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Kdestra-- Love your flower. It's a botanical worthy of the Addams Family garden!
WitchyKitty -- Your arrangements are lovely-- homey and so autumnal.
So it's Siblings of the Gourdkins! I think that like many siblings, they won't be carbon copies of each other, but will have a number of common characteristics. The gourd patch has become an inpenetrable jungle, but when I last saw some of the SotG, they were elongated ovals, and white, but didn't have the ridges. We'll know how they look soon!

I've been busy, but I did carry my phone out to the garden for a quick picture after the discussion on volunteers. DH's ragweed spraying took out a couple volunteers (one that was making really tall, elongated bicolor pumpkins :( ). But this one survived-- a pretty cool pear-shaped orange and black bicolor. It's the only one of pumpkin plants that has given up for the season, but it made 9 medium-small (a little bigger than they appear in the picture, I think) fruits before it finished.
View attachment 721423 View attachment 721424
Thank you.
Those little bicolors are soooo cute!
Can't wait to see The Siblings of the Gourds...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Thanks! They're actually carve-able sized, most just over a foot tall. The two earliest ones to form are only about 9", but still bigger than my pie pumpkins.
We had hail in the general area last night. I went out and put rubber doormats over a few of the biggest pumpkins to try to protect them, but the hail missed us, anyway. Thank goodness for that!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks Oojen - we've really been having fun creating our pumpkin & plant monsters. Hubby loves the Little Shop of Horrors and exclaims: Feed Me & feed me now every time he walks by.
Other then that there's not much to report. All the pumpkins are harvested and stacked. Not many big pumpkins survived this year so I'm going to have to buy some.

Funny short story:
I put a plastic black cat on a stack of pumpkins. This caused a fox to become very alarmed last night. He was running back and forth on our front walkway barking at it. Foxes really don't bother with cats but the poor fox could not figure out why the cat didn't move.

Attachments

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Thanks Oojen - we've really been having fun creating our pumpkin & plant monsters. Hubby loves the Little Shop of Horrors and exclaims: Feed Me & feed me now every time he walks by.
Other then that there's not much to report. All the pumpkins are harvested and stacked. Not many big pumpkins survived this year so I'm going to have to buy some.

Funny short story:
I put a plastic black cat on a stack of pumpkins. This caused a fox to become very alarmed last night. He was running back and forth on our front walkway barking at it. Foxes really don't bother with cats but the poor fox could not figure out why the cat didn't move.
LOL!!!! Poor fox! (That looks cute!)

1141 - 1160 of 1239 Posts