Halloween Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1239 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

I've got to grow those daisy gourds next year and I love your kitty
Thank you...Ziva kitty says thank you, too!

The Daisy Gourds are awesome...I'm so glad that out of the baby plants I chose to grow and not thin, the two I kept were different varieties.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Ok, here I go... 😂
Kakugori -- Cool volunteer! I have a couple volunteers that just started within the last couple weeks, too. It's odd that the seeds held off germinating until just recently.

Burn, Baby, Burn-- I was absolutely serious when I said I might dig a fire-break and burn my garden. It's not close to any structures, so I should be able to get away with it. It's just a matter of having a day that's dry enough to burn the rubble BUT not windy enough to carry any burning matter away. That doesn't happen a lot after the first frost.
And I have Killer potential! I'm not careless, but I'll dig out the big guns when it's that or lose my crop. I've got some good little environmental bellwethers -- lots of earthworms, hunting beetles, native bees, my own honey bees, butterflies/caterpillars, and even nesting birds in the garden, so I know it's a pretty healthy system. Key is to target specific pests at specific times in specific ways, rather than just dumping on the chems randomly.

Your decorating, and your pumpkins, are beautiful, Kdestra! I love the variety of shapes and colors.
I'm so glad you got a good harvest, WitchyKitty! They look so beautiful all cleaned up and grouped!
My mixed gourds patch has gotten impenetrable, but once things die down a little, I'll be sure to report back on the white gourds/gourdkins (Children of the Gourdkins?).
Ziva is adorable! I love that she claimed the pumpkins for her own.

Pumpkins on a Stick-- If you can leave them in place until they get dark red-orange, they're most likely to keep nicely. We're getting rain every day. If you're getting the same, you might be better off to pick them medium orange and bring them in. I don't exactly have vast experience drying them-- I only got a few, but the riper they were, the better/prettier. This year they're all still green!
UnOrthodOx -- I never had thorns on any of mine either. I have had other varieties of eggplant with thorns, though. It could be a variable trait if some sources describe them.
Kdestra-- If you don't mind year-old seed and you just want to try a few daisy gourds, lmk and I'll be happy to share. If you want to get your own pkt, I won't be offended, but I'd much rather share than waste, and I don't think I'll be planting the entire rest of the pack next year.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Ok, here I go... 😂
Kakugori -- Cool volunteer! I have a couple volunteers that just started within the last couple weeks, too. It's odd that the seeds held off germinating until just recently.

Burn, Baby, Burn-- I was absolutely serious when I said I might dig a fire-break and burn my garden. It's not close to any structures, so I should be able to get away with it. It's just a matter of having a day that's dry enough to burn the rubble BUT not windy enough to carry any burning matter away. That doesn't happen a lot after the first frost.
And I have Killer potential! I'm not careless, but I'll dig out the big guns when it's that or lose my crop. I've got some good little environmental bellwethers -- lots of earthworms, hunting beetles, native bees, my own honey bees, butterflies/caterpillars, and even nesting birds in the garden, so I know it's a pretty healthy system. Key is to target specific pests at specific times in specific ways, rather than just dumping on the chems randomly.

Your decorating, and your pumpkins, are beautiful, Kdestra! I love the variety of shapes and colors.
I'm so glad you got a good harvest, WitchyKitty! They look so beautiful all cleaned up and grouped!
My mixed gourds patch has gotten impenetrable, but once things die down a little, I'll be sure to report back on the white gourds/gourdkins (Children of the Gourdkins?).
Ziva is adorable! I love that she claimed the pumpkins for her own.

Pumpkins on a Stick-- If you can leave them in place until they get dark red-orange, they're most likely to dry nicely. We're getting rain every day. If you're getting the same, you might be better off to pick them medium orange and bring them in. I don't exactly have vast experience drying them-- I only got a few, but the riper they were, the better/prettier they dried. This year they're all still green!
UnOrthodOx -- I never had thorns on any of mine either. I have had other varieties of eggplant with thorns, though. It could be a variable trait if some sources describe them.
Kdestra-- If you don't mind year-old seed and you just want to try a few daisy gourds, lmk and I'll be happy to share. If you want to get your own pkt, I won't be offended, but I'd much rather share than waste, and I don't think I'll be planting the entire rest of the pack next year.
Lol! Children of the gourdkins, lol. Well, technically, since the seeds I sent you were from the white pumpkin that I took seeds from to plant, they would be brothers and sisters!! I hope you get some to grow and mature!
Kdestra, my Daisy Gourds came from ooojen, too, so if you want to try some and you like mine, take her up on her offer!!!

PoaS...so, you think I should pick those red ones? What do I do with them to dry them??

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I planted 3 daisy gourds, and they're all different, too. They kind of had to fend for themselves along a fence-line, but I like the way they look there.
I got a cup-shaped orange and yellow, a slightly bumpy orange and white, and a really variable green and white...sometimes with a splash of orange.

20190919_162243[1].jpg 20190919_161543[1].jpg

20190919_161612[1].jpg 20190919_174029[1].jpg

20190919_173950[1].jpg 20190919_162049[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
WitchyKitty-- That's a tough call, but I think I'd pick the red ones if you're expecting much humid or rainy weather in the upcoming week. You can cut a bit of stalk with the "pumpkin" on it, or if there are others you don't want to disturb, you can just cut the little fruit stem and leave the plant stalk. Put it somewhere (hang it, if that works for you and you haven't cut the entire stem...a little thread or wire works) with good air circulation, and with a little luck it should last nicely for you. They should keep their color through Thanksgiving.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
WitchyKitty-- That's a tough call, but I think I'd pick the red ones if you're expecting much humid or rainy weather in the upcoming week. You can cut a bit of stalk with the "pumpkin" on it, or if there are others you don't want to disturb, you can just cut the little fruit stem and leave the plant stalk. Put it somewhere (hang it, if that works for you and you haven't cut the entire stem...a little thread or wire works) with good air circulation, and with a little luck it should last nicely for you. They should keep their color through Thanksgiving.
Okay, I'll go out and get those two really red ones in the morning, then hope for the best on the rest that they all ripen together so I can get full stems. Thank you!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Somehow I missed this - sorry.

I'd love to have a few seeds. Do you want to trade?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
I wonder...if I save some seeds from my Daisy Gourds, maybe I'll get some cool half orange/half green ones, next year, from the cross pollination of the two?!

I put my little pumpkin with the blowout in the back and the nibbled Daisy gourd out on the front porch. as a test..we will see if the squirrels go after either of them...and, for now, until they either rot or get eaten, they can happily be Fall decor!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I planted 3 daisy gourds, and they're all different, too. They kind of had to fend for themselves along a fence-line, but I like the way they look there.
I got a cup-shaped orange and yellow, a slightly bumpy orange and white, and a really variable green and white...sometimes with a splash of orange.

View attachment 720793 View attachment 720794

View attachment 720795 View attachment 720797

View attachment 720796 View attachment 720798
Liking this isn't enough

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wonder...if I save some seeds from my Daisy Gourds, maybe I'll get some cool half orange/half green ones, next year, from the cross pollination of the two?!

I put my little pumpkin with the blowout in the back and the nibbled Daisy gourd out on the front porch. as a test..we will see if the squirrels go after either of them...and, for now, until they either rot or get eaten, they can happily be Fall decor!
Best of luck with squirrels

·
Registered
868 Posts
I extend the offer of a few seeds, again. Just as long as I have a few left for myself...
Thank you. I will take you up on the offer. I hope they feel wonderfully procreative this year and make lots of seeds. :) I will pass along my address in a private conversation. (Because we have to converse on the new site as opposed to message.) :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
That's what ooojen and I did! Trading seeds is fun!!
I mentioned it at the beginning of the season, but starting usually in February all around the Portland, Oregon area there are seed exchanges. People get together to exchange flower, vegetable, and fruit seeds they saved or had surplus of from the previous season. We love the one that's nearby us, and we've contemplated going to others just to share what we saved and see what else is out there. Some of the stuff is great fun. We grew black cherry tomatoes this year and warty pumpkins that have not one wart on them. :) This year, by the time the exchange rolls around, I think we'll have artichoke seeds, various zinnias, and bunches of gladiolas.

Later in the season, the group that sponsors the seed exchange has a plant sale and we always bring our surplus plants to give them to sell to someone else. It helps them out, and keeps the plants from just being tossed into a compost heap. We love exchanging seeds and this forum has given us so many fun hours of reading, if any of our pumpkins actually make it to the finish line full of seeds, we'll let you all know. We might not have anything fancy, but dang, if they made it through this year, they're going to be tough. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
The one thing we've found about our squash seeds is they're never quite like what we saved from the previous year. Pumpkins are a bit truer to form, but still there are pumpkins that look like nothing we've ever planted. We plant a few store bought seeds if we really want something to be true to the package, but the planting of all the rest is for fun, so seeing strange things growing is half the enjoyment.

We always turn our pumpkins this way and that trying to get their best side forward. A shim here of fake leaves, leaning them up against the railing because they can't quite stand on their own; it's all good. They worked so hard to have their day on display, we do our best to make sure they shine. (Sometimes by carving them up and putting a candle inside.) :)

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
The one thing we've found about our squash seeds is they're never quite like what we saved from the previous year. Pumpkins are a bit truer to form, but still there are pumpkins that look like nothing we've ever planted. We plant a few store bought seeds if we really want something to be true to the package, but the planting of all the rest is for fun, so seeing strange things growing is half the enjoyment.
Yeah, that's how we got our white ghost looking "gourdkins" last year. We found a white pumpkin missing it's stem on the side of the road by my work (No houses or displays it could've come from, we checked first before taking it) the year before. I grabbed it up, took it home and set another orange smaller pumpkin on top of it to both hide it's missing stem and make a cute display of stacked pumpkins. It was saved and got to be a festive decoration instead of being smashed on the road! (I tend to "adopt" misfits, lol.)

Anywho, at the end of the season, I took seeds from it and saved them. Next year, planted them and got my odd, white gourdkins that I ended up painting as ghosts, lol. I sent ooojen some of the seeds when she sent me the daisy gourds and PoaS seeds. We will see if she gets any and if they end up being the same!

(Oddly, we found a blue Jarrahdale pumpkin on the side of the road at my husbands work around the same time, too. That was explainable, though, as he works near the pumpkin fields...probably fell off a truck load of them. It had some road rash on one side, but seemed fine, otherwise, so we took it home, turned the rough side to the back and used it with our porch display! Squirrels didn't even try to eat it...probably because those things have skin like deeeeeep cement, lol! I saved and planted some of those, too, and they ended up being just like the parent, which made me happy, as I love those pumpkins!!)

That was my only year gambling by planting only seeds I harvested, myself, unknowing what I would end up with if they were cross pollinated or not. It was fun waiting to see what I'd get...though when my white pumpkin seeds started producing weird, ribbed bottle shaped white things, I was quite surprised and amused!!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
We always turn our pumpkins this way and that trying to get their best side forward. A shim here of fake leaves, leaning them up against the railing because they can't quite stand on their own; it's all good. They worked so hard to have their day on display, we do our best to make sure they shine. (Sometimes by carving them up and putting a candle inside.) :)
I do that, too...again with my adopting misfits and displaying them the best I can. That's why my mini pumpkin with the blowout hole in the back and nibbled gourd will stay on display as long as possible!! They deserve love, too!

1121 - 1140 of 1239 Posts