Halloween Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1230 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
If I was you I'd start going to farmer's markets and talk to the people with pumpkins.
Ask lots of questions like: where are you growing? Are you closer/further from the coast? Are your pumpkins open pollinated or cross pollinated? Etc. Etc. If you like their pumpkins- then buy one or two and save the seeds. You're much better off saving and growing local seeds then buying something from far away. Although if you have a seed company that specializes in your area that might be a better place to start. Be warned.... growing pumpkins is not for the faint of heart. Everything wants to eat your pumpkins 🎃
The farmers market here is pretty lame. And most of the vendors come from a few miles inns. But I think I can pull it off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You guys continue to remind me how fortunate I am. For all the assorted problems our location has, we miss a LOT of the pest problems.

The biggest issue we have right now is Rats. But that's largely because everyone seems to want to raise their own chickens now. Gee, let's toss free food around and be surprised when rats come!

Fortunately, we have a pest control professional living here. Seriously, I've known a lot of cats, but this one has a GIFT. 8-10 confirmed kills a week, and that's just what we KNOW. I was a little surprised when the folks in the neighborhood were talking about the rat problem, because I hadn't seen any, so I went to check. There are presently 5 rat heads rotting in her death pile (she never eats the heads and always deposits them behind the shed), but no signs of any rats living anywhere near our yard. (we scoop that pile up once a week)
Death pile - your cat is hard core! Mine go after flies and spiders that make it into the house and wish they could go after the birds in the yard but honestly, they wouldn't know what to do with one of they caught it 😆

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You guys continue to remind me how fortunate I am. For all the assorted problems our location has, we miss a LOT of the pest problems.
That was us a few years ago, too, but no more. In a couple years SVB went from zero to all but two of my pumpkin plants affected. Japanese Beetles were new this year, though not common (yet). Voles and pocket gophers were around, but they didn't make any trouble in the garden until last year (DH trapped the latter, and another this spring.) Rootworm beetles have grown to ridiculous numbers, and appear earlier than they used to. This was the first year I had a significant amount of downy mildew in the patch. It's not in exactly the same place as last year, but I suppose anywhere within a mile or so is too close. Squash bugs crop up on occasion, but they're one pest I didn't have this year. (Yes, fowldarr, as Kdestra said, everything wants to eat your pumpkins. But if you're west of the Rockies, you'll probaby miss a few of the pests.)

I have hens here, too, and yeah, you have to be REAL careful about leaving feed out! When it's not bitterly cold, they get fed layer ration, then let out to range around and find tidbits of their own (grass, bugs) and their food gets put away until evening when they can eat ration agan-- before they're shut up and the food is covered for the night. What's more, the coop is quite a long way from the house.
But -- Da Girls can be fierce!

It looks like Big Moose is one to watch! I'll give Wyatt's one more chance, because it took such a hit from herbicide drift this year...but a lot of the flowers are hermaphroditic and won't set fruit. It's trying real hard, though! It does have one fruit that's ~6-7"⌀.

Fowldarr-- that's the spirit! Conventional Wisdom and Common Online Advice say your pumpkins won't do much in cool weather. They say to plant them out after night-time lows are above 55. (Hah! As if I ever wait that long!) Also, "If the temperature is too cool (below 70) the pollen tube grows too slowly in the female and never makes it to the ovules in time." If the "below 70" part were the case, I wouldn't have half the pumpkins forming/ripening that I do now. I just pollinated one a few days ago on a day that didn't hit 60 for a high (the next day was about the same...and it set. Its chances for ripening before it freezes are slim, but it definitely set.) The point is, it's good that you don't let self-proclaimed experts' advice put you off. There's always a learning curve, and different things work in different areas.
If you don't have good farmers' markets, maybe your local extension agency could recommend varieties that might work for you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
🎃🎃🎃🎃 all my money is Ooojen's chickens🎃🎃🎃🎃

Last night, the man who lives next door went out of his way to tell me how much he likes the pumpkin arch and then a garden buddy of mine said she loved it! But I've gotta be honest - I think it looks like hell. The temps soared into the mid 90s again today, most of the leaves shriveled and fried. I keep telling myself this is what's supposed to happen. In about 3 weeks it will be October then the fun will begin.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There are presently 5 rat heads rotting in her death pile (she never eats the heads and always deposits them behind the shed), but no signs of any rats living anywhere near our yard. (we scoop that pile up once a week)
Obviously you've never learned the important lesson from Vlad the Impaler. You are supposed to take the rat heads and put them on a pike where they will rot until bone. This will show the other rats what awaits them. Those who do not learn from history will more than likely miss out on all the creepy things they can do. (Or something like that. I forget the exact words.) :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
So, while at Home Depot today to buy paints and things for a Halloween prop we're working on, I stumbled on this outside. To add insult to injury that I can't seem to get my corn or pumpkins to grow this year, I see these millet plants. There was talk about them early in the spring, and I know everyone growing them had little success. So, here they are sitting outside Home Depot mocking my desire to grow them next year with their $15 price tag. Oh... sure... you can grow those easy. Just wait for Home Depot to put them out first.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I love the Arch with Extras! It's beautiful!

15 bucks for a millet plant? Yikes!

We barely made the 60s again today (40s for tonight) and we've had 4" of rain in the last 3 days. The pumpkin vines are still in good shape, so I hate to harvest, but I'm getting concerned about pumpkins rotting on the ground. Rain predicted again for tomorrow, but slightly warmer. This kind of weather is what trashed a large % of my bottle gourds late summer last year (bacterial rot).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey, thanks everybody for you kind words about the arch. Its really not difficult. Just get a hog panel fence, bend it into an arch and make sure its extensively supported. Oh and don't make the mistake I made with seeds. Make sure the seeds you plant weren't crosspolinated. Or else you'll end up like me & ripping everything out then starting over.
I bought a few different chemicals also, "bloom set spray" and a fungi-oil from Bon Neem.
I would have lost everything if it wasn't for those chems. Btw. We fixed the light problems: a new fuse and a few replacement lights 🎃

Edited to add light picture

Yay. The lights are working

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
So, while at Home Depot today to buy paints and things for a Halloween prop we're working on, I stumbled on this outside. To add insult to injury that I can't seem to get my corn or pumpkins to grow this year, I see these millet plants. There was talk about them early in the spring, and I know everyone growing them had little success. So, here they are sitting outside Home Depot mocking my desire to grow them next year with their $15 price tag. Oh... sure... you can grow those easy. Just wait for Home Depot to put them out first.

View attachment 719846
About how tall were those? It might actually be worth it for some of my ideas...gonna go check mine.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Exactly 3 millets grew for me ☠☠☠

My corn was having a hard time growing this year too. It's a small patch about 50 ears ( Idk if this is feasible for everyone) but I started watering the corn with 20-20-20 once a week. Woe! It shot out've the ground. It's over 10ft tall. The squirrels did a lot of damage but I have plenty for Halloween this year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey, thanks everybody for you kind words about the arch. Its really not difficult. Just get a hog panel fence, bend it into an arch and make sure its extensively supported. Oh and don't make the mistake I made with seeds. Make sure the seeds you plant weren't crosspolinated. Or else you'll end up like me & ripping everything out then starting over.
I bought a few different chemicals also, "bloom set spray" and a fungi-oil from Bon Neem.
I would have lost everything if it wasn't for those chems. Btw. We fixed the light problems: a new fuse and a few replacement lights 🎃

Beautiful!! Such an awesome idea.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Kdestra, that is so cool!!!

1061 - 1080 of 1230 Posts