Halloween Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just by comparing it to the surroundings I would guess 165-185. Please Kdestra get me the measurements so we can have fun with this!!!!!!!! That does not look like a pumpkin that requires a forklift. Below is 425lbs.
I understand how a giant Sequoia can grow to an amazing size in thousands of years, but I am still in awe of how a pumpkin grows to such sizes in a single season. I haven't see weight gain that shocking since the last time I tried a diet that told me I could eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mayor - Wow! That's an impressive bunch of gourds and squashes!

My 3 pumpkins are growing well. The small one just took off the last few days! I put one of those small plastic pots that you get your seedlings in for scale. The largest two are bigger than any I had last year so I'm happy. About 3 days ago, the vines started putting out a bunch of male flowers but no females 🤔
My 3 JBLs are doing well and starting to turn a little orange. You can see in one pic that the vines have chosen to hang onto a stick for some reason. I don't even know how that stick got there! I find it amusing the things the vines will grab.
IMG_20190909_161725.jpg IMG_20190909_161755.jpg IMG_20190909_161654.jpg IMG_20190909_161526.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was just looking at my pumpkin and gourd vines and the main vines, themselves, are in better shape than I thought...not great shape, but better. Once I find time and am up to it, I may go out and remove all the leaves and just leave the vines and fruit.
That's what I'm working on too. Once the leaves turn yellow or get mildew - I cut them off. I'm also harvesting other jbl vines and placing them in empty spots. On October 1st. I plan to add fall leaves, arrange black earns in front of arch, bundle corn and maybe add a few light up pumpkins

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Chubstuff, you crack me up. I love reading all of your witty/zingy posts🎃🎃🎃

Ladyfrog - your pumpkins are very pretty. All my flowers are male too. Maybe its because of weather or getting darker earlier.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wouldn't say the vines are very green, lol...they are almost done for, too...but my stems aren't turning. We will see over the next several days, as our temps are jumping up drastically until Friday. I like to have them to decorate for September, too...my JBLs would normally be ready and picked, by now. This year has been very weird, though...

The whole thing now looks like an eyesore, lol. I just want to harvest my babies and cut down all the dead brown or mildew covered leaves...I'm getting impatient!
I’m right there with you WitchyKitty. On Sunday I just wanted to cut everything off and start clearing out the ugly, dead vines. It was hard to leave the last few on for another week.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Corn donation from the neighbor.

It's hard to get perspective on this thing, our largest. That's a 48" pallet to the back right. The grass is 12' or more.

I saw a few other small big moose pumpkins have recently set as well, might even make it.

Volunteer. I always seem to manage to get one of these 'frankenstein' shaped volunteers every year.

Early Giant hiding amongst the weeds. Looks like the 2 plants that actually survived made 4 pumpkins.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That's what I'm working on too. Once the leaves turn yellow or get mildew - I cut them off. I'm also harvesting other jbl vines and placing them in empty spots. On October 1st. I plan to add fall leaves, arrange black earns in front of arch, bundle corn and maybe add a few light up pumpkins
Here's a couple of votes for adding the light up pumpkins. There's something charming about the arch, so it won't suffer being even a bit more so. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,049 (Edited)
Kedestra and anyone interested in the three pumpkin measurements needed for weight estimation, I have attached the Giant Pumpkin Commonwealth's video on how to measure. GPC is the giant pumpkin organization that certifies weigh-offs around the world.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Kedestra and anyone interested in the three pumpkin measurements need for weight estimation, I have attached the Giant Pumpkin Commonwealth's video on how to measure. GPC is the giant pumpkin organization that certifies weigh-offs around the world.
When I grow up I want to be a pumpkin. What must it be like to have people falling all over themselves every time you put on a few more pounds?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Usually I'm a live and let live but the freaking voles are eating my JBLs that are on the ground. I was saving those long vines for the arch. I'm not putting out poison but I've collected a lot of rocks and also filling their holes with water.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Usually I'm a live and let live but the freaking voles are eating my JBLs that are on the ground. I was saving those long vines for the arch. I'm not putting out poison but I've collected a lot of rocks and also filling their holes with water.
We don't use poisons either, but water has never seemed to deter any of our burrowing animals. Perhaps it's because in Oregon the deluges of rain are so common that they're used to water spilling down the openings. I will watch the water flowing into their holes for minutes and never fill up. I get bored with the whole affair far faster than they do. :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
UGH, Voles! They're kind of cute, and I never minded them before last year. They not only ate a large pumpkin (I suspect them, anyway. It had to be a smallish rodent) they also (and this part I know) lived in my gourd patch that grew up around the base of one of my pear trees. They did so much tunneling and nibbling around the roots of the tree that they killed it. I was not a happy girl.
I wouldn't poison them, though. Too many desirable things might get hold of the carcass and wind up with some of the poison second-hand.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
You guys continue to remind me how fortunate I am. For all the assorted problems our location has, we miss a LOT of the pest problems.

The biggest issue we have right now is Rats. But that's largely because everyone seems to want to raise their own chickens now. Gee, let's toss free food around and be surprised when rats come!

Fortunately, we have a pest control professional living here. Seriously, I've known a lot of cats, but this one has a GIFT. 8-10 confirmed kills a week, and that's just what we KNOW. I was a little surprised when the folks in the neighborhood were talking about the rat problem, because I hadn't seen any, so I went to check. There are presently 5 rat heads rotting in her death pile (she never eats the heads and always deposits them behind the shed), but no signs of any rats living anywhere near our yard. (we scoop that pile up once a week)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I really hope to get a pumpkin patch going next year. I hear the conditions aren't optimal where I'm at (cool and humid, but a long growing season), but I'm gonna give it a go anyway!
If I was you I'd start going to farmer's markets and talk to the people with pumpkins.
Ask lots of questions like: where are you growing? Are you closer/further from the coast? Are your pumpkins open pollinated or cross pollinated? Etc. Etc. If you like their pumpkins- then buy one or two and save the seeds. You're much better off saving and growing local seeds then buying something from far away. Although if you have a seed company that specializes in your area that might be a better place to start. Be warned.... growing pumpkins is not for the faint of heart. Everything wants to eat your pumpkins 🎃

·
Registered
735 Posts
You guys continue to remind me how fortunate I am. For all the assorted problems our location has, we miss a LOT of the pest problems.

The biggest issue we have right now is Rats. But that's largely because everyone seems to want to raise their own chickens now. Gee, let's toss free food around and be surprised when rats come!

Fortunately, we have a pest control professional living here. Seriously, I've known a lot of cats, but this one has a GIFT. 8-10 confirmed kills a week, and that's just what we KNOW. I was a little surprised when the folks in the neighborhood were talking about the rat problem, because I hadn't seen any, so I went to check. There are presently 5 rat heads rotting in her death pile (she never eats the heads and always deposits them behind the shed), but no signs of any rats living anywhere near our yard. (we scoop that pile up once a week)

We lost our big mouser cat several years ago (miss him every day) He hunted voles!!! He'd catch them and it was rather shocking!!! We used to say: Vole's Breath?!?!? There's nothing more suspicious then voles breath!!!

1041 - 1060 of 1239 Posts