Halloween Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1095 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,021 (Edited)
How about 415 pounds.
I knew a 415 pound pumpkin, and the 415 lb pumpkin was a friend of mine, and let me tell you, you are no 415 pound pumpkin. (Impersonating Benson/Quail debate where Quail was no JFK. I really hate dating myself, but at least my memory is still good, lol.)

Just by comparing it to the surroundings I would guess 165-185. Please Kdestra get me the measurements so we can have fun with this!!!!!!!! That does not look like a pumpkin that requires a forklift. Below is 425lbs.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,427 Posts
For those growing pumpkins on a stick -- How are they doing? I have nice-looking plants, but they don't seem to be getting pollinated very well. Bees are busy on the other eggplants, but the PoaS don't appear to be drawing them in. I only got a few of the eggplant/pumpkins last year, but I thought that was because of the corn collapsing on the plants during a wind storm. Anybody having better luck than I?
I was about to ask...I have three tall plants with the little eggplants that look like pumpkins all over them...but they are all still green. When do they turn colors? When do I harvest them? What do I do with them? Lol...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Take a cloth tape measure with you next time. Measure the equator (circumference). Then measure from side to side all the way down to the table. Then measure front to back all the way to the table. Give me the results and I should be able to get you in the ballpark plus or minus 15%. :)
I will🎃 Also planning to look under the table cloth to see what its sitting on.
One thing that really irritated me is that people are digging their fingernails into it!?!?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I knew a 415 pound pumpkin, and the 415 lb pumpkin was a friend of mine, and let me tell you, you are no 415 pound pumpkin. (Impersonating Benson/Quail debate where Quail was no JFK. I really hate dating myself, but at least my memory is still good, lol.)

Just by comparing it to the surroundings I would guess 165-185. Please Kdestra get me the measurements so we can have fun with this!!!!!!!! That does not look like a pumpkin that requires a forklift. Below is 425lbs.

View attachment 719082
Yeah, If that’s a 425 pumpkin, then I’m waaay off! That other one has to be under 200. Good call Col.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,026
One thing that really irritated me is that people are digging their fingernails into it!?!?
Same thing happened to my fair pumpkin last year. People/kids poke the pumpkin and their fingernails leave marks. I don't think it is intentional. I have seen signs around giant pumpkins that read "Please touch, but do not poke."

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Ugh, kids and their fingernails! There have been a couple times I've loaned some unusual plants to the local school's science classes for a day or two. Kids can't seem to restrain themselves from digging nail marks into orchid pseudobulbs or caudiciform bases- as well as pumpkins. I don't think it's malicious, just somehow it proves irresistible.
WitchyKitty-- I'm glad to hear that your PoaS are starting to color up! I think I have a couple that might be 1/4" diameter :LOL:. You can harvest as soon as they color up, but that's up to you. They'll dry if they get good air circulation-- and the riper they are, the more they'll keep their shape. They look really cute if you can get a branch with little "pumpkins" all along the stem. They're nice in dried or flower arrangements, or in wreaths-- whatever you like.

"I really hate dating myself, but at least my memory is still good, lol."
No worries, Col. Those of us old enough to get such references aren't about to ridicule, and the young whippersnappers who don't can just assume it reflects some esoteric knowlege. :giggle:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Picking Sunday morning to go to grocery store isn't the smartest idea ☠ ☠☠

We couldn't quite get the measuring tape underneath the pumpkin but got as close as we could. The pumpkin has approximately 130inche circumference, over 42inches from top to bottom & sits on top of 5 heavy duty black plastic crates.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Those are really pretty pumpkins Rigomortor. Best of luck growing them next year.

The pumpkin arch is dying and it makes me sad. Started the seeds last February and have been lovingly taking care of it. (managed to kill several SVBs & battle the powdery mildew)
It's more like a pet then a plant. It's still beautiful and the hooligans are adorable. I'll be cutting off the leaves and pruning some of the vines over the next few weeks. I'm also thinking about adding a few of the other JBL vines that are in the yard. Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Holy buckets, Mayor! ...and that's in addition to the overflowing table-load you showed us before?
Congratulations! You've had a very successful year! Excellent work! It looks like you'll have to sharpen up that pumpkin-carving knife.
Your gourds look great, too, and still more cushaws... Very impressive, and fun to see!
Is the bumpy elongated one another Big Max? I know you mentioned the bumpy one in your prior post was-- just curious.
Yep, I love seeing the success stories; I'm still fighting the battle! I had one more female bloom on Moranga today (the 4th of the entire season. Two set.) ...but it's not even going to hit 60 degrees, so breath not being held. They've got cold and rain in the forecast for most of the upcoming week. Mildew is rubbing its little figurative hands together in glee. It's already winning on the TN spinner and Bowl gourd vines. 😕 Wyatt's Wonder finally set a few fruits this week. Stubborn fool that I am, I was out there early pollinating and bagging the flowers (I mean, with net bags...) Hope springs eternal...

Rigormortor-- The seed packs look excellent! The pumpkins could share some genes with Rouge vif d'Etampes/Cinderella, by how they look. I hope they do well for you!
Kdestra-- It looks like your arch was very productive, as well as lovely. Do I understand correctly that you're going to display the pumpkins right where they are for a while (and add the JBLs to the lot)? That should be excellent, especially with the lights!

WitchyKitty, did you wind up harvesting your pumpkins and gourds? How did things turn out? I know they died sooner than you would have liked, but you said some of your stuff looked harvest-ready. I hope you got a decent crop.

·
Super Moderator
5,575 Posts
Great haul Mayor!

Rains the last 2 days, more expected over the week, my patch is going to be toast with mildew at the end of that. Maybe 1-2 weeks left.

I noticed today as we were bundling corn stalks (yes, a neighbor donated their corn stalks this weekend) the first of the big moose pumpkins has turned a reddish color. I'm a little worried it'll be rotting by the time we harvest, but it's so TINY compared to the others, when at the time it stopped growing it was the biggest pumpkin i'd ever grown.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,035 (Edited)
Picking Sunday morning to go to grocery store isn't the smartest idea ☠ ☠☠

We couldn't quite get the measuring tape underneath the pumpkin but got as close as we could. The pumpkin has approximately 130inche circumference, over 42inches from top to bottom & sits on top of 5 heavy duty black plastic crates.
No need to go underneath the pumpkin. The circ. sounds spot on. The other two are just from side to side and front to back. It looks like your top to bottom is half the side to side. So 42 x 2 would be a side to side of 84 which sound reasonable. just need the back over the top to the front. 130 circ. is quite impressive, it might be bigger than I thought.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,427 Posts
ooojen, I am trying to leave my gourds and mini pumpkins on the vines as long as possible, as their stems are all still green...even though the leaves and vines are toast. They say as long as the stems are still green, the vine is still giving nutrients to the pumpkin...even if all leaves are dead and vines look terrible.

Leaving them on a bit longer is fine, but I worry that the weight of the ones hanging across between the cages/towers will finally break the weakened vines and all my gourds/pumpkins could go crashing down. We will see. I don't even have a rough count, yet...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Good that they're still green-vined and able to do some more finishing out! I like to leave mine as long as I can, too, but I always feel a little torn. It would be nice to decorate with some of them now that Sept. is here, but I don't want to do anything that will keep them from lasting until Halloween.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,427 Posts
I wouldn't say the vines are very green, lol...they are almost done for, too...but my stems aren't turning. We will see over the next several days, as our temps are jumping up drastically until Friday. I like to have them to decorate for September, too...my JBLs would normally be ready and picked, by now. This year has been very weird, though...

The whole thing now looks like an eyesore, lol. I just want to harvest my babies and cut down all the dead brown or mildew covered leaves...I'm getting impatient!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ooojen, You're correct - I'm keeping the gourds on the arch. Unfortunately last time we checked only had half the lights working.

Col. So. If I did the math correctly, I think the pumpkin is around 316lbs. I'm not sure my measurements were good or if I did the equation probably.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,427 Posts
I was just looking at my pumpkin and gourd vines and the main vines, themselves, are in better shape than I thought...not great shape, but better. Once I find time and am up to it, I may go out and remove all the leaves and just leave the vines and fruit.

1021 - 1040 of 1095 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
31 Participants
chubstuff
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing