Halloween Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1239 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Some JBLs are trying to escape and play in the street along with a wayward French Heirloom type pumpkin. They are literally growing above the curb. My front yard is all garden (rosemary, lavender, zinnias, fruite trees, etc) and I just don't have the heart to rip these naughty pumpkin vines out. It's a good thing my neighbors like the garden because I've heard about people being reported for front gardens. It also helps that I give all of the neighbors JBLs in October... its kind've a bribe

The PattyPans from Bakers Creek were harvested. We ate loads of them over summer & let these grow for fall. I'm a little bummed none of them turned green like the photos.

2 new french heirloom types popped up - hope they survive. Theres also a new oval pumpkin

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Some JBLs are trying to escape and play in the street along with a wayward French Heirloom type pumpkin. They are literally growing above the curb. My front yard is all garden (rosemary, lavender, zinnias, fruite trees, etc) and I just don't have the heart to rip these naughty pumpkin vines out. It's a good thing my neighbors like the garden because I've heard about people being reported for front gardens. It also helps that I give all of the neighbors JBLs in October... its kind've a bribe

The PattyPans from Bakers Creek were harvested. We ate loads of them over summer & let these grow for fall. I'm a little bummed none of them turned green like the photos.

2 new french heirloom types popped up - hope they survive. Theres also a new oval pumpkin
Kdestra, I’m loving the pumpkin pics! We’ve hardly had any picture updates lately, and this is the time of year to be posting them! Let’s see what everyone has.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I’m loving the pumpkin pics! We’ve hardly had any picture updates lately, and this is the time of year to be posting them! Let’s see what everyone has.
I gave it all I had a week ago! Late in the season I always feel like I'm the kid still filling in the last page of the test when all the other kids have handed theirs in. Everyone else harvests while I'm still waiting for my plants to finish up.
Galeux d'Eysines (Peanut) was very late to put out female flowers, and the one fruit was pretty tiny last week. It has been making up for lost time, though. It's already starting to get little sugar ruptures...the little things that will be the "peanuts" (or mangy patches if you want to go with the original idea 😂 ).

20190905_221938[1].jpg
I'm really amazed at the active growth of my plants and at how many little pumpkins are setting, in spite of our low temperatures. We've had several days that didn't break 70 for a high, and our lows have been in the low 50s, or even the 40s a couple times. Now that they've gotten over their herbicide setbacks, the plants are ready to grow and produce, but time isn't on their side. I'll be satisfied if the half-grown ones can finish out.
Gourds, just for fun:
20190826_192437.jpg 20190829_204347.jpg 20190903_113612[1].jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
I gave it all I had a week ago! Late in the season I always feel like I'm the kid still filling in the last page of the test when all the other kids have handed theirs in. Everyone else harvests while I'm still waiting for my plants to finish up.
Galeux d'Eysines (Peanut) was very late to put out female flowers, and the one fruit was pretty tiny last week. It has been making up for lost time, though. It's already starting to get little sugar ruptures...the little things that will be the "peanuts" (or mangy patches if you want to go with the original idea 😂 ).

View attachment 718782
I'm really amazed at the active growth of my plants and at how many little pumpkins are setting, in spite of our low temperatures. We've had several days that didn't break 70 for a high, and our lows have been in the low 50s, or even the 40s a couple times. Now that they've gotten over their herbicide setbacks, the plants are ready to grow and produce, but time isn't on their side. I'll be satisfied if the half-grown ones can finish out.
Gourds, just for fun:
View attachment 718786 View attachment 718787 View attachment 718788
I love the first gourd that’s covered! It looks great!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Thanks, Mayor! Funny thing is, that's not even a variety I deliberately planted. It sure is the dominant variety in the patch, though. I like the look, especially of this particular one that grew up into the tree (kind of like a bumpy Apple. Many of them are longer and thinner.) It's one of the Bule types, as is the middle one--but the middle one was a seed type I purchased...and it's nowhere near as productive as the type in the first shot. If we had another couple months of good weather, I'd have gazillions of the first kind; there are literally hundreds of gourds ~ 2-3" long. They were late to start and are slow to mature. I'll get a few good ones, I think (and hope). It would be interesting to see what they'd do in a warmer climate!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ladyfrog - sometimes I wonder what wont people get mad about. Nice pictures btw!

Sorry about not posting more pictures. We've been super busy since getting home & then school started.

Ooojen it's been a crazy year. The growing season seemed to take forever. My poblano pepper plants are nearly 9 months old and the fruit isn't ripening. They're just out in the garden loitering green.

Now for something fun. Our local Harris Teeter -aka- Kroger is having a "Guess the weight of the giant pumpkin contest

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ladyfrog - sometimes I wonder what wont people get mad about. Nice pictures btw!

Sorry about not posting more pictures. We've been super busy since getting home & then school started.

Ooojen it's been a crazy year. The growing season seemed to take forever. My poblano pepper plants are nearly 9 months old and the fruit isn't ripening. They're just out in the garden loitering green.

Now for something fun. Our local Harris Teeter -aka- Kroger is having a "Guess the weight of the giant pumpkin contest
How about 415 pounds.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Ladyfrog and Kdestra-- It's nice to see more pumpkins coming along!
How fun that the store is doing a pumpkin weight guessing contest! I have no idea about what they weigh, but I think it's a great seasonal idea!

My chilis have been dragging, too. I even planted out a year-old Brazilian starfish that I'd dug last fall. I though a solid root system and some healthy foliage would give it a jump start. It just started ripening fruit last week.
Decorative corn is ripening, so that's good. But something, most likely birds, are eating the ears from the tips, so I had to pick most of it.
I tried growing Job's tears when I was a kid, but never had much luck. I gave them a go again all these years later, and it's working much better! The green colors dull as the seeds dry, but they stay quite pretty. I'll try a shakere with one of last year's gourds if all goes well. They're still ripening, but here are just a few:

20190905_172357[1].jpg . . 20190905_210828[1].jpg

For those growing pumpkins on a stick -- How are they doing? I have nice-looking plants, but they don't seem to be getting pollinated very well. Bees are busy on the other eggplants, but the PoaS don't appear to be drawing them in. I only got a few of the eggplant/pumpkins last year, but I thought that was because of the corn collapsing on the plants during a wind storm. Anybody having better luck than I?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020
Take a cloth tape measure with you next time. Measure the equator (circumference). Then measure from side to side all the way down to the table. Then measure front to back all the way to the table. Give me the results and I should be able to get you in the ballpark plus or minus 15%. :)

1001 - 1020 of 1239 Posts