Halloween Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
redrum
990 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have a huge display, so I take the week of Halloween off, and start on the 30th, maybe a few days ahead, depending what I'm doing.For 2017, I went to the nearby park and dragged 6-8 huge dead branches, dug holes along my front walk, and strung webbing in the branches. I liked it, but it was A PAIN, and nobody commented, so I will not be wasting time with that this year. I did get comments on my homemade 7 foot Frankenstein Monster, so he is getting a Bride this year. This pic is 90% done
brown 068.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not too early at all! I started early this year too based solely on not wanting to stress out for crunch time. Hey some one has to be first in the neighborhood ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
captbilly. He is great and I like the pit. Try not to focus on people do or do not comment on. Its about what makes you happy and what you like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look, if I'm not gonna get a back on the back, it's a waste of time. I used to put a huge display in my window, I got maybe one compliment a year. So I scaled it way back, and started putting big stuff outside. Way more compliments. And Bruce (I named my Creature Bruce after the monster on Hilarious House of Frightenstein ) scared 2 kids to the point that they didn't want to walk anywhere near him. That is what Halloween is all about.

Halloween 2011 2011-10-30 Pre- Halloween 003.jpg

Halloween 2016

2016-10-31 Halloween (4).jpg 2016-10-31 Halloween (3).jpg 2016-10-31 Halloween (21).jpg 2016-10-31 Halloween (23).jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wish I could set up early. I live in So California and we get super bad Santa Ana winds and every year the come around and always create a huge mess. I have learned to wait until 2 weeks or less. Even then I have casualties, they are just easier to manage. I am in one of the areas that gets hit pretty hard by the winds
We get absurd Santa Anas here, winds gusting over 50mph all the time. We just learned to build tough to withstand the winds. Last year we had some damage, this year, you could roll over things with a tank and you wouldn't hurt it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We start set up Labor Day weekend every year. We get the fence up and secure, then we dribble props out one or two at a time to keep people interested and coming back to see what we've done.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I TOTALLY get it! I am a mess with stress over thinking I don't have enough time already. This years is a new theme and the majority of the props are new and from scratch. Last year was a breeze with the same props/setup for the previous 5 years, as we had already worked out the kinks on everything.

We are prepping the props inside, building, rebuilding, painting, patching, creating. The house is in complete disarray. But the props don't actually go out until Oct 1.
I sure get it! That's how I am when it comes to setting up, I know exactly where every item goes and we have a lot of stuff. It's just so easy when you have it in your mind and know what goes where, but when it's a new setup I get pretty uptight trying to figure it out as I go along. Actually I believe that is what is making me procrastinate this season. I been buying stuff for the last 3-4 years that never came out of the boxes so I have no idea where stuff is going. I hate setting up without a plan.

To make this year easy and because of health issues I decided I had to compromise somewhere. I just spent the last year decorating my house with a western theme, so it's all cowboy stuff. My solution to an easy setup was to show that the Collins family has put together a collection of relics collected from their vast travels around the world. The showing at my house this year will be the presentation of what they have collected....the theme....the Collinwood Haunted Museum with a special showing called the All American Cowboy Expedition....that way I could leave everything up in the house tour and all the extra's would just be fill ins. Not sure how it's gonna come out but I sure have a lot of items to make it interesting....yup I'm stressed over it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your display is large you need to start early to get everything arranged where it goes. In my case it meant putting everything about where it goes then adjusting it, somethings to a completely different area once everything was out. then you have to fix things that don't work or got broken over the year. once it all looks good during the day you have to start checking it at night for lighting and fix that. so it could take a couple of weeks to get it up and looking like you want. Plus you won't see it but every day the local kids will be checking to see what is going on every day. should you find kids looking at the display ask them what they like and what they don't like and how would they change it. What do they want to see added. you might get some great ideas.:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll wait until at least next weekend. Just because I cringe when I see christmas stuff go up too early. I figure I'll return the favor in advance.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
We start putting things out October 1st, but we never complain that others start earlier. (We find others decorating encouraging as a matter of fact.) But, we’re working full time on creating props now. Putting stuff out would detract from our efforts to actually have more stuff to put out. We always overestimate our ability to make props quickly, so we try to give ourselves as much undisturbed time for working on them as possible.

If stores can have Christmas decorations being put out in September, I think you’re pretty safe putting out Halloween any time you feel like it. (For us, the perfect time for setting up would probably be right after Easter.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
We have tried everything to keep our stuff up but the winds always manage to come in and cause damage. You are also in So Cal. Do you know where the Cajon Pass is? We are not really close it, however it creates a wind tunnel so to speak that goes right through my front yard I think, lol. Honestly tho, it is the issue. It comes through there and the winds race up and down through there and I am in pathway. Its crazy how violent they are. My entire 2 story house shakes. I can not sleep when they are that bad. They have caused a lot of damage and not just to Halloween and Christmas Props

We get absurd Santa Anas here, winds gusting over 50mph all the time. We just learned to build tough to withstand the winds. Last year we had some damage, this year, you could roll over things with a tank and you wouldn't hurt it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
We have tried everything to keep our stuff up but the winds always manage to come in and cause damage. You are also in So Cal. Do you know where the Cajon Pass is? We are not really close it, however it creates a wind tunnel so to speak that goes right through my front yard I think, lol. Honestly tho, it is the issue. It comes through there and the winds race up and down through there and I am in pathway. Its crazy how violent they are. My entire 2 story house shakes. I can not sleep when they are that bad. They have caused a lot of damage and not just to Halloween and Christmas Props
Yup, I'm right by the pass. Last year, 75mph gusts literally ripped my roof off and I had to have it replaced with a new hurricane-rated roof. I just overbuild to an absurd degree. This year, all of my tombstones have 25lb bases to keep them in place. Those things aren't moving.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That’s what I’m doing this year. Building tombstones from wood with bases that are heavy and secure. Yea these winds are ridiculous. Good thing they were not going yesterday a big field right in the middle of a very busy area a block from my house caught on fire yesterday. They were able to get it out fast, but if those winds were going it would have been a HUGE disaster.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm going to do the inside of my house and my office next weekend and maybe the front porch area. I will do the yard on October 6/7. Can't wait.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts