Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to posting something to YouTube! I had about 200 visitors and maybe 100 walked through my haunt. It's not too scary, I keep it fairly tame as we have a lot of young children. Still it was a lot of fun to put together... Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
You got a lot of bang for the buck there in your one-car garage. I love how everything showed up in your video. Very eerie and details like the cobwebs on the skeleton, nice touch. Nice routine on the greeting reaper. Glad you had a good turnout. Definitely worth the kids time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got a lot of bang for the buck there in your one-car garage. I love how everything showed up in your video. Very eerie and details like the cobwebs on the skeleton, nice touch. Nice routine on the greeting reaper. Glad you had a good turnout. Definitely worth the kids time.
Thank you... it is a small space that is difficult to maximize the haunting... I am very jealous of people with 2- and 3-car garages. Recently I added some new details about the setup and props in the show notes for the video (The video is still the same... BTW: This is my first video I posted to YouTube.) Anyway, I will post more content on my YouTube channel as soon as I can. I think I'd like to post how I made, modified, or recycled the various props shown in the video. Any suggestions and advice is welcome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What projector are you using? They all look expensive!

I will get back to you later with the make and model # details... but I should forewarn you: It's a real "El Cheap-o" projector -- I was lucky that someone gave me the projector (for free) because it was not bright enough to be used as a home theater projector and the video quality wasn't great either, but it's worked out great for my purposes. I was very happy to get it! BTW: This is my second year using the projector.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how did you trigger your projector to loop that clip? How r your other props triggered
All props and video were automatically triggered with PIR sensors, I had a total of 3. The video clip was played from a Raspberry Pi Zero-W connected to the El-Cheap-o projector over HDMI. A Python script monitors a GPIO pin and when the PIR detected movement the script launches the OMX player and plays the video... BTW: if you're interested in a few more details, I put some in the video notes, if you go directly to YouTube and expand those notes then you'll see them. (Here's a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hSLqMyUDs)

I realize for some, that might not be enough detail to make this themselves... I don't mind sharing details, So as soon as time permits I plan to put tutorials and details how I accomplished the haunt on my YouTube Channel. Some of the ideas/inspiration I got from YouTube and it doesn't hurt to have a background in electronics and computer science (LOL). Most of the props I built in myself (Brick Pillars, fence, signs, etc.), or I rebuilt them in the case of the "Grim Greeter", the scene-setter in the background in the graveyard was an Amazon purchase. Everyone has their own ideas how to do things, and that is why I like this forum to exchange those ideas... I have some ideas to share with the community here at the forum and on YouTube: everything from connectors to code and even tinkering with wireless haunt/prop-control but I'm getting way ahead of myself... I plan to roll it out over time.

In the meantime, I will be happy to answer questions the best I can.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What projector are you using? They all look expensive!
I am trying to track down the projector make and model without any luck... I think this guy bought it on E-Bay or something for around $80. It is a nondescript projector that came from China. There are no specs or markings on this unit... In Google search images I found a model exactly like the one I have minus the brand name -- "UNIC" --

CheapProjector.jpg

I guess one company makes all the same and they get branded and sold through various channels... Very suspect if you ask me... Remember the reason I got it was that it didn't fit the purpose he purchased it and it was more hassle to do a return. And one of the problems I have with this projectors, and probably others like them, is that the room must be fairly dark otherwise it is washed out. I got mine for free, so I'm lucky it works for my Halloween display.

On the other hand, I didn't want to leave you empty handed, so I did a search for cheap LED projectors, and found a $90.00 projector from Amazon -- it might even be better than the one I have -- it seems like a reasonable price for what it is.
I have no idea how good or bad this one it -- and I don't plan on purchasing this myself to find out... so I make no claims about it, so it's buyer beware...
https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Upgraded-Portable-Projector-Compatible/dp/B078KF8CSX/

P.S. if others have recommendations for inexpensive projectors that would be helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts