Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just randomly decided last week to do a Carnival theme! One room in our house has high, pitched ceilings, so that will be perfect to drape fabric or tablecloths to give illusion of being inside a circus tent ! Just trying to think of a theme for our other large congregating space!
Ideally would love the whole party be outdoors, but I'm terrified of weather risk and don't want to shell major bucks for weather proof tent rental !
Loved reading everyone's themes !!!

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
We don't really have the money to drastically change things each year, so the house is always just kind of Addams Family-esque spooky and bizarre. HOWEVER, for our party itself, I'm thinking of doing the food and stuff with a Beetlejuice theme, since I'm going to be Lydia this year. (From the cartoon - I LOVE the spiderweb poncho!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last year was my first year and it was a success so I'm going to keep the ball rolling and kick it up a notch with a Friday the 13th theme with lots of Easter eggs for fans of the series. This will be the first time featuring actor(s). I might be ambitious and try and go for a facade for the garage this year as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was planning to take it easy, but i'm thinking now I'd like to do a garden/tea party. Just moved to a new place with potential space for a gathering in the back or front yard.

Anyway, whatever I do is going to involve easy stuff with simple foods. Possibly some experiments with green food coloring. Silkworm pupae may make an appearance.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
we're leaning toward "7 deadly sins" for our party this year. my wife suggested it, and while i'm sure it's been done before, i hadn't thought of it or seen it before and i think it's genius.

i've always wanted to do a theme that keeps everything generally tied together, but i've shied away from most themes because i don't want guests to feel like i'm pigeonholing them in regard to costumes, or to skip the party because they're not fans of the theme, or whatever. this lets us do a theme while still keeping the party as just a general halloween party (not something more specific), and it lends itself very easily to decorations, food, themed rooms, etc.

·
Registered
865 Posts
To theme or not to theme? I always do a theme for my haunts because it gives it focus and continuity. It also narrows the budget down to only buying items that fit the theme. I carry the theme right through to the menu for the after party.

The downside is that I end up with piles of themed décor and costumes that I'll never use again because I don't repeat themes. (Yet I can't give it away just in case....) Of course some items can do crossover. You can use rats, bats, and creepy crawlies for any theme. Same with many costumes and masks. But a clown is a clown is a clown. Unless it's a zombie clown. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't like to do themes because it means figuring out/making some new props each year and buying a few more. My sister in law is my help on this though and she can't seem to function without a theme. This is year #11 for our halloween party so I have a LOT of halloween decorations and don't really like just adding more to satisfy her ideas about themes, plus am running out of ideas. We have done witches twice and skeletons twice and one year of no theme plus assorted themes the other years. This year it is Edgar Allen Poe and I'm concerned about the decor for as big of an area as we do on that theme so will probably throw in some ghosts, witches, skeletons, etc to fill the gaps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
2nd year house haunting- Last year was Star Wars, this year is Sleepy Hollow/Salem. Figure I can alternate between the 2, and improve props/projects as the years go on. I'm switching out my Kylo Ren Scarecrow for one similar to the Tim Burton version as well as the HH, also adding a witches cauldron, and added a few tombstones related to Sleepy Hollow. I have lots of young TOTs and I want eerie and slightly scary but not gruesome, my HOA is pretty strict.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just randomly decided last week to do a Carnival theme! One room in our house has high, pitched ceilings, so that will be perfect to drape fabric or tablecloths to give illusion of being inside a circus tent ! Just trying to think of a theme for our other large congregating space!
Ideally would love the whole party be outdoors, but I'm terrified of weather risk and don't want to shell major bucks for weather proof tent rental !
Loved reading everyone's themes !!!
Make sure you check out 'At Home'. They have some cool carnival themed stuff this year!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Still using the castle wall but instead of walking into it like last 3 years, I'm turning it 180 degrees so it will be the back drop as you walk through a haunted graveyard. Will be the last year for the castle wall. Gonna try to sell it if I can't then I'll be taking the foam stone off and making something else out of the panels. Also will be doing way less walls for a walk through. Took to long to set up and tear down last year. Took the fun out of it in the end.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was planning to take it easy, but i'm thinking now I'd like to do a garden/tea party. Just moved to a new place with potential space for a gathering in the back or front yard.

Anyway, whatever I do is going to involve easy stuff with simple foods. Possibly some experiments with green food coloring. Silkworm pupae may make an appearance.
this sounds neat! Please share photos after!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last year was Haunted Hotel; think this year is going to be something along the lines of Witches Abroad- it's going to be themed around a coven of witches going on a package holiday

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
we're leaning toward "7 deadly sins" for our party this year. my wife suggested it, and while i'm sure it's been done before, i hadn't thought of it or seen it before and i think it's genius..
Seven Deadly Sins was my absolute favorite of all the haunts I've done. Here's a link to my Photobucket account with pictures of the event. In hindsight I had a million more ideas I could have/wish I had incorporated. Always more than happy to help if you want a sounding board for this theme:

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/BlueFrogCreations/library/Seven Deadly Sins/

The idea was not original to me. A year or two before I'd seen an Australian haunter here who did it in his/her house, using almost no traditional "Halloween props" because of lack of availability, and it was wonderful.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
"It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Science Fair" - in which the kids' experiments have gone dangerously awry :)

Some years ago, a friend had come up with the idea of the "Future Haunters of America" and although we've kicked around for years, I never quite found the hook until tonight. That organization will be sponsoring the science fair.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Undead pirates and after Halloween I plan to purge most of the collection so keep a weathered eye on me for sales afterward. I plan to do this every year with different themes and Im starting with what I have the most 50 gallon bins full of.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Evil circus/ freak show/carnevil is our theme this year. We are doing it at a campground that does a big trick or treat thing since we don't have trick or treaters where we live. We have a lot of my husband's family involved also. Everyone is super excited. We have clowns, ringmaster, fortune teller, lion tamer, 2 headed lady, magician, sword swallow, fat lady, dog boy, tightrope walker, bearded lady, and some that haven't decided yet

·
Registered
30 Posts
TERROR IN THE PUMPKIN PATCH!

Think creepy pumpkins and sinister scarecrows...all set among a nest of pumpkin vines.

My husband came up with a funny idea--have a huge pumpkin with the lifeless bodies of Charlie Brown and Linus hanging out of its mouth--It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!

61 - 80 of 106 Posts