Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll get the ball rolling this season. I put my outside stuff out last weekend, and have been tweaking it here and there ever since (I can't leave well enough alone) :D. I think I got carried away taking pictures, so sorry about the abundance of them. As you can see below I don't have the biggest lot. My driveway cuts my front yard into two narrow strips of land....so I do the best I can with what I got. These are some pics during the daytime.....

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.....and here are some at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was going to say it looks good, but then I got to the "night" pictures with the lighting! Wow, the coloring really kicks the whole thing up a few notches! I wish I could start setting up, but too many vandals and thieves around here....

Got me in the mood though for sure bwhahaha

What kind of lighting are you using? LED? Floodlights? Great blue coloring

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
WOW great setup and great photos , its fantastic it takes on a totally different look in the dark and i am guessing there's going to be a few nervous kids on the big night .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to say it looks good, but then I got to the "night" pictures with the lighting! Wow, the coloring really kicks the whole thing up a few notches! I wish I could start setting up, but too many vandals and thieves around here....

Thanks!!

I picked up a few blue LED flood lights at Lowes this year. I'm really pleased with the vibrant color it kicks out. Plus, they really create some awesome shadows which is what I was going for. It blows away the blue fluorescent light bulbs I put in clamp light fixtures last year. Not even close!!

Here's a link to those bulbs:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-85-W-Equivalent-Blue-PAR38-LED-Decorative-Light-Bulb/1000297621

·
Registered
714 Posts

Thanks!!

I picked up a few blue LED flood lights at Lowes this year. I'm really pleased with the vibrant color it kicks out. Plus, they really create some awesome shadows which is what I was going for. It blows away the blue fluorescent light bulbs I put in clamp light fixtures last year. Not even close!!

Here's a link to those bulbs:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-85-W-Equivalent-Blue-PAR38-LED-Decorative-Light-Bulb/1000297621
I bought the exact same bulbs!!!:) I got blue and green. I havent tried them out yet but now Im excited to see them!:)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bought the exact same bulbs!!!:) I got blue and green. I havent tried them out yet but now Im excited to see them!:)
I too went with the LED bulbs this year and here is a tip i learned the hard way. Make some sort of cover for your LED bulbs like this as they do get wet and go out. I make cover boxes out of old plywood that I paint black. The main reason is so you cant actually see the bulbs themselves from the road. Also to protect the bulbs a bit. But i had an issue where the bulbs were out past the front of the box a bit, got wet, and shorted out. So i took some clear poly lexan and make shields that went over the lights and it worked well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I too went with the LED bulbs this year and here is a tip i learned the hard way. Make some sort of cover for your LED bulbs like this as they do get wet and go out. I make cover boxes out of old plywood that I paint black. The main reason is so you cant actually see the bulbs themselves from the road. Also to protect the bulbs a bit. But i had an issue where the bulbs were out past the front of the box a bit, got wet, and shorted out. So i took some clear poly lexan and make shields that went over the lights and it worked well.[/QUOTEp]

Oh no! Im not sure if I have time to fabricate covers :-( Thanks so much for letting me know!! Those bulbs get pricey!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I too went with the LED bulbs this year and here is a tip i learned the hard way. Make some sort of cover for your LED bulbs like this as they do get wet and go out. I make cover boxes out of old plywood that I paint black. The main reason is so you cant actually see the bulbs themselves from the road. Also to protect the bulbs a bit. But i had an issue where the bulbs were out past the front of the box a bit, got wet, and shorted out. So i took some clear poly lexan and make shields that went over the lights and it worked well.
Yea, this is problem I was hoping to dodge. So far we've had two decent rain falls, and my bulbs have survived both times. I had boxes over my lights in the past, but this year I wanted to angle my lights up, more so than out. I think it looks better that way. However, the downside to that is the boxes can't be used because the top of the box will the block the light.

For now I'll keep things the way they are, but the second one of my bulbs goes out (due to rain) I'll have to rethink my approach.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yea, this is problem I was hoping to dodge. So far we've had two decent rain falls, and my bulbs have survived both times. I had boxes over my lights in the past, but this year I wanted to angle my lights up, more so than out. I think it looks better that way. However, the downside to that is the boxes can't be used because the top of the box will the block the light.

For now I'll keep things the way they are, but the second one of my bulbs goes out (due to rain) I'll have to rethink my approach.

That was mine I had 2 go out on me. As for the ones that point up, I have some like that. I made a three sided box with no top and then took the lexan and made the top cover so the light still shines through the top. Worked out really well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was mine I had 2 go out on me. As for the ones that point up, I have some like that. I made a three sided box with no top and then took the lexan and made the top cover so the light still shines through the top. Worked out really well.
Thanks

I might actually look into this before I start losing light bulbs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snapped a few pictures last night, but this time with the fog machines rolling for the Trick-or-Treaters. Even though I couldn't achieve the ground fog I wanted (outside air was too cold - 38 degrees), the fog still lingered around long enough to create a cool effect in the graveyard.

For some reason we got about half the kids we did last year...maybe the cold kept them away, who knows. But we still had a good time, and the neighborhood seemed to enjoy everything they saw when they walked by our house.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I decided at the last minute (yesterday morning) to move my pirate skeleton crew outside (I had originally set them up in our dining room) at the entrance to the house, and add fog to it-
20171031_191503.jpg

I threw together my blue water lights with extra extension cords and created a spooky but kid-friendly scene. 20171031_202256.jpg
I got to assemble all the props I made for this scurvy crew and show them all off at one shot.

20171031_194916.jpg

Here's a daytime picture (complete with a salty dog by the mailbox!)

20171031_110150.jpg

Not many ToTr's this year (about 14 kids, not counting parents), but they all enjoyed the display, and lingered for awhile to look at the details-- and my wife and I had a nice evening overall, watching the night go by with our best friends, the skeleton crew!

20171031_202142.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts