Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where we are it is pumpkin planting time ( central North Carolina). I didn't see a thread started for this years pumpkin planting so I thought I would start one. We failed pretty badly last year lol. Hopefully there will be plenty of interest for this thread!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! I was doing a little research and it seems that it is best to plant seeds directly in the ground. The soil temperature should be 70 degrees. I think for where we are this is the time to start preparing the soil. From what I've read so you need to pick a spot that gets a lot of sun. Preparing the soil involves mounding up soil mixed with manure fertilizer some time (a few days or a week?) before sowing a half dozen or so seeds. They should sprout in five to ten days. Then thin out the sprouts to 2 or 3 of the better ones. They need lots of water and regular fertilizing while growing too. After this little bit of research I can safely say we did just about everything wrong lol.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Last year was my first attempt ever at growing pumpkins. Lots of rookie mistakes made, for sure!!!
While I did good quantity-wise(almost 30), their sizes were pitiful. JOL's, Triple Treats & Big Moons~only a few carvable ones
from the entire patch. It was still exciting seeing them grow :D and looking forward to being a Pumpkin mama again this year!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Still debating on to do one this year or not. I miss it after skipping last season. The plan was to move the location to the other side of the yard for this year. We'll see. I'm still a few months away from doing it anyway.

·
Registered
42,951 Posts
My pumpkin patch is finally clear of snow and ice but still way too early here in the Northeast to do much of anything. Going to be growing Jack o lantern type and also giant pumpkins again this year. If I have enough space available I hope to plant some Jack Be Little pumpkins also.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's way too early here, but I should look into getting some seeds of an actual variety, rather than the generic pouch with the pic of the jack o'lantern on it. Anyone have a good site?

·
Registered
42,951 Posts
I get my Jack o lantern seeds from Johnny's Seeds Company. They are called Champion Jack o lantern, I have had real good luck with them and they produce beautiful pumpkins. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can't believe you can start your pumpkins now! I get seed crazy! Can't plant here until May. Believe me, if I could start seeds now, I would! You're so lucky! I'm still trying to decide what to order. My Mom found a black and orange one in a seed catalog and thinks I should order it. When I first tried Fairy Tale they didn't turn orange (well, coppery brownish) by Halloween. They were quite dark green. Always an experiment!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I'm so glad there's interest in this! I know it may be early, but sooner started more fun had right? Well, today we went to WallyWorld and picked up 40 lbs of humus manure mix and 40 lbs of garden soil. We picked a nice sunny spot and will likely set to it preparing our pumpkins home in a few days.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Im in KY. Our planting is the last weekend of May. I planted a pumpkin patch a few years ago and did pretty good. I need to
get a tiller and till up a large garden again but I was planning on planting a patch for this year. We should post pics of our progress
in this thread. This will be fun.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We're last week in May, too. Usually, depends how wet the garden is. I need to till mine, too. We had endless rain here in Missouri last summer and I just gave up as did most other gardeners. Couldn't even apply pesticides (organic, of course) because it would wash off in two days. Weeds everywhere. January is usually when I choose pumpkin seeds. I'm a bit behind this year. Live for the garden, I do! Very therapeutic!

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can also start the seeds in peat pots. Less disruptive. I start mine in plastic flats, one per cell so I know if that seed is good. I do super fast transplanting so I've never had the shock problem but if you are unfamiliar you might want to try a few peat pots, too. In warm temps the seeds sprout quickly. I've had it happen in 3 days but heat is the key.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We planted some seeds for starts here. I think in about a month or so we can plant them. I'm not sure what kind we've got, because we didn't label most of the seeds we saved last year. But hopefully the second generation grows better. We've also got some jack o lantern seeds.

I've got several orange flowers to grow this year. I think I've planted 30 sunflower seeds so far, and also some amaranth.

I also need to start some corn seeds. Last year's corn was a failure, and I am really hoping to have some corn stalks to decorate with!

·
Registered
764 Posts
You can also start the seeds in peat pots. Less disruptive. I start mine in plastic flats, one per cell so I know if that seed is good. I do super fast transplanting so I've never had the shock problem but if you are unfamiliar you might want to try a few peat pots, too. In warm temps the seeds sprout quickly. I've had it happen in 3 days but heat is the key.
Im going to try that. Thanks for the info. Im going to plant like 2 dozen and keep them inside before going out inot the ground, maybe plant them like 4 weeks prior then normal to get a jump on everything.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I just ordered my seeds from Burpee. They are having a 20% off sale this weekend. The code is TWT20. I know that many people feel that seeds are seeds and would never buy a premium seed. I used Burpee the first year and Home Depot seeds last year, I perceived a noticeable difference. Plus, we are not talking earth shattering money to buy from Burpee.

I have decided this year to try the Atlantic Giant backed up with some smaller pumpkins. I lose so many plants to the vine borers. I usually start out with about 36 plants and end up with about 6 pumpkins. With Atlantic Giant all I need is for one to sneak through and I will have something to brag about. And the little bat wing pumpkins can be planted after the 4th of July which is right after my largest wave of vine borers. Plus, if I get a lot of the small pumpkins we will give them out to the kids.

Good luck everyone,

Brian

Pumpkin, Atlantic Giant, , large
]
Pumpkin, Atlantic Giant
Item Number:
61110A - 1 Pkt. (13 Seeds)
IN STOCK
$4.95
Pumpkin, Batwing Hybrid, , large
Pumpkin, Batwing Hybrid
Item Number:
64805A - 1 Pkt. (30 seeds)
IN STOCK
$5.95

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'm in :) We had a great year for both pumpkins and gourds last year, although mine were ready several weeks after most others on here. I plan to try some big pumpkins, but in my climate, I don't think I'd do well in a competition! I want to try Prizewinner. They're smaller than Atlantic Giants, but can still get over 100 lbs, plus I like the shape and color-- deeper orange and less prone to ooze and flatten. No disrespect to Atlantic Giants-- I absolutely love the way they can be carved! Pretty amazing!

LadyMage-- it's hard to know what to do, isn't it? It will be a temptation to plant early, but a sudden switch to more typical weather can really make a mess of things!

I agree wholeheartedly with Col. Fryght about buying good seeds. Re-using gathered seed is a gamble, and a pack of seeds costs only about as much as a single pumpkin costs many places. It can be fun to try a few of your own plants' seeds if you have plenty of space, but I wouldn't put all my proverbial eggs in that basket. If you have species plants (that had closed pollination) it's fine, but with hybrids, there's no telling what you'll get. It might be great, or might not. There's even a chance of producing sterile plants that will grow beautifully, but not produce any pumpkins. Nothing wrong with giving gathered seeds a try-- just be aware, as I said, it's a gamble.

Did you grow batwings last year, Brian? If so, how did they do for you? They didn't do as well for me as other varieties. Mine were virally blighted-- lumpy & with mosaic patterns in the leaves. It didn't show up until mid season, but it showed up only in that variety-- several plants, with other varieties planted in between. Either it was a much more vulnerable variety, or I bought infected seeds. (I got a few decent pumpkins from them-- those that set early. I picked them fairly early, then dug and burned the vines.)

I never plant an entire packet, but I'll use left-overs for 2-3 years. They retain viability well. After I get plants started, I'll try to remember to list what I have plenty of, and offer to share a couple each of varieties where I have plenty-- for people who'd like to try one hill but don't want to buy an entire packet. (I won't offer any of the old Batwing seed; I tossed those, just in case.)

1 - 20 of 473 Posts