Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the student's thread for the second project of 2016, The Spider Levitator. DaveintheGrave will be the instructor. This is where you'll post your questions, comments and your progress during the build.

1,416 Posts
I noticed you were planning on using a Chinese company for the motor. Last year we ran into an issue on a completely different type of product produced for us in China... it was the Chinese New Year, or 7 days of partying. I'm told that it apparently shuts down the whole country forever and back logs things terribly. Our product was time sensitive and was promised to delivered no later then the last week of April, were told in April oops sorry Chinese New Year shipment will not be till sometime in late May. Not sure if the new year moves around or not but this year it starts on the Feb 8... so it might take longer then expected to get the motor.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Yes, I order the motors from China because they are so cheap. Thanks for the info. on the Chinese New Year celebrations. Gee, and I thought we Americans were partiers!
The seller's note on ebay said selling would resume on Feb. 9th. That's all I'm going on. there ARE other Chinese sellers on e-bay with similar motors, just I can't vouch for how reliable these sellers are.

I also meant to mention in my thread that a member of this forum (Diabolik) runs Spider Hill Prop Works and he sells one of these same synchronous motors. It's a bit more expensive than the Chinese motor, but it already has a crank and mounting plate attached to it. It's the 6 RPM motor.
This could be an alternative. His customer service is top-notch and I'm sure he would appreciate the business.

http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/6-RPM-Synchronous-Gear-Motor-KIT_p_34.html

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to seeing how you make the pulleys out of wood Dave. Lowes isn't giving me the option for free store shipping and I hate paying more for shipping than for the pulley itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am really really interested in making this prop and I'm trying to get the clothes line pulley but cant seem to find any here in the UK!! Some are coming up on ebay from America but slightly pricey on the P&P. Could you please point me in the right direction for the best one and I can get it ordered???? Thanks and will you be posting the ebay motor link soon, as I could get that ordered too. Thanks a million.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Hi Minksocks,
I hate to see you have to spend a lot of money on a plastic pulley. Maybe I should post in the instructor's thread NOW on how I make my own pulleys out of wood, on occasion.
And to tell the truth, anything that is similar to a pulley will work. The first one of these I built, I used the empty spool from a spool of fishing line. It had to be modified a bit to work, but anything similar to that should work.
And the motor--I'm waiting for the ebay seller to re-start selling these motors, supposedly around Feb. 10th.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You mentioned SpiderHill giving a group deal on the motors. If that pans out, count me in. I've had stuff from China arrive promptly, and other things take 2 months or more.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
OK, thanks! I'm waiting to see how many are interested in getting the motors from Spider Hill. The motor kit he sells would definitely make the build a lot simpler.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for replying to my comments Dave. Could I be a pain and ask another? Spider Hill, does he ship to the UK? And if so, how much? Thanks Dave

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
I don't know if he does or not. I'll ask him.
If he doesn't, I can order it and ship it to you myself. I wouldn't think it would cost too much, since it hardly has any weight to it.

Oh, you're not being a pain. I'm happy to help anytime!

NOTE: I posted a video link to the Spider Levitator in my first post in the Instructor's thread.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Thanks for replying to my comments Dave. Could I be a pain and ask another? Spider Hill, does he ship to the UK? And if so, how much? Thanks Dave
What size pulley wheel is required? I pulled an old multi-gym apart last year and I kept the wheels. If they are the right size I could post them to you - if I can remember where I put them that is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
DandyBrit not sure what size pulley I would need as its for this spider prop, once I find out I could let you know. Thanks for your help.

Daveinthegrave thanks for answering my questions, Brilliant. Thanks to both guys for your kind offers.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'll have a hunt and see if I can dig them out - the spare room needs a good fettle anyway so it will force me to do something about it.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
Hey,

I don't have access to Dave's YouTube video at work but trusting my shaky memory I think the motor is the same motor used in a lot of North American microwave ovens. I see a lot of free microwaves listed on things like Kijijii and Craigslist all the time.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Hey,

I don't have access to Dave's YouTube video at work but trusting my shaky memory I think the motor is the same motor used in a lot of North American microwave ovens. I see a lot of free microwaves listed on things like Kijijii and Craigslist all the time.
Thanks, doto ! I think it's the same motor. As long as it reverses itself when stalled, it should work. And if the motor shaft is adaptable for mounting a pulley to it.

I recommend a 4 to 5 inch diameter pulley, preferably made of plastic. A metal pulley may be too heavy to work properly.

I'm going to post here ASAP how to make your own pulley, if desired.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dave - He has very kindly private messaged me but I would have to tell him what I would need for the built so he can let me know the price, plus he said he'd do one with a faster motor. Hoping that would make the spider move a bit quicker?? Im not techie so I'm new to the moving prop builds.
Thanks Dave

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Minksocks--You could go ahead and order the motor kit from him. It would already have a mounting plate attached to the motor shaft that should make it easier to mount the pulley to the motor.

A faster motor would be good, but right now I wouldn't recommend going faster than the 10/12 RPM motor (that's what I use). I've been experimenting and wanted to us a 36 RPM motor, but that motor takes very little resistance to make it reverse itself. Which means it would not be able to lift very much weight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts