Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, January 1st and I am committing to a theme! The timing is right with Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad both coming out this year.

"Dawnski," you ask, "Are you out of your mind on a Batman party? It's so not horror." Nay I say. You've got such wonderful villains like The Joker, Scarecrow, Mr. Freeze, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Riddler and more. There are opportunities for some horror themes with Arkham asylum and Joker's Fun land. In regards to props, I am starting from scratch on this one, folks. There is very little on this theme here on HF. And not much "adult" party wise on the Internet. But I am happy to be a trail blazer in this area.

So for now, this board is going to be all about ideas. Please chime in your thoughts. As the year progresses I'll share my prop building and setting up. So click on "killer post" below or add a comment so you can follow along on this crazy Halloween journey I'm taking for 2016. Here is my idea board https://www.pinterest.com/zim2/halloween-dc-villains/ and art board https://www.pinterest.com/zim2/art-batmandc/

Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 3.36.17 PM.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The set up is that the Batman villains have escaped Arkham Asylum. I'm taking ideas from the movies, TV show and video game.

Batman is hanging by his feet above the door. A security guard is stabbed and laying in the walk. The inside front entrance and corridor will look like the asylum. My living room will be Wayne manor complete with the Shakespeare bust and sliding poles to the bat cave.
vlcsnap-3472675.jpg

The kitchen will further along the asylum theme. My family room is going to be a darkened black light Joker Funhouse. Glad to get a little CarnEvil in there. Our bartender has begged me not to do the black lights in the basement because she can barely see to make drinks so I'm going to try it out here. This room will be playing Batman 1966 TV episodes.

For the dining room, I'm hoping to set up the Batman Dark Knight scene with the Joker visiting Two Face in the hospital. I want to put a two-face mask on my John Doe sitting body prop.
joker-nurse-the-dark-knight-had-some-dark-on-set-secrets-jpeg-251217.jpg

One bathroom will be Harley Quinn's room showing all her crazy love for Joker. The other bathroom will be devoted to The Riddler and his riddles. Leading down to our basement will be the bat cave using brown craft paper for the walls. The bar is going to be the Penguin's Iceberg Lounge. On the side I'm going to have an area devoted to Mr. Freeze.
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 4.01.47 PM.jpg

Scattered throughout, I'll have other villains and some of those ridiculous, classic Batman death traps from the TV show. Outside, we're going to have that smoldering zombie from Spirit Halloween. I'm going to dress him as Clark Kent with a burnt superman symbol. Now you know where I stand on the whole Batman vs Superman thing. This year my goal will be cool props and photo opportunities for our guests. Our group is usually pretty good about dressing to theme so I'm hoping for some good super hero/villain costumes.
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 4.05.22 PM.jpg

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
ooo I like this idea! Also--I am interested in that brown paper idea to create a cave wall....I can use that for my theme. Any idea as to what the process is for this technique? Is it just crinkled and then taped to the walls?

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oddly enough, I found the technique online from teachers. They would decorate their hallways with it. Rolls of craft paper wadded up, then slightly smoothed out. Cut length to wall height & add 1'-2' extra depending how "deep" you want crevices to look. Tape undersides to each other (avoids gaping) and hang. I've never tried it but it seems easy enough. I couldn't find the pic, but I've seen others use a 2x4 frame with chicken wire underneath when they wanted to really build out the cave features. http://constructionofthecreative.blogspot.co.nz/2011/08/how-to-make-cave-part-1.html
d528364756107533718ca2006d4f809e.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 9.23.04 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 9.23.17 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 9.23.37 AM.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was fortunate to snag these old penguin blow molds. They are going to be part of my Iceberg Lounge. I want to repaint them to look like the ones from the Batman movie with Danny DeVito as The Penguin. I'm thinking simple acrylic paint on these unless anyone has a better suggestion. For the bomb apparatus I thought I'd use craft foam sheets, floral wire and paper towel tube.
penguins.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 8.51.30 AM.jpg

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I was fortunate to snag these old penguin blow molds. They are going to be part of my Iceberg Lounge. I want to repaint them to look like the ones from the Batman movie with Danny DeVito as The Penguin. I'm thinking simple acrylic paint on these unless anyone has a better suggestion. For the bomb apparatus I thought I'd use craft foam sheets, floral wire and paper towel tube.
Your entire party plan sounds fantastic!! However, something near and dear to my heart is the blowmold penguin idea. That is so clever.
I've retired from Christmas decorating and I have some of these, I am tempted to pull a few out and make some evil penguin minions of my own!!

Well, you always do such a wonderful detailed job with your parties. Looking forward to seeing you execute this year's theme.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't get to say this often. "I bought a commercial crab trap." Yes, the crazy build purchases have begun. You just never know what you're going to find on these garage sale websites. Now what does this look like, I ask you? Yes, it is going to be the bat signal.

It weighs about 10 lbs and is 29 inches diameter. Anyone chime in here on the potential build. Since I have very little technical skills, I thought I would make a base out of PVC. The sides I could simply wrap in black gorilla/duct tape (after removing the wire mesh). I would shine a work light through the back. The actual bat signal is a little iffy. It's possible I could get some plywood and cut out the symbol. That would be the most durable but I'm not sure if I could do it nicely. I thought some kind of cheap plexiglass (poster frame) might work with it painted on. But I'm worried the work light would melt it.

All in all, it's very durable. I'm sure I'll be able to figure out other uses for this thing. But something tells me the hubby may want to keep the bat signal.
bat_signal.jpg

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
lol, way to think "outside" of the box...that will make a great bat signal

Have you been on the Oriental Trading website? I noticed they have a lot of batman stuff in the party section

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The crab trap is pretty cool, but wouldn't a large straight-sided washtub be lighter and easier to work with? They're pretty cheap, and it would be easier to cut a hole for the light in the bottom than it would be to create a bottom and sides to attach to a framework. (Plus they have built-in handles). LED spot would be good for producing a bit less heat.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was at an estate sale today and so happy to pick up the Grandin Road Velma and Evander talking busts. I'm going to put labels that they are the ghosts of Thomas and Martha Wayne, Bruce's dead parents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eIQ-n-YxkE
velma-evander-interactive-marble-busts-1.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I'm not into football, Super Bowl is a time to get some crafting done. I picked up a his/her Greek busts at a thrift store years ago and they have served me every Halloween. So easy to just spray paint them white after Halloween. I'm planning to have my family room turned into a black light version of Wayne Manor, if the Joker took it over. You totally know he would eff up all of Bruce's stuff. This is the first one. I used Wildfire black light paint. I'm going to turn the female bust into Harley later in the year. I also painted the flower with yellow black light paint. Haven't tried it out with the lighting yet. Can't wait.
bust1.jpg bust2.jpg

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Very cool idea! I hope you'll share the look under lights some time in the future.
I couldn't help but notice your ceiling fixture. I love that set. I have a wall sconce that matches (soft-wired so it's not permanent).

1 - 20 of 210 Posts