Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know the 99 CENT ONLY STORES located in the west/southwest (CA, TX, AZ and NV) have carried some inexpensive items great for halloween project use and come halloween time they have had some very desirable halloween specific items (see past yearly threads). While similar to DOLLAR TREE, they are a different merchandise chain and not related.

BTW I believe they have plans to expand this year. Important to note is that as of last year some of the prices on items have increased beyond .99. The majority are still .99. If you post item photos, please try to list a price if not .99. Thanks.

Here's a few photos from my stop in there yesterday.

Grabbed their package of 4 bamboo stakes (1.99 each) for use in my jungle haunt theme. They are 6.5 feet which is taller than most I've seen at the "dollar type" stores. Plan to use to create a bamboo arched gateway. Also note in the photo that they are carrying the spiked black lawn edging handy for fence toppers.

These 12-inch high plastic LED lit letters (2.99 each) have carnival potential. Wish I would have gotten to the store earlier for a better selection but here's what my store had.

The decorative vacuformed framed mirrors are back again this year. The black framed ones go fast. Nice light weight not requiring much for support. And without the mirror in it, no worries about it falling and someone getting hurt. Members have used as gothic mirrors or have replaced the mirror with "family" portraits of vampires, zombies, etc.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
I need one of those black mirrors. Hope they still have them when I go back to Dallas week after next. Dang, I was there last week and could have stopped!:mad:

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When i built my backyard Tomb I put real, old bricks mortared in place and a big steel door with hinges i had made ,all being the front of a 1963 home-made 4-horse horse trailer, then for that "Touch -of-Class" I bought a fancy , ornate metal cross from Dollar General and put it on the wall inside. OF course i purposely left the white cardboard on the cross that it came with, and yes, the white cardboard did say:"Dollar General" on it= Perfect!

(I may have insulted "Death"!? )

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Matrixmom had asked under photo comments whether at night when the letters were lit if you could discern what the letter was. Took this photo in the dark and will leave it up to you guys to decide. I personally thought the LEDs they used with the frosted globes to spread the light did a decent job lighting the letter up. Runs on 2AAs, switch on the side of the letter. I do think the black background and edging won't be as noticeable as say for example lettering done in Red or Yellow for example.

The back of the letter has the battery compartment, 2 triangular hangers, and a non-plastic back plate. The back plate seems more like a thick pressed cardboard-like material. Something to think about when you buy this or other lettering. I'm sure these were made for indoor use and not our intended outdoor carnevil use, and even higher priced letters are doubtfully waterproofed.

The lamps are not removable from what I can tell. Appear glued on. No idea what the rating of the LEDs inside are but these do seem very bright.

To modify the letters I can see tracing the letter shape on a colored material to use as a background insert (with cutouts for the bulb area) and essentially changing the colors of the letters that way. Suppose they could be "plastic" spray painted as well if you mask the bulbs but that might be tricky with all the curves of the plastic not to get paint run. With some more thought I could see possibly adding a strip of reflective metal tape (like for sealing ductwork) to the inside walls of the letter to help reflect light if needed.

With the limited selection of letters I had to choose from at my store I picked up the J, C, and K and will look for an A somewhere else. Thought I'd use it with a NBC Jack/Sally/Boogie display or with Jack-O-Lanterns. Jack-in-the-Box was another thought. If anyone happens to see an A at their 99 Cent Store I'd love to have one. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stopped in today and here's a few pics of things I thought would be useful in a haunt.

I bought one of these heavy cement-like garden gnomes. Liked the shovel in his hand and can picture him digging up a grave. He was 1.99, everything else below was 99 cents.

My store had these 2 black designs for garden edging (fence top designs):

Picked up a couple of packs of these plant markers for when I do my mad lab botanical area. Could see using on a buffet as well.

One of 3 types of ivy garland I saw. Picked up a dozen of the solid green ivy to drape at the entrance of the cemetery-arch "cave".

If you are looking for some Silver pieces for a pirate chest, this might be interesting.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad people like seeing the photos. I absolutely love the gnome. He's so heavy I feel good about him not tipping over once I've placed him.

So I was thinking of just painting his eyes white and maybe adding GID paint on top. Figure I'll put him in a flower bed with a small skeleton on the ground and mulch piled up to the side like he was being buried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts