Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread as I saw a post from Punkineater on the HG's shopping thread showing the return of the two cute gargoyle statutes from Rite Aid this year. Plus they are on sale right now.

·
Registered
20,817 Posts
I found them the other month, when there was also a sale, and bought the gargoyle on the left, who seems to be taking a page from Eeyore's playbook and sighing, "Oh bother..." As light as they are, there is no way that either is worth $20, but $10 is a spectacular buy.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I picked those up last year. I was hoping they had different designs this year. They also have other statues that are great for Halloween, but nothing new this year. It is a great place to check out and I don't pay full price for things there as there is always a sale around the corner.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a set of the gargoyles today at the 50% off price (9.99 ea) so thanks for the heads up Punkineater. I don't get their fliers, forget to check online, and only stop in there ocassionally, so easy to miss what's on sale.

I think I have a set from last year too. Hope these are similar in color to what I already have. Usually I look for one or two gargoyles each year to build up my "castle" theme collection. These are really light and I think they are a polystone. Not necessarily bad for halloween use if you want to put them on a column top and don't want something heavy up there to fall on someone, but easy to crack (as evidenced by a broken statute I saw on the shelf). I did take some photos of what they had in their garden center and will post tomorrow. I think according to their flier the sale ended today, 4/18, but not 100% certain.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some photos I grab in our store yesterday. It was a small store so tends to carry a subset of what's in larger stores. I added regular pricing info in my photo album.

I have another photo showing another section of multi-tiered shelving (with pricing on several items) but right now the album software seems messed up and I can't access the photo at all. Sent info to Larry who I hope will be able to help out. Will post when I can figure out how to correct and get to it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, I stopped by Rite Aid today and they had a good deal of Halloween merchandise on the shelves, with more boxes still to be unpacked. This is a Rite Aid that is totally old-school--it was one of the converted Thrifty's if some of my Cali peeps recall and a huge one. They've always carried more Halloween items than other Rite Aids, though not by a large margin. (It's in the most beat-up looking shopping center in an affluent town, with a Ross next door that has the most uneven, irregular floor I've ever seen in my life. I don't know if it is due to seismic activity or if it is because [I suspect] it is built on bay land-fill, but it is only going to be a matter of time before I break my neck in there. But I digress...) I was in a rush so not the best pix and their maintenance man on his lift was blocking some of the shelves but here's what I captured:
Footwear Collection Skull Shoe Personal protective equipment

Games Fictional character Advertising

Headstone Font Trophy

This flaming JOL was kinda weird. The lights inside were red and blue LED so the cast on the flame cloth is purple-fuschia and not terribly bright. Like the mean mug though:
Pumpkin Mouth Games Fictional character

·
Registered
123 Posts
More:

They have the skelly bulldog but it has the light up LED eyes and barks/snarls/growls--for a *really long time* with the try-it-now button. However, the skelly itself is really nicely done in that it has lots of movement at most of its joints--except for the neck. Can't really lift the head any higher.

Canidae Dog Snout French bulldog Dog breed

Here's the dogs heaped up together:
Skeleton Stone carving Architecture

This one turns it's head as it speaks:
Head Skull Bone

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
So, I stopped by Rite Aid today and they had a good deal of Halloween merchandise on the shelves, with more boxes still to be unpacked. This is a Rite Aid that is totally old-school--it was one of the converted Thrifty's if some of my Cali peeps recall and a huge one. They've always carried more Halloween items than other Rite Aids, though not by a large margin. (It's in the most beat-up looking shopping center in an affluent town, with a Ross next door that has the most uneven, irregular floor I've ever seen in my life. I don't know if it is due to seismic activity or if it is because [I suspect] it is built on bay land-fill, but it is only going to be a matter of time before I break my neck in there. But I digress...) I was in a rush so not the best pix and their maintenance man on his lift was blocking some of the shelves but here's what I captured:
View attachment 251663

View attachment 251664

View attachment 251665
This flaming JOL was kinda weird. The lights inside were red and blue LED so the cast on the flame cloth is purple-fuschia and not terribly bright. Like the mean mug though:
View attachment 251666

awesome pics V ! My Rite Aid only had a handful of stuff, just curious the Jack O Lantern is it plastic ? I hope mine gets it. thats one of my main Halloween items I collect pumpkins

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I never associated Rite Aid with Halloween goods. But last year I happened to go in after Halloween and found a pretty nice looking decapitated zombie head. A steal at 50% off. I cut off the realistic neck stump and used it for my CVS Headless Horseman, and the rest of the head is atop a zombie figure I built.
This year I'll be sure to stop in before Halloween to see what they have.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
V thanks for the pics! I haven't been in my store for a while and looking like it's time for a trip in. I'm not sure if the giant skulls on the very top shelf are the same as the few I bought before but if so are quite large and a foam material, so light weight, and good for putting on top of columns or staked posts, etc where weight can be a safety issue. Using a sale price to pick them up is the best way to go as I recall they were kind of pricey. You don't see many large foam skulls this size in stores so it's really a good find.

The light up Eyeball reminds me of the eyeballs lawn stakes that Buy Costumes has that had all of us cracking up over the video someone posted due to the swiveling motion of them. Perhaps these RA ones can be used for a similar look without the comical campy look.

Personally I'm not a fan of RA's joining the Plenti Rewards program, like why do I want my info shared among all those other companies if I understand the program correctly, but I've got the card which they automatically gave my husband when he last used our RA card, so will use it at least for any halloween purchases otherwise you can't get the sale prices.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I never associated Rite Aid with Halloween goods. But last year I happened to go in after Halloween and found a pretty nice looking decapitated zombie head. A steal at 50% off. I cut off the realistic neck stump and used it for my CVS Headless Horseman, and the rest of the head is atop a zombie figure I built.
This year I'll be sure to stop in before Halloween to see what they have.
I hit Rite Aid every year during their 50% off sale for just that reason: they have a new head every year. Helps me add variety without breaking the bank.

The skeletons were also a good deal during that time when they were hard to come by a year or two ago. I think they were regularly $60, so half put them at $30.

·
Registered
123 Posts
awesome pics V ! My Rite Aid only had a handful of stuff, just curious the Jack O Lantern is it plastic ? I hope mine gets it. thats one of my main Halloween items I collect pumpkins
Yes it's plastic. I will probably be getting one despite the odd flame when there's a 50% off deal--I do like unusual JOLs. Plus it's battery-powered.

They also had some JOLs that were a strange material--like rubber foam with a coating. They reminded me a little of those hand-held stress-reliever squishy things, but not actually soft. I only poked at them for a second, and the color was a very bright orange that has too much red in it for my preferences.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts