Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow Halloween nutties :)

I am starting to think about my setup for this year, and it will be a mad scientist lab, but instead of doing it in my shed like I did my pirate theme last year I want to build a small maze to create a bit of haunt.

here is a drawing of my idea, what do you guys think? extra tips or ideas are welcome.

the walls will be constructed of Sheetrock metal frame and covered with black plastic and burlap.

My biggest problem will be that I have to do the entire build myself, Halloween is still not a big thing here in Belgium and although I got about 700 visitors last year, none of the neighbors are in to it

so tips to speed it up (and keeping a tight budget) are more then welkome

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
Welcome to the world of walkthrough's. the best advice i can give you is start building NOW!!!! your already a week behind schedule. If you go to my albums on my profile i have some pictures of my last years structure, it took me 3 months to build and i have a whole family of haunters that help out. don't worry about the neighbors, if you build it they will come. Good luck and start your build quickly.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
Very cool dude. Building a walkthrough is very time consuming, thats why not a lot of people do them. but for the truly hardcore Halloween nuts, we like to go the extra mile. The good news is that most of those Halloween nut's around the world are members here and can help with any questions. Now hurry and get started, you need to spread the spirit of Halloween in Belgium.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My suggestions: Maybe you don't see a need for possibly attaching some plywood to your steel beams because you have good crowd control and people behave themselves?
I could see how if someone began pushing others, running, that injury could happen as bodies go against mere plastic sheets covering steel.
You wouldn't need to put plywood from top to bottom, just the shoulder height and kick-areas.
If you have a startling, aggressive actor or device moving at them, then you should have a substantial wall opposite such things.
I have signage all through my house "No Running", this also helps. Maybe you have no runners? Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: WickedWino

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great tip, tnx, in the previous years the garden whas mostly kid friendly (see my profile), this year I will try to make it a bit scarier with a bit more gore and (hopefully) a moving prop. (no actors)

So I have no experience with running or scared guests, so I will definitely reinforce some walls on strategic places

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like you're off to a good start! Planning is always the hard part for me. I'm soon to be doing the same thing. It's going to be a blast :)

Have you considered using Lauan plywood sheets instead of plastic walls?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how big the walkthru is..me and the metric system are nto compatible.

Are you going to store the walls? Are you going to put a "roof" over it?

Part of my walkthru is built out of Plywood on 2x4 frames so that I can just screw the sections together for easy setup and teardown. Since we deal with rain and snow, I put up a crisscrossing pattern of 2x4s across the roof and cover it with black plastic. If doing something similar, make sure that the wind can't get up and under the plastic or it turns into a big parachute and flys away....but if it stays secure, you have a sturdy dry haunt

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

it is about 7.5 x 18.2 feet :)

problem is that plywood is very expensive, about 12 € per m2 zo it will be plastic.
there will be a roof on top of it out wood paneling I have from last year, because I want to attach stuff to the roof like bats, spiders en webbing.

because I am using metal framing (which I can get for almost nothing at my workplace) I can store this outdoors

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've never done a walk through (though I dream of doing it one day,) so I don't have any experienced tips for you. BUT I can say that I absolutely love the hands coming out of the walls on the way out, and I can't quite tell what all is in the pictures on the bottom right that you have to choose from, but, aesthetically, the photo on the right seems to fit with your theme better. Since Halloween isn't big there, I'd say a turnout of 700 is pretty impressive for last year! Do you have any way to contact some of those people to help spread the word about this year's walk through? Can't wait to see pictures of your progress/the finished project!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The picture on the bottom right is about which way to go, in relation to the mad scientist laboratory theme the first option is a kind of slaughter house with body parts and gore

Or I can recuperate a part of my pirate theme from last year

I am a bit worried that the first option will be a bit to bloody, I am doing my garden since 2011 and kept it mostly kids friendly with a minimum of gore, this is a new direction, so I a bit worried of the response here.

Last year I have advertised the event on a website where you can find events like flee markets, museums, shows, etc, I received high ratings from the webmaster and they put me constantly on the front page and even created an permanent banner ad for me (free of charge), and I have a dedicated Facebook page (in Dutch) for the event.

Here is an impression of last year :

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Noben/library/Halloween/2014%20Halloween

·
Registered
146 Posts
You've got a great start using the metal framing. It sounds like it in itself will be very sturdy. Because of that, I'd use the lightest wall material...either foam or even pegboard. I've used 4x8 sheets of insulation foam (pink stuff) against my PVC pipe frames inside my garage for years. Much easier by yourself to do the build out. Also, zip-ties are your absolute best friends. It's so easy to put up a wall like this by just punching holes through it and attaching to your frame. When you tear it down, it's just snip, snip and the walls come down.
This pic is after Halloween in 2008 and the walls are still standing after 300 plus ToT's :) (pegboard, pvc, black plastic, and foamboard) I never have time to get good pics of the haunt in action. I'm too busy. :(
Room Architecture Door

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh, wow - free advertising is great! Is the site strictly Dutch?

I think you might be right about staying away from too much gore if most of your "customers" are kids. Your pirate area looked fantastic, or you could go with a less gory mad scientist lab with lots of green, glowing, gooey concoctions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.